Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think I’m one of the ones to blame here. I spent the late eighties and nineties wanting the characters to change and “get real.” It wasn’t until they had, and had so much as to be unrecognizable to me, that I realized how much I no longer derived any joy in reading their stories.

For me, changes in the window dressing wasn't the problem. Superman could be Superman regardless of what Krypton looked like or if the Kents were dead or alive. Peter Parker’s girl problems didn’t change whether it was Gwen, MJ, or Betty Brant. Bruce Banner could have a tragic relationship with Betty whether she was his wife or girlfriend.

None of these things changed the mythos or the character.

But having Hank Pym slap his wife certainly did. As did having Peter Parker marry a supermodel and put out a successful book of his own. Or having Bruce Banner suffer from a split personality due to childhood abuse (a storyline I very much enjoyed at the time as I had outgrown the Hulk as I had originally met him). The most outrageous of all, the storyline that finally made me walk away from a hobby I rarely enjoyed anymore, was Civil War. Cap versus Iron Man…are you kidding me?

As for JB, the only character that I can think of that I would say he “changed” is Susan Storm Richards. I’m not referring to the superficial name change, but to the power boost and distinctive personality JB gave her. She went from a helpless victim and emotionally unstable female to being a powerful teammate, mother, sister and wife. Not a radical, abrupt overhaul, but a gradual (and, honestly, necessary) evolution.

All this to say, I agree with Eric White’s point above. Marvel and DC lost me when it became about doing things to the characters and not writing stories about the characters. But I have only myself to blame, I spent years shelling out money for any story that “made it real” and only encouraged them to warp the characters I once loved. Mea Culpa.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 2  

@Jason Larouse, thanks for sharing, I haven't seen that strip before. Yup, if all of what's wrong with Marvel's books can be summed up in two comic pages, then the satirist accomplished it. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 3:32am | IP Logged | 3  

This is talking about the Marvel Now relaunch from a few years ago but it's still funny and relevant to the more recent Marvel relaunch:

(images are big so im linking)

http://i.imgur.com/L65rraf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BjypprE.jpg

••

There is a certain fish-in-a-barrel aspect to parodies of Marvel, these days. They're doing such a fine job of parodying themselves!

(Also, Worst Balloon Placement EVER!)

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 4  

It occurs to me that the Big Two can genuinely not see that they are beating a dead horse.  If true, that's amazing.

JB>>(Also, Worst Balloon Placement EVER!)<<

Aw, it only does a little covering of a character's face.  And multiple pointers for the same speaker.  And balloons overlapping a preceding panel.  And...*sigh*  Yeah, pretty bad.

Otherwise, I thought that was (sadly) pretty funny. 

Edited by Conrad Teves on 01 July 2015 at 4:48am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 5  

It occurs to me that the Big Two can genuinely not see that they are beating a dead horse.

••

If memory serves, it was Howard Chaykin who invoked (coined?) the phrase "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic." That pretty much sums it up, I think.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 6  

I like to think it comes from state change. A character begins a scene in one frame of mind-- makes a change-- and leaves in a new altered state, for good or ill. And this happens on a larger scale from scene-to-scene, from act-to-act, from story-to-story and so on.

When it comes to comicbooks, the primary respect in storytelling has to be for new readers, for -- ideally, and today unfortunately only mythically -- the kid who randomly picks up a comicbook and just then and there at that moment first gets into the characters. Story arcs that affect changes in the fundamental nature of the characters defeat the very purpose of comicbooks. The tale any current team of comicbook creators is telling should not be held more important than passing on the comicbook characters to the next generation of readers -- indeed, the more that it is, the less you can pass them on. 

But, again, I'm only spouting sad myths about a massive, predominantly kid audience that renews itself every five years or so anyway. I have read with my 7 year old boy decades worth of comicbooks, from different companies, made in different times, with different sensibilities, and featuring lots of cosmetic changes over the eras -- and my son still recognized these characters in all their essentials as themselves. A few decades ago, this started to become very hard and eventually was impossible, and he finds the work of those years unfathomable. I went through the same process with my 21 year old too. When he was 10, we bought a carton of 70s FF mags at a used book store, and he devoured them. He then asked to buy some new comicbooks, and his head spun so hard from the changes, he dropped the hobby, almost instantly. 

One day the current audience of mostly men in their 40s, give or take a decade, will be in their 80s... what then? Poof! No more comicbook industry.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 7  

Consider the whole history of comics, dating back to the Thirties, when new material was first being commissioned for publication in what had been, up until then, reprint books. After a brief "settling in" period, roughly 3 or four years -- often considerably less -- the characters were pretty much locked in, so that the Batman (for example) I "met" circa 1956 was virtually indistinguishable from the Batman of 1946, and would remain so until 1966 or so.

During this period -- roughly a quarter century -- altho comics experienced steadily diminishing sales, that decline had little or nothing to do with the characters. A series of bad business decisions had been made (among them, reducing the page count in order to keep the 10¢ cover price), and comics as a medium suffered for them. But the characters remained the same. The talent was largely anonymous -- we recognized artists by their styles, not their names -- and all focus was on the characters. Characters who were kept "on model," so that the constantly changing audience would find the same product, "generation" to "generation". The notion that these characters would (or should) "change and grow" was not even considered. Superman was always Superman. Batman was always Batman. Et cetera.

