Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Losing the numbers? Oh I don't like that. 
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm a fan of high number counts. Growing up the higher the issue number. The more I felt it must be a good comic. I know that isn't necessarily so. I felt if it was good enough to have made it to that many issues it must be good. I hated ,hated HATED. When issues would end just to be started at number 1 again.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

Anthony: Mark I never said skeptics were bone heads. I'll thank you to look at what I wrote.~

"I feel however it would be a bone headed move to make a decision on something I haven't even seen yet. "

I see your distinction there. I can't agree that anyone who lets Marvel's past performance lead them to write-off their latest book is "bone-headed", but I believe you're saying a skeptic hasn't technically made "a decision".

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

Right Mark a skeptic hasn't made a decision yet.  Also I don't mean to imply other people would be bone headed. I do think they would be foolish to judge something before ever seeing it. 

Nothing will be lost by checking the book out. I'll give it a look see. If it looks like something that might be okay. I'll take a chance on one issue. If that issue doesn't convince me. I won't return for the second.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

FWIW, I told my boss about this series and suggested he order it.  He said he was aware of it and that it was being talked about at the SDCC.  He was at the retailers conference and the Marvel rep was saying how the book wasn't Marvel's idea.  That Disney came up with it and are forcing Marvel to put it out.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

FWIW, I told my boss about this series and suggested he order it.  He said he was aware of it and that it was being talked about at the SDCC.  He was at the retailers conference and the Marvel rep was saying how the book wasn't Marvel's idea.  That Disney came up with it and are forcing Marvel to put it out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The fact that it isn't Marvel's idea doesn't bother me. Marvel has been getting it wrong for so long. It could be a good thing that Disney suggested it.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think it's a good thing Disney wants it. I thinks it's
sad that this is what it took for Marvel to publish it. I
think it shows how much the books are fan fic as opposed to
professional publishing.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

My only concern for a UTOS-like title is that it is written with care and doesn't tread on established details.  AFAIAA UTOS and Amazing Fantasy #16-18 are considered part of established canon.  Does this new series supplant UTOS or enhance it?

An extra appearance of the Green Goblin between ASM#14 and  #17?  Sure, as long as there's a good justification for such a story, and doesn't contradict any dialogue in #17.  Is the Goblin all that interesting before his character gets painted into a corner in ASM #39?  I'd say no, but I'm sure someone can find an interesting nugget in the 'king of the gangsters' Goblin versus the 'crazy as a sack of squirrels' Goblin.

Many of the regular villians would be off limits as some are explicitly stated to be in jail during this period -- the Scorpion is incarcerated after his first appearance and doesn't break out of prison until after Peter graduates.  There might be some mileage in pre-Annual #1 Sinister Six members.  Appearances of characters like Roderick Kingsley or Miles Warren before they actually became villians is doable as long as it's not every other issue.

Creating new 'classic' villians is a bit of a crapshoot.  They should be able to stand on their own as memorable characters and not have to be 'legitimized' by appearing in the contemporary books. Busiek did this with Scorcher, Supercharger, and the Headsman -- again, it firmly puts UTOS into the established canon making a bigger minefield to step around if someone wants to write 'in between' Lee and Ditko issues.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 14 July 2015 at 7:49pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

think it's a good thing Disney wants it. I thinks it's 
sad that this is what it took for Marvel to publish it
```````````````
I agree 100 percent.  I tell you when the news first broke that Disney had purchased Marvel. I was really hoping Disney would set the House of Ideas in order. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

FWIW, I told my boss about this series and suggested he order it. He said he was aware of it and that it was being talked about at the SDCC. He was at the retailers conference and the Marvel rep was saying how the book wasn't Marvel's idea. That Disney came up with it and are forcing Marvel to put it out.

If this is true, I can't help wondering if Disney is now taking a long hard look at Marvel's publishing division and noticing that most of the comics they are currently putting out are not suitable for the boy demographic that they want to attract. Disney might also have noticed that Marvel isn't really growing the audience for their comics and are only selling to an aging shrinking readership of long time readers.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

How many saw the programming on ESPN opposite the ALL-STAR game last night? 

The greatest TV exposure Marvel superheroes have ever seen, on a Disney run network, tied in with the ANT MAN commercials non stop. 

Storyboards. Comics are just storyboards to them Disney cats. 

PS: I LOVED what I saw last night, so see if they re-run it !

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 12  

Since the US comic industry loves issue 1s, they should adopt the magazine numbering system used here in Finland: the first issue of a year is 1/2015, the next one 2/2015 etc. and then when the next year starts, you get 1/2016. They are essentially doing that now anyway, might as well make it official.

If it's true that Disney pushed for Marvel to start creating new all ages content, that's exactly what I was hoping would happen back when they purchased the company. I just hope Spidey will really be all ages and not kids comics like the similarly advertised Marvel Adventures line (which I still enjoyed for the most part).

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version