Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: OT - X-Men: When Did It Lose You? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was out the same as Joe, however it wasn't long after that I was 98% out of comics in general with the exception of a couple books like Hellboy and Bone.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

After going to Comics.org and looking through the cover gallery, the last issue I bought off the newsstand was #200.  Thant makes sense because I had a hard time accepting Magneto as being reformed.

I had started buying them when X-Men #90 came out.  They were still in reprints, but I was just in time for the revival of the title.  I remember reading a lot of the earlier Lee/Kirby and Thomas/Adams issue as reprints.

The title really picked up after GS X-Men #1 and peaked under JB & Cockrum, but started declining immediately after JB left, despite some fine art by Cockrum, Smith and JRJR.  The stories just didn't measure up to the art by the time I left.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

When it became Wolverine and them other guys.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

To more specifically answer the question of this thread....I did continue to buy and read X-Titles until AGE OF APOCALYPSE.  That nearly drove me completely from mainstream comics at the time.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

It was a rocky ride after the John Romita, Jr era in spots, but the title didn't lose me until sometime after the Jim Lee era. I would check back in on the book from time to time afterwards -- Being a comic shop owner, I would often check out the books I was ordering to sell -- but things just got more and more convoluted as time went on.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

It lost me in reverse.

My first X-Men issue was 201, when Storm and Cyclops fought for leadership of a team that was now allied with Magneto. Being new to the title, I had no idea how silly and out of character this all was. Looking back now, i realize it was all done to get Cyclops out to set up X-Factor's debut. But then I enjoyed it and stuck with it for years, well past the Jim Lee era.

Then I eventually got to read the classic era of Claremont/ Cockrum/ Byrne/ Austin, etc and see how these characters were supposed to act and how great it had been in those years. Now, when I reread X-Men, I stop right around where I originally started.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think I knew it was over when Colossus killed Riptide circa #212.  Colossus wasn't my favorite X-Man by any means, and hell, he blowed Proteus up real good back in #128, but this time it just didn't work for me.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

The first time I dropped the X-Men was just after the Age of Apocalypse mega-linewide crossover.  The new status quo after that seemed to be that there was no status quo, and it felt like I needed to read Wizard Magazine alongside any given issue to know what was going on with the team and why.

I've been off and on over the past 20 years, jumping on based on creative teams or if I've heard good things about a particular run.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 9  

Wow, apparently I held on much longer than I thought.
Looking at a covers database, things stop seeming familiar
right around #300, but a good chunk leading up to that
would have been dat ol' debbil "habit", because I recall
virtually none of the stories those later covers are
pimping.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 10  

I came in on issue #113. I already knew a great deal about the team from God only knows where. Years before, when I was trying to talk my grandmother into buying me either the Superman & his Fortress tabloid or the Superman vs. the Flash tabloid ($1.00 a pc! Horrors!) she of course tried redirecting me to the regular priced comics, specifically pointing out an issue of the X-Men as being particularly interesting. I told her that I already knew about the X-Men. This was Cyclops. This was Marvel Girl. I pointed at Colossus and said,"This is Iceman. I have no idea why he looks so different. Probably because he's older now... They're always changing the way the characters look." And of course, I went back to trying to get the tabloid. I think she may actually have bought me the Superman vs. Flash. If not, I was able to get a copy soon after...

X-Men #113 was the issue that hooked me. Lots of characters on the cover. Clearly I did not know this new team as well as I'd told my grandmother I did. "Colossus?" "Banshee?" "Storm?" Back in those days, I used to cut the figures out of the cover if they were complete enough, keep the cut-outs in an envelope, and take them out to play with on my mattress, colorforms-style, pitting JSA members against LSH members and the like. I probably intended to clip out a few new heroes for my collection...

But that book was one of the best comics I had ever read. EVER. Just knocked me out. I bought the next few issues, the whole Savage Land saga.... Stopped again before Moses Magnum showed up, and then became completely hooked with #135. I bought every issue thereafter, come what may, Hell or high water. 

I became disenchanted during the Brood saga. Claremont's reliance upon "heart's desires" and warrior-speak was growing tedious. I really enjoyed the art through the Paul Smith era, but I was less enamored of the stories. The New Mutants was a regular buy each month as well and so I was burning through my tolerance for Claremont's recycled-Heinlein attitude-not-character approach to writing at twice the rate I would have been had I stuck with just the X-Men. I really hated the way the men were always asses and the women were always splendiferous pillars of spunk, sanctimony, fire, and sass, their power always a song within them...

X-Men #201 was the last straw. Just awful. Cyclops, the guy who held off both teams single-handedly back in #167 loses in single combat to a non-powered Storm. Because she steals his visor, being a master their and all. At that point, I really thought she should have lost the fight, since Cyclops without his visor is very, very dangerous. And it's not as if he hasn't been without his visor before. He's practiced for this eventuality, hasn't he? No? He should know ju-u-ust how far he can open his fingers to let just a little beam slip to take down someone stupid enough to take his visor from him.

