Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: OT- Elektra Chronology Q (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2015 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 1  

I just can't make E:A work within the rest of DD continuity. The Elektra
of that book had full-on superpowers and would have mopped the floor
with Bullseye.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 June 2015 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

I just can't make E:A work within the rest of DD continuity. The Elektra of that book had full-on superpowers and would have mopped the floor with Bullseye.

•••

There is a pattern to Miller's work, which I have noted before. Each time he visits a character, he makes that character BIGGER. Tougher, stronger. Even if it's issue to issue of a miniseries. Look at Batman at the beginning of DKR as vs how he looks at the end. Look at Marv in SIN CITY. He's lean at the beginning, but by the end he's the Hulk.

This seems to be the case even when he's going back in time with his characters. The effect is based on when the book is published, not the internal chronology.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2015 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Hey, thanks Luke!

Going by that, I'm going out of order already as I'm about 1/3 into Love and War.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2015 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

Anyone recall where the Elektra story from Bizarre Adventures fits into the Miller timeline?  Elektra Saga folded it in somewhere in the 170s, I think, but I don't remember if there was anything that tied it into any particular event or time period.

There's also What If? #35, which kind of works as a daydream sequence, maybe set a year or so after Elektra's death.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2015 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Look at Marv in SIN CITY. He's lean at the beginning, but by the end he's the Hulk.

Yeah. He doesn't even resemble the same character other than his face. He's an absolute stick in the first couple of issues.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2015 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

The art of Sin City itself changed pretty drastically, becoming more
abstracted as it went.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2015 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 7  

Andrew W. Farago wrote:
"Anyone recall where the Elektra story from Bizarre Adventures fits into the Miller timeline?  Elektra Saga folded it in somewhere in the 170s, I think, but I don't remember if there was anything that tied it into any particular event or time period."

The Marvel Chronology Project places the Elektra story from Bizarre Adventures #28 before Elektra: Assassin.  According to the Grand Comics Database, the reprint in Elektra Saga #1 placed it in the middle of Daredevil #168, after that issue's flashback sequence (and also after the intro to DD#190 and a few new pages).

Edited by Colin Ian Campbell on 02 June 2015 at 11:52am

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2015 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 8  

The Netflix show got me nostalgic for some Daredevil stories I hadn't read in ages, so I'm reading D.G. Chichester and Scott McDaniel's Fall from Grace right now, spanning Daredevil #319-325.  There are some decent enough ideas in there, but McDaniel's art is this weird hybrid between Miller's Sin City and Todd McFarlane's Spawn, and the storytelling's a real mess as a result.  Add in the attempt at Lynn Varley-style coloring and there are some nightmarish pages in there. 

I bring this up because John Garrett, Agent of SHIELD, returns in that storyline.  He's a human head on a cyborg body, running through some program loop that's convinced him that he's the President, which is the in-continuity explanation for how some of the events of Elektra: Assassin fit in with the regular Marvel Universe.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version