Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've been reading comics for over 40 years. I love 'em and respect 'em from every era.

••

Fit that into your work some time. Might make for fun reading.

Back to Top profile | search

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

"That is not how serial fiction works."

Respectfully, character state change and action could define everything from every issue of SAGA to LOVE & ROCKETS to every single comic made with sequential panels in 'em. :-)

It's a wide open enough view to be applied to both any scene with conflict-- and any scene with a character, alone in a room, making a personal choice.

If I've overstayed my welcome here and you're just trying to shut me down, that's okay. It's your board. It's your rules.

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Fit that into your work some time. Might make for fun reading."

Have you read the SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH mini-series?
It's actually very faithful to every era of Spidey and FF that came before it.

My SHE-HULK run was very reverent of yours and, over the course of 33 issues, touched on ALL Marvel history, from Timely to present day, through Stan, Starlin, Stern, and Straczynski (and that's just people whose names start with "St".) :-P

I know you've been down on Marvel (or M*****) for many years now and probably haven't given my stuff a go... so that seems like a weird shot to fire across my bow. If it makes any difference a lot of your predecessors and contemporaries-- from Gerry Conway, Len Wein, J.M. DeMatteis, and even your pal, Roger Stern, have given my Spidey run a shot-- and have passed along that they've enjoyed it.

And I think you can tell from some of the comics that I've cited in this thread alone-- that I can easily wave my credentials as one of your Faithful 50 from years gone back-- and that the assignments I've pitched and accepted over the years (a Spidey Team-Up book, She-Hulk, Great Lakes Avengers, The Thing, The Mighty Avengers...) all come from a foundation built on longboxes filled with your works. I honestly think that if you did pick up some of my books, you'd see that they were fun reads (especially the current Silver Surfer book that's on the stands.)

Anyhoo... I should probably hit the bricks.

Anyone on the thread who thinks this is an odd bounce for Peter Parker-- going off of the promotional blurb and the one cover-- I hope you give the work a chance and read what the team's actually put there on all 20+ pages.

Later.

Edited by Dan Slott on 30 June 2015 at 6:59pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

But it's not you behind this change, is it Mr. Slott? It's Marvel, who decided to end the Ultimate line of books but didn't want to lose Miles Morales. So they decide work him into the main line. Which means Peter Parker has be shown doing other stuff, because Ultimate Spider-Man about is someone else filing in Peter's vacated role. 

This is not the illusion of change. It's the illusion of creativity! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm tempted to check this out. I've read very few mainstream super-hero books in recent years, but I think there are some good ones out there.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

I will say that Dan's Spider-Man is the only book at Marvel or DC that I still follow. Whatever people think about the direction the characters have taken, the tone of the book is still fun, which isn't true of most of the output from the Big Two these days. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

"I quite like the idea of Peter using his smarts to make some actual gains for once..."

-------------------------------------
I think Peter Parker having a big win -- in terms of making a load of dough from his inventions as an adult -- would be a good way to write the final ever Peter Parker story. 

Until then, he should be more a two steps forward, one step back kind of guy.

Drama *can* be derived from adding the spice of time passing for a character, so that we can experience the full arc from a character's salad days through to his final days, but for most characters (and always for serial characters) the most meat is told in the middle with the quintessential version of the character. The character of King Arthur can go from a green youth pulling the sword from the stone, to a rheumy-eyed old man facing Mordred for the final time at Camlann, but the quintessential King Arthur is neither youth, nor defeat-bound old-timer, but a ruler of a unified Kingdom sitting at his round table.

Frank Miller has told celebrated tales of Batman's first year and his final adventure, but no-one would seriously suggest the passage of time should shift Batman on from his quintessential prime.

The best recipe for Spider-Man is a teenage super-hero, struggling to balance the burden of hero-hood with regular adolescent problems. I'm down with a What If...? style diversion to look at how an older Spider-Man might be, provided it is a short-lived diversion and we are able to return to the paradigm. Any permanent shift to a fully adult Spider-Man and the character is effectively broken, in my view. Yes, there might be some shiny gold to be mined in this vein, but the value of that plunder isn't worth breaking the character for future generations. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Writing in the middle" used to be a maxim at Marvel. When did it change?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

Any permanent shift to a fully adult Spider-Man and the character is effectively broken, in my view.

-----

You mean like getting married to a supermodel?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 10  

I took a look at an article with a purported leak of the covers of all the relaunched Marvel comics, of which the new "Startup Spidey" is a part of. Without going into what exactly was revealed, I have to say it seemed like one big attempt at being different for the sake of being different. There's no intriguing, or even merely clever, creative choices here. It's, hey let's do it ... just 'cuz. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

I just looked at the same set of covers and I still want to know why Dr. Strange needs an ax!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

You mean like getting married to a supermodel?
--------------------------------------------
Yes, absolutely. I know it was Stan wot did it, but it was a mistake.

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version