Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: OT - X-Men: When Did It Lose You? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 1  

When Jean Grey died in the Byrne-Claremont run.

I hate, hate, hate death in comics. I read the newspaper to get news about deaths. I read comics for escapism ... at most, let the BAD GUYS get whacked.
Back to Top profile | search

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 2  

Grant Morrison and what he did with Cyclops.  I started reading the original issues during the hiatus, the reprint stage.  Then I read from GS1 through.  Well, a couple of breaks in between.  Maybe a year each.
And I got the issues that I missed.

Claremont was always pushing the envelope with change and I sure didn't like it all.  Dislike some of it as I did, it was never bad enough for me to quit because there was always a lot I liked. They were going to have to push really hard to get me to drop the x titles and they did.  I used to get them all.  

Then a few years later the rest of the line followed.  I had always gotten X Men, FF and Spider-Man.  Once I was soured on them, it was easy to drop all the titles.  Not that I ever got everything.  maybe 20 comics a month, though.    

I read for the characters.  The integrity of the characters was too important to me.  You can't be like that now.  They are going to do whatever they need to do to facilitate the next event.  The characters will behave however necessary to make that happen.  And they want to spend WAY MORE time focusing on these characters' flaws than I do.
With someone like Wolverine, fine.  With characters like Jean and Cyclops, no.

For whatever reason, I was glancing through DC solicits last week.
I'm reading about an edgier Superman and making tough decisions (aka moral compromise).  That just is not what I want Superman to be.
It's why I say that I didn't outgrow comics.  They outgrew me.  I want the same things I always wanted from superHERO comics.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 3  

When Ororo haircut mohican hairstyle was introduced.

Edited by Marcio Ferreira on 22 June 2015 at 9:03am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 4  

I jumped ship pretty much the same time as you, Brian. I was a big fan of the Claremont/Romita Jr/Green run but the Mutant Massacre just changed too much too fast. The succession of guest artists exacerbated the sense of the status quo going up in smoke. I'd quite enjoyed Silvestri's art on X-Men vs Avengers, but something didn't click for me when he was the artist on Uncanny (plus I didn't like a lot of the team members or the storylines -- there was stuff going on with them in the outback and I realised the title held no appeal for me).

Like you, I came back and enjoyed the stuff with Jim Lee, but then I was gone again, never to return! 

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 5  

I started to lose interest in the 220s around Silvestri's arrival but I had a long term subscription going so I kept trying to read. Mutant Massacre was bad, then came Inferno which really did me in. I happily switched to the wonderful Excalibur which gave me my X-Men fix.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 6  

The funny thing is that a friend once introduced me to another comic fan, something rare in my part of the world. That guy, slightly younger than me had started collecting around Jim Lee's run so we had absolutely nothing to talk about.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 7  

I stopped reading when Paul Smiths run ended. I remember thinking the Brood were too close to Aliens and lost a bit of interest in the stories. I would continue collecting issues, but it was for the artwork. I stopped buying right around 230 when the Brood resurfaced at the beginning of the Silvestri run. What is interesting to me is that I stopped reading comics long before I stop buying them.

Philip Obaza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 8  

I began reading X-Men in the mid-90s during the ONSLAUGHT storyarc (I
know - not one of the greater eras, I'm one of those younger whipper-
snappers). It wasn't until afterward, when I became more interested in
comics history, that I went back and read the earlier issues.

Unlike Spider-Man, who lost me at a very distinct point in time (ONE MORE
DAY), there was no specific X-Men story that forced me to quit; I just
gradually drifted away from the comics over time. The last one I bought was
likely in 2008/2009.

Nowadays, I'm happily enjoying the X-Books of yesteryear.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 9  

towards the end of Cockrums run.  I still followed it but stopped when they went to Australia.  I did buy the Jim Lee multy cover  thing, but after that 0.

Antonio Diniz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 10  

The Siege Perilous.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 11  

I started reading with #199. My favorite period was the year or so near the end of CC's run where there wasn't even a formal team, just a bunch of mutants all pver the world.

The way I remember, I dropped X-Men when Claremont left in 1991. However, my collection goes through Uncanny #291 and Adjectiveless #11. So much for fanboy solidarity.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2015 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

At the comic store where I used to shop, there was one employee, a snaggle-toothed, homeless-looking guy whose sole social outlets were gaming and arguing with customers. He came to comics late in life, starting with the X-Men around the early 90's during "X-Cutioner's Song."

Those were the most perfect, best-crafted comics ever created. Or so he said. The plotlines were never more interesting and intricately woven. The characters were never more mysterious and intriguing. There was simply SO! MUCH! happening! Stories sprawled over multiple titles and you could roam around inside them FOREVER! Go anywhere! The characters were being taken in so many directions! It was amazing! Flat-out the best the X-Men have ever been! 

They've never reached those heights again, of course, he maintains, but with each new multi-part, multi-title crossover event he hopes it will drag him in and transport him to worlds of wonderment and drama like "X-Cutioner's Song" did! 

We all want comics to fascinate and enthrall us as they did when we first found them. The Golden Age of Comics as they say is twelve. In this guy's case, he was twelve in his late twenties.

Edited by Brian Hague on 22 June 2015 at 12:21pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version