This was accomplished, to a large extent, by mostly ignoring the readers. Sure, they wrote in, and if their (heavily edited) letters had some comment that was of use to the editor, they would get printed. But there was no thought that these readers were participating.* Not until the Sixties when, after a long interregnum, new talent started to filter in -- talent drawn mostly from the pool of fans that had been created by the quarter century and more comics had been in their present form.

At first, the influx of fans-turned-pro presented no real problems, since the Old Guard was still steering the ship, and the idea of artists and writers bringing their own "vision" to characters was largely unheard of. But it couldn't last. The Old Guard were dwindling as the New Kids became more and more prominent. For a while, this had no major effect beyond everybody trying to draw like Neal Adams. These New Kids had been trained by the Old Guard, and they understood how it worked. They understood that those ideas that had been bouncing around fandom were very, very short-term thinking, and such fan-think should be checked at the door.

But steadily, more and more, the fan-think started to take over. By the time I joined the industry, circa 1975, there were writers, artists and editors who seemed to exist solely to "fix" things. Some who seemed unable to even start thinking about a story unless it was soaked in "continuity."

The talent split into two uneven camps. There were those who thought "continuity" was the all-important driving force, and those who, as Paul Levitz expressed it, thought that "continuity" meant that Superman was from Krypton, and would always be from Krypton. Sixties Marvel leaned much in the direction of the former, more and more as the f-t-ps flowed in. Julie Schwartz, the longest survivor of the Old Guard, called these writers and artists "archeologists." Eventually the balanced tipped, and they were pretty much all there was.

And, yes, it was great fun to play with the old toys. To dig down into a character's "history" to find nuggets that had not previously been examined. Went there quite often myself. But after what seemed like not a very long time, this "archeology" began to make the books more and more impenetrable. The latest issue could not be read without having read ten or twelve issues before it. Things became dense and clubbish, and moves were made to clean house and get things on track.

Unfortunately, it was the people who'd created the problem who were largely put in charge of cleaning up -- rather like Congress voting itself a pay raise. The "house cleanings" were done from the viewpoint of those who had been immersed in these characters and stories for decades, much longer than a typical fan/reader -- altho increasingly, such longtime devotion was becoming common among the fans.

Now, again and again, we see the companies "rebooting," but each time the "new" material is heavily dependent upon a deep knowledge of what went before. After all, there's no big deal in Peter Parker becoming "Tony Stark" if the readers don't know how things used to be.

* The exception was Mort Weisinger, who asked neighborhood kids what they would like to see Superman doing.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 8  

One day the current audience of mostly men in their 40s, give or take a decade, will be in their 80s... what then? Poof! No more comicbook industry.

••

Another forty years? Optimistic!

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 9  

Mr Byrne: Stan and Jack could sum up continuity in a couple of lines. By the time Chris and I were on X-Men, it required a couple of panels. Eventually it required a fold-out on the inside front cover. Now. . . . ?

As a casual reader in the 80s I can safely say I never ever had problems knowing exactly what was going on in a particular book or even have to go back and read a few issues to catch up. I could go months without reading Spider-Man and still get straight into the story. Continuity was done via a footnote e.g. happened in Spider-Man#. If I wanted to I could go back and buy the issue but it wasn't a prerequisite. 

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 10  

Why do characters have to change? The Simpsons has been going for 20 odd years and Homer is still dumb, Bart is still a naughty 10 year old(?), Lisa is an intelligent 8 year old, etc, etc. but yet each writer that has come along hasn't tried to 'fix' any characters and still managed to still send them on different adventures. For some reason comic book writers feel the need to change things. I've thought about it myself: what if Spider-Man wore the black suit and became a dark character. Then I realised I wouldn't be writing Spider-Man, I'd be writing Peter Parker The Spectacular Batman. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 11  

I've thought about it myself: what if Spider-Man wore the black suit and became a dark character. Then I realised I wouldn't be writing Spider-Man, I'd be writing Peter Parker The Spectacular Batman.

•••

This is something for which a good deal of blame can be laid at the feet of Wolverine. As that character became more and more popular, more and more "creative" types wanted their character to be Wolverine.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 12  

A--Peter Parker did not marry a supermodel. When they
first got married, they still had trouble paying their
bills. Considering most actors and models are poor,
having the Parker luck rub onto MJ (as it did when
they first got married) worked.

B--the Audience. The audience out there has changed,
for everything. Just look at what is watched by
viewers today compared with the 60s. It isn't just
new stories; the rules for what makes for a successful
TV show have changed. Even kids programming has
changed, from what is permissible to the nature of the
show--serial, stories with actual change is
commonplace.

C--the Audience. The comic audience that changes
every 5 years hasn't existed in decades. It's not
coming back. It can't come back. That audience
doesn't exist any longer. That market doesn't exist
any longer. (I mean the market where kids had the
freedom to run to the local drug store and buy a comic
on a huge comic rack. Those large comic stands don't
exist like they used to and parents don't let their
kids run free like that. Add to that, comics are no
longer the only place where kids can get easy access
to super-people. Between video games, netflicks and
more, kids have instant access to Superman in multiple
media.)

The market has changed; the audience has changed.
Archie tried to keep its formula unchanged, doing what
many on this board has thought Marvel should have
done, but now Archie is in trouble too. They are
embracing changed too. Why? The old market is gone.

Now; this doesn't mean the choices that Marvel and DC
have made to deal with the changes were good;
obviously not. Most of their ideas are flops, which is
why they keep changing things. But the 60s or 80s
model for producing comics probably wouldn't be
working today either.

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version