Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: She’s old enough to get married? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, Kitty is old enough to get married, and has been for some time in the comics.

I know age in comics is a bit fluid and wonky, but things can get crazy. Like soap operas, babies are born one year, and the following year they are already school age.

Here's a fun game I am frankly too lazy too attempt myself:

Start with Franklin Richards birth in the 1968 "Fantastic Four Annual" #6 and try to figure out how many Marvel years has passed based on his current age, and then determine how old the following characters should be based on that information:

Richard Ryder (who was a teen-ager when he first appeared in 1976 (and still a teen in "New Warriors" #1 in 1990)

Luna Maximoff (born in "Fantastic Four" #240, 1982)

The Power Pack
kids (all were pre-teens in 1984)

Kitty Pryde (13 1/2 years old we were told in her first appearance in "Uncanny X-Men" #129, January 1980).

And Franklin's own sister, Valeria Richards, born in "Fantastic Four" #50, volume 3, 2002.

Time is a funny concept in the MU!

Edited to add: -- Oh, and keep in mind that the second "The Vision and The Scarlet Witch" mini-series from 1985 (which features the birth of their twins) took place over one full year from the first issue to the last, and "Namor The Sub-Mariner" #26 (2002) advanced the story one year in time. There may be other, similar instances to consider in doing the math with this game.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 23 April 2015 at 6:58pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

Matt, that way lies madness!!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

This is why babies are a bad idea. Adults, and to some degree even teenagers, can be "ageless" during what used to be considered the life cycle of a typical fan (5 years). But add a baby, and it suddenly becomes very obvious that time is not passing as it "should."

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2015 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

If there's really going to be a full reboot of the Marvel Universe, my one piece of advice: no Franklin Richards. Ever. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 5  

All the babies in the MU are skrulls.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 6  

More than one sitcom skipped characters ahead from infancy to kindergarten between seasons.  Kyle Baker drew a pretty good gag in his Plastic Man comic book showing Batman posing with eight-year-old Robin, then a not-aging Batman posing with teenage Robin, then a not-aging Batman posing with a same-age-as-him Nightwing... 

Time's just wonky in comics.  Spider-Man aged four years in his first four years as a comic book character, then it took him about ten years (real time) to get through college, and he was somehow pushing 30 by the time the Marvel Civil War happened, but now he's back to his mid-twenties again. Just roll with it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wasn't Peter Rasputin outed as gay also?  Was that the "Ultimate" universe?  Was he gay in just certain Universes?  What does that mean?

I think I've blocked it out as a defense mechanism to the insanity at Marvel.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 8  

Hmm..I think I'm more annoyed by whom she's marrying than anything else. As I'm not really fond of the direction the character of Star Lord has went in since the GOTG movie was made. I always thought Kitty would have had higher standards..

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2015 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 9  

Don't worry, Mephisto is standing by.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 April 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 10  

If I recall correctly, the original concept for Kitty was a NORMAL 13 year old who discovers she has a mutant power.

••

You remember correctly. It was very important to me, in my conception of Kitty, that she be utterly NORMAL. Nothing at all exceptional about her, until the super powers showed up.

At the risk of revealing something that the idiot squad will race to misunderstand, my inspiration for Kitty was, in no small part, a gal pal from my Art College days. This was a young woman with a Playmate of the Month body, and, once, she had told me the "equipment" arrived rather suddenly, when she was in her middle teens, and it completely changed how people, male and female, perceived her. (She'd even had to dump a long standing nickname. As a redhead, she was known for most of her life as "Rusty." That quickly became "Busty.")

The idea that one's life could be turned upside down by physical transformations over which one had no control was something I found quite fascinating. I cruised fairly smoothly thru adolescence, without growth spurts or an out-of-control voice. I wanted to explore this concept, and Kitty was my way of doing it, with "phasing" substituting for visible physical changes.

Of course, as you note, Chris demolished this right away, using a scene plotted for one purpose for an entirely different purpose. Kitty became a "genius," no no longer ordinary.*

Kitty was supposed to stay forever in her middle teens, too. God, I was SO young!!!!!

* As a general rule of thumb, when you read those old X-MEN issues, pay attention to how the story is being told. If it's amn even mix of words and pictures, you're seeing what Chris and I plotted, and what I intended. If it's all in the words, Chris has veered off course. The most egregious example, of course, being what was supposed to be Scott musing on his changing relationship with Jean turning into a feminist diatribe from Ororo -- and in three or four panels forever branding Scott a "jerk."

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2015 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 11  

Richard Ryder (who was a teen-ager when he first appeared in 1976 (and still a teen in "New Warriors" #1 in 1990)

Even more confounding is the fact that 14 years after "The Man Called Nova" debuted, he reappeared in the New Warriors with "Kid" before his name.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2015 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

Richard Rider is in the same group of characters alongside the 80's Supergirl and the Nu52 Batgirl who were aged to a certain point and then yanked backwards by creators who wanted to reclaim some of that youth that had once been so much a part of the characters' identities.  

In the case of Nova, JB's Nova was being featured prominently in the Silver Surfer title at the time New Warriors debuted and so the idea was that the new "Kid Nova" name would serve to both differentiate the character from Galactus' shiny herald and underscore the idea that this really was a high school aged hero again, perfect to try to lure in some of those New Teen Titans readers.

Do comic book marriages work these days? Archie's done well by his parallel world bigamy but have any of the other recent pairings actually amounted to anything but turmoil and eventual divorce for the characters? Green Arrow and Black Canary's marriage is a non-issue nowadays, isn't it? As is the one between Storm and T'Challa, right? Scott and Maddie. Scott and Jean. Dick and Kory. (Did they actually conclude that ceremony, or were they interrupted?) Roy Harper and Cheshire. Of course, there's what happened with Peter & MJ and Clark & Lois. 

Is Marvel simply sending Kitty and Star-Lord into a predictably fore-doomed tailspin storyline for the next three years with this? Should we just sit the whole thing out and await the inevitable demise of this train-wreck in the making?

Kids also seem to face bleak futures in modern comics (Wanda's kids, Roy Harper's daughter, Donna Troy's kids) almost as if the entire idea is to say "gotcha! Just kidding!" while at the same time writing something dismal and depressing...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version