Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: OT - X-Men: When Did It Lose You? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Assuming we are all fans of the Claremont/Byrne run on X-Men, when did you lose interest in the book?

I came in at the tail-end of Smith's run going into JRjr's. So all the "classic" run stuff, I had to get as back issues. I absolutely loved the book up until after the "Mutant Massacre" storyline. Kitty and Nightcrawler both left the book, Colossus was hurt and was gone for a while and Longshot, Havok and Dazzler were brought in. It seemed like the were trying to find a regular penciller as it seemed there was a different artist with every new issue. Once Silvestri came aboard, there was stability with the art, but by that time I was bored with it. I dropped it.*

I came back to the book when Jim Lee started on pencils and really enjoyed what he and Claremont did, ultimately getting fed up with how convoluted it had gotten about 5 or so years ago.

What about you guys?

*It should be noted that I was bored with just about everything in comics around that time with the exception of JB's books but I no longer searched everything out like I did before m
Back to Top profile | search

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

When Cockrum came back on the book.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

About when Paul Smith departed, but my interest was already running on fumes by then.

Veli Loponen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nowadays I keep line in departure of Claremont. I remember that I read
the book some time after that but not so long. Now I'm reading
Claremont's run again and I think it will lose its quality way before
Claremont leaves. I think departure of Silvestri was beginning of the end.
Lee was good but it was mostly eye candy.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Roundabout the time Cockrum was back on the book
, and X-Men spent what felt like a lifetime in tedious space adventures.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've always liked Paul Smith's work and he kept me buying the book, but once he was done I was done. I was getting very disappointed with the Madelyne Pryor story line
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was too young to start collecting with JB. I think I came in about 193. I lasted til the Phalanx Covenent storyline. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

I came in during the Mutant Massacre and caught up on the Claremont/Cockrum and Claremont/Byrne runs through the Classic X-Men/X-Men Classics title. My interest has waxed and waned over the years, but I think I gave up trying to keep track of what was going on after Messiah Complex and wrote the X-Men off after Avengers vs X-Men, which ended with a Phoenix-possessed Cyclops killing Professor X. 

I do still look at the All New, All Different X-Men book with the time displaced original team, since it has Jean Gray and a Cyclops who hasn't been turned into an asshole yet. 

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

I stuck around til about 1991-92 but by then I was an obsessive collector and I just had to have all of them, I really didn't read or enjoy them but they were something to do. I sold my collection right after that and then I picked it back up at Age of Apocalypse which was a story I really liked at the time. I stuck around for another 5 years or so and then quit for good in the early 2000s. I occasionally picked up a few issues after that to see what was going on and I was always disappointed. The last one I tried was the one where the Old X-men from the past travel to the future to meet their current selves and I really hated how that worked out. I haven't paid attention since except to read reviews online and see if it's worth the money and time, it hasn't been IMO. 

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think around the time of Mutant
Massacre. I may have continued buying for
a short time past that, but if so, it
wasn't much longer.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

I am sure I was growing bored with it before this but the last issue I bought was Uncanny X-Men 204, it focused on Nightcrawler (always once of my favorite X-Men). I went back a few times after that to see what was happening but never stuck around for long.

Edited by Michael Murphy on 21 June 2015 at 2:02pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

Brian, sounds like you came in about the same time I did. My first issue was #167, so second or third Smith? After that, I got an issue here and there, and starting collecting regularly with #178. From that point on, while I'd miss an issue here and there because I didn't see it, had to leave it in the store due to lack of funding, etc., more often than not I got the book(s).

Got bored with it all about mid-Lobdell, but gradually trickled my way back in for a few more years. Then they drove Claremont off the main books (again) and cancelled Hidden Years. I still stuck around for a bit longer, but as spin-offs ended, I didn't pick up the replacements. Then I dropped X-Men after Morrison left and I dropped Uncanny after seeing the preview for #416 so many times I was sick of the issue before it existed.

From there, I've been known to visit here and there (generally when Claremont does), I liked Peter David's X-Factor (which prompted me into getting the Messiah Complex crossover, which in turn prompted me into getting some Carey and Brubaker back issues leading into it), and I got the Whedon run of Astonishing.

But for the most, I stay out of it and have confined my x-purchases to back issues, where I've been slowly working my way back to the beginning. ("Only" #1-20 left to go! :-) ) If/when I get those, maybe I'll go back the other way and complete the original run because I'm weird like that. We'll see.

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version