Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: What is a Comic Book? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 1  

To me, a comic book is the form, not the format. A story told with visuals, using panels in sequential order is more or less a comic to me. I know some stories didn't even use dialogue,  but still we're what I would call a comic book.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think there there are two definitions that must be considered. First, we can consider a much more literal set of requirements. It is an artisticly (visually speaking) driven periodical to convey a fictional story. 

The second definition is subjectively based and comes from the reader. This is where words such as "fun" often come into play. For some, a comic might have to be about superheroes, for others, it could be anything and everything. The question is only worth considering by those putting out the book as it helps to have a determination of an audience. Sure, "all audiences" gets put out there as a hope, but never will there be any form of fiction that will be loved by all. So, artistically speaking, a creater has to determine what audience he wants to reach in order to determine what sort of product will be put out. 

I will circle back around to New Visions to explain this further. I am not the audience for New Visions even though I may find the stories enjoyable. Why? Because my subjective definition is based around an electronic format. Digital comics ultimately make me happier than printed comics. I'm not complaining. I'm not demanding NV be made available as a Kindle book (though I am quite surprised to see that Resistance is available on Amazon knowing how John feels, though I think it is a mistake as the desciption sounds VERY different from what I would expect in the book.) I think it is important that an artist create something that makes them happy. I go to a nice restaurant because i want to experience the work of the chef, not because I want to have it my way. Though, commercially speaking, we live in a world where an individual's singular definition of happiness will not be as successful as considering a larger audience. More options creates greater success. So I think its great when we have JB's New Visions right next to NuTrek comics. I think the only thing that could be better would be more variations of Star Trek comics on the shelves as there is no singular best way to have something done.   

For a much more elequent description towards my point, I turn you to Malcolm Gladwell as he explains happiness through diversity in spaghetti sauce, mustard, diet soda, and coffee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIiAAhUeR6Y

Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

For me a "comic book" is a drawn story. I should be able to get the basic story without ever reading a word.
Basically what Matt said above.
As for the description "graphic novel", I could except that if the format was a book with a paragraph or two of story per page with one picture on that page describing said paragraph(s). 
All the so called graphic novels I have seen are comic books.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne wrote:
Graphical? Is that a word?

Absotively. Graphical: "Relating to visual art or computer graphics".

Graphical fiction isn't particularly catchy mind you, and I doubt it'll ever replace "comics" or "comic book", but I do think it's a more appropriate all-encompassing descriptive term.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

To me, a comic book is an album containing sequential art used to
graphically tell a story or stories. They of course can contain a partial
story, collecting multiple albums tell to one whole.

It doesn't matter if that album is made of stone, paper or a digital file.

It also doesn't matter if the art used is photo, hand drawn, or digital.

It really doesn't matter how many pages. Although I think there should
be at least two. To consider it any kind of album.

My definition is sort of an updated variation of what I've read by Scott
McCloud and Will Eisner.

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 6  

Comic books are unique in that is has a very special type of energy.

You cant really capture it by using photos,or collages, though it has been done that way.

Even illustrations can be problematic, since they're usually too static to indicate movement, and lack visceral iconic line work, which is why current comics are so BORING.

Comic books work best when the art is dynamic and uses creative hyper-stylized iconography with a grounded realistic technical base for clear storytelling.

That means CARTOONING works best.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 7  

Being french i don't have this problem.
Bandes dessinees when it's drawn stories.
We call it a roman-photo if it's the same thing with photos instead of being drawn. (Photo-novel)

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 2:37am | IP Logged | 8  

singular: bande dessinee
plural: bandes dessinees

singular: roman-photo
plural: romans-photos

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 9  

I think the "comic" in "comic book" gives the name a lighthearted connotation. A "graphic novel" sounds so serious, even a bit unhinged. Which I suppose is appropriate for most of the stuff out there today.

But ultimately any term with the word "novel" will never be legit until the owners of that word, the literati, accept it. Fat chance of that happening. 

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 10  

"Sequential Art Book"? Pretentious, but does invoke Will Eisner.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

How about calling them "illustrated books" or "illustrated books"? Frankly, I'm fine with them just being called " comic books".

Edited by Rick Whiting on 19 May 2015 at 12:59pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, they are comic books. Why do people get so hung up on the name? I am not ashamed, nor have I ever been ashamed to say I read comics or comic books. I don't need some pretentious title to boost my self-esteem because some people out there think negatively about comic books. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version