I get that he wanted to lose. That being the case, he shouldn't have agreed to the fight. Nevertheless, it was intolerably awful to read. One of the single worst comics I've ever had the misfortune to endure. Writer's pet vs. bad, bad mans because mans are bad bad bad. Just plain awful.

I still bought the book for two more issues out of sheer momentum. I'd been buying it for years. How could I not? #204 taught me how. I opened the book. Looked at the first couple of pages, and realized I honestly didn't care what happened to the characters and actively hated the idea of reading it. So I put it back. That was liberating. 

I revisited for a couple of Silvestri "No one can see or remember us! We're MAGIC!" issues. I liked the art somewhat, but god, Claremont's writing didn't just nosedive, it somehow had distorted space and time in it's headlong plunge into complete garbage. The Bret Blevins cover to the "Welcome to the X-Men, Havok" cover told me everything I knew was already going to be that issue. Havok was going to be a needy, insecure, thumb-sucking loser and the rest of the team Warriors-Born who had no time for little babies who had not proven themselves on the Field of Honor. And that was exactly what the issue was all about. Havok. Hadn't proven himself? Really. The guy who fought alongside the X-Men when Warrior-Born Storm was just NewBorn Storm being taught how to pick locks and spin combination dials with her toes inside her wreckage-strewn cradle? That Havok?

So enough was enough. I was intrigued by Jim Lee's artwork to return a final time for a few issues, but reading those things was a god-awful slog. Just terrible. Unreadable. I'd seen and heard too much. I can't even read Heinlein anymore because That Voice is there in it. It literally nauseates me now... 

I "volunteered" to read and notate some of the trades collecting Morrison & Austen's runs when I worked for the local school district since the person in charge of deciding what was appropriate for cirriculum didn't want to go anywhere near them. Afterwards, I wished I had palmed them off onto someone else as well. 

Ever read the one where Polaris goes on for page after page after page after page about how terrorism is a good thing, all correct and proper in the hands of the right people, the disenfranchised, the put-upon, the just? And everyone should just be okay with terrorism because terrorists are simply trying to say something and if everyone would just listen to them, the world would be peaches and cream and everybody could eat cotton-candy all day long? And so people must die, and people in those issues did die, and it was good everyone died, and yay, people dying... And she doesn't shut up at all and no one contradicts her until the very end when someone, Wolverine, I think it is, says, "Wait a minute..." and then it's to be continued next issue? So anyone who bought just that one issue is left thinking the X-Men is a pro-terrorist book... And they're not wrong. Certainly that month it was. 

Since then, I've tried a couple of the Bendis "All-New" issues. Seriously, why do I do that? Why do I revisit this wretched book? 

The reason...? Somewhere inside, many, many rings down deep in my trunk, there's a thin, tiny layer that remembers the Savage Land saga...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 11  

I drifted away from Marvel and DC not too long after CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, so about 1987 or so (I was 21).  I remember being very excited about CRISIS, but the confusing aftermath soon drove me away.  At the same time, Marvel was getting dull and had lost my favorite creators.  So, I didn't last with UNCANNY too much past issue #200.

Things like JOHN BYRNE'S NEXT MEN brought me back to comics in 1992.  And, yes, I was very excited when Image Comics began.  I was aware enough of the big names involved and that a "new, integrated universe" was coming!  It gave me just a taste of what it must have been like in the 60's when Marvel started and Spider-Man might run across Dr. Strange or Giant-Man and the Wasp for a few panels and it was great!  The best talent working on their dream projects!  But six core books soon multiplied into dozens of cheap carbon copies (they copied themselves!) that flooded the stands with dross!

Before 1987, I would buy an entire company's output--their whole "universe"!  Since 1992, I have only followed specific talent--like JB.  If a favorite writer or artist left a book, I left the book.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 22 June 2015 at 1:58am

Samuel P. Barden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 12  

I was an on and off fan of the title after Angel left the 2nd time. Just having Angel leave in a tantrum bothered me so much.  I came back for Paul Smith's run. After they finally ended the Sleazoid/Brood (more know as the Sleazoids than the Brood in my circle), the Morlocks pop up. I don't remember how they explained it in the story, but how the hell were there Morlocks with Cerebro around?  And once Storm was the leader of the Morlocks, why didn't Xavier spend the rest of his life working with them?

So I was off an on again until Silvestri, but I was a big time comic collector on that return.  I was pleasantly surprised when Jim Lee came on board and got the X-Men close to where they should be.  I was very happy when JB was scripting the book.  Then I was dissatisfied when Lobdell and Nicieza were running the show (but collecting all X-Stuff), stopped collecting around the Onslaught stuff. It was the equivalent of going cold turkey.  I came back again when Alan Davis was plotting it.  I read that until the climax and then the Hidden Year was my last X-book.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version