Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Fantastic Four and Wolverine (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 1  

Didn't want to derail the toys thread but I'm a bit confused about the rumor that Marvel is purposely ending/tanking/whatever they're doing to the FF and Wolverine comics.

I don't understand how doing that is supposed to get them their movie licenses back.  If there are no comic books about these characters won't that just solidify the movie versions as the "real" characters?  Why would Fox or whichever company give back a property just because there's no comic book being produced?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 2  

Perhaps the licenses are contingent in some way to comics being published. Wasn't there a story some years ago about a Wonder Woman comic having to be published in order for DC to retain ownership?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 3  

There is no way a studio would allow rights to a story or character to be dependent upon something out of their control, like comics being published. I think this is a case of telephone where some bit of information has spiraled into some level of misinformation. Just because Marvel/Disney seems to only be pushing properties they control isn't enough for me to believe they are intentionally subverting other characters they control only outside of movies.

** edited for some clarity

Edited by Eric Ladd on 28 May 2015 at 11:21am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

Just because Marvel/Disney seems to only be pushing properties they control isn't enough for me to believe they are intentionally subverting other characters they control only outside of movies.

-----

I think asking a licensee to halt production of X-Men products that were already in the pipeline is a pretty clear statement. That goes beyond, "Let's just focus on Avengers-related characters from now on."

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't understand how doing that is supposed to get them their movie licenses back.  If there are no comic books about these characters won't that just solidify the movie versions as the "real" characters?  Why would Fox or whichever company give back a property just because there's no comic book being produced?

-----

I think it's more about the concerted effort to minimize the promotion and merchandise of the X-Men and FF characters. I doubt Fox cares about the comic books. That's just grandstanding on Marvel's part.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

Just because Marvel/Disney seems to only be pushing properties they control isn't enough for me to believe they are intentionally subverting other characters they control only outside of movies.
-----------------------------
You haven't seen the Secret Wars shirt? See picture below. Not only is Marvel not licensing X-Men and FF characters for any outside media, they're editing them out of their historical licensed products.

The reason is that with the current contracts, Fox gets a piece of all FF and X-Men merch that they can reasonably argue is 'movie-related', which they claim is just about everything. By not putting out X-Men/Wolverine action figures to coincide with the films, or FF items to coincide with that film, Marvel denies Fox their cut, and makes the films less profitable, which they hope will lead to Fox giving up the rights. Additionally, why wouldn't they focus their licensing on characters where they don't have to share the money?

Picture below is the Marvel Super-Heroes shirt currently on sale at Wal-Mart (I bought one..$8) and the original Secret Wars cover. Notice anything?

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

I wonder why are the Wasp and Captain Marvel/Monica Rambeau also edited out of the shirt. They didn't even do a good job with the Wasp, since her shadow is still visible on Captain America's shield.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Here's another edited shirt. A bit harder to see, but look a the far left...Reed and the Thing have been edited out of the background. That's how far Marvel is going with this.

Editted to add: They went to all the trouble to change the heads in the top left corner box, too.

Edited by Steve De Young on 28 May 2015 at 1:04pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

Wow, so not only have they gotten rid of FF and X-Men on that first Secret Wars shirt, but they've also included current and -  some future - Marvel Studios film and TV properties.

The Inhumans, Power Man and Iron Fist, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man. Surprised they didn't replace the Wasp with Ant-Man.

Does this mean there's a She-Hulk project in the works?

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 28 May 2015 at 1:18pm

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wondered why my Marvel calendar from Asgard press this year featured not a SINGLE cover from the FF.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

I see them promoting the visibility of characters they have in their own movie and TV pipeline. I don't see it as trying to tank the X-men or FF. They are just using these opportunities to promote where it might have the biggest impact. If you think they are trying to subvert the FF and X-Men then go ahead. I think they are being very smart with their advertising opportunities.

Halting production on the stuff at XM Studios was a sound business decision. They did allow the Jean Grey statue to continue the last bits of its development and production. I don't see it as subversion. I see it as choosing not to contribute to your competition.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

This move by Marvel is so stupid on so many levels. They are only hurting themselves... and the fans.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version