Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 1  

In 2015 we live in a world where layman on the street and small children know that Clark Kent is Superman, Bruce Wayne is Batman, Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and Tony Stark is Iron Man.

When I was a little kid, I discovered Batman and Superman and Spider-Man and Iron Man (et alia) not through comicbooks but through live action and cartoon TV programming, and through toys. The late 60s wasn't any different than now, in that respect. My 7 year old boy also discovered superheroes the same way -- except that he already knows how radically different the movie and, yes, comicbook versions of these characters are. So different that to him, by his own choice, they are repellent. The last few decades have taken away from kids what used to be their hobby. THAT is what's changed!
Back to Top profile | search

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 2  

"I'm interested to know why a new character hasn't been created instead of using Peter Parker to play Tony Stark..."

Well, this goes back to what I just said a few moments ago.
People all over the world KNOW who Peter Parker is.
People all over the world KNOW who Tony Stark is.

What's more interesting?
Someone you've never heard of before stepping up and trying to be like Tony Stark?
Or someone you know intimately-- with all their pluses and minuses, all their quirks and foibles-- and watching them try to step up and be a Tony Stark?

You tell this story because it puts your hero-- this guy you know and care about-- in a spot that he's not used to. It puts him on unstable ground. And that is WAY more interesting than watching him do the same-old, same-old again. Or watching that happen to someone you neither know or are invested in.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 3  

It's not courage to speak out in a place where someone else controls both the vertical and the horizontal. You don't fly into Cuba and say anything that might upset Castro. That wouldn't be courage. That'd be madness, right?

•••

Perpetuating the myth that opinions different from mine are not allowed in the JBF? Want to scurry down to your LCS with a tale of how you stood up to Big Bad Byrne?

yawn

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 4  

Dan, JB, for the most part this has been an interesting
discussion of comics. Thank you both for that; two of my
favorite pros (JB the first artist I recognized and
followed from title to title and Dan Slott who helped
bring me back to Spider-Man) talking about one of my
favorite industries and one of my favorite characters.

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 5  

"Perpetuating the myth that opinions different from mine are not allowed in the JBF? Want to scurry down to your LCS with a tale of how you stood up to Big Bad Byrne? yawn"

Sorry. It must suck to see/hear myths about who you are, what you do, people you collaborate with/for, or work you've produced perpetuated.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 6  

What's more interesting?
Someone you've never heard of before stepping up and trying to be like Tony Stark?
Or someone you know intimately-- with all their pluses and minuses, all their quirks and foibles-- and watching them try to step up and be a Tony Stark?
Why does anyone have to be like Stark? I can only speak for myself, here, but I know who Peter Parker is and he isn't Tony Stark, so I'd be more interested in a brand new character with a new identity, background, story, etc. I'd much rather follow her/his adventures than see Spider-Man change so much from the character he portrayed throughout the 60s, 70s & 80s.

Someone mentioned earlier that it seems like there's a lot of 'What If' stories being written at Marvel these days and I find it a bit strange.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 7  

"As a casual reader in the 80s I can safely say I never ever had problems knowing exactly what was going on in a particular book or even have to go back and read a few issues to catch up. I could go months without reading Spider-Man and still get straight into the story. Continuity was done via a footnote e.g. happened in Spider-Man#. If I wanted to I could go back and buy the issue but it wasn't a prerequisite."

Continuity was also done deftly and subtly through exposition in the script.  Something I've come to appreciate in recent years as I read TPBs of a certain vintage with an older and more analytical eye.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 8  

"Readers know who Tony Stark is and is supposed to be.
Readers also know who Peter Parker is and is supposed to be."

So much for every issue is someone's first issue.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
So much for every issue is someone's first
issue.

Today's entertainment is consumed so much differently
than when that phrase was coined. I'm not saying it
should be tossed by any means, just that with the
prevalence of these characters across different media
(movies, cartoons, toys, clothes, video games, theme
parks, social media, etc.), it's a much different time
and place than when that maxim was coined and that
should be recognized.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 10  

So much for every issue is someone's first issue.

I couldn't agree more.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 11  

Today's entertainment is consumed so much differently than when that phrase was coined. I'm not saying it should be tossed by any means, just that with the prevalence of these characters across different media (movies, cartoons, toys, clothes, video games, theme parks, social media, etc.), it's a much different time and place than when that maxim was coined and that should be recognized.

•••

Tossing out the baby AND the bath water every couple of years seems rather an extreme form of "recognition."

Dan Slott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 12  

"So much for every issue is someone's first issue."

All right. Check out the first issue for yourself and see if that still holds true.

I've got a pretty good rep/percentage for making issues good jumping on points for new readers.

(With the exception of the middle chapters of Spider-Verse. Man, those were tough to jump into. I'll concede to that every time.)

But I'll stand by my 125+ run of Spidey, all of She-Hulk, Thing, and what-have-you. Even middle chapters of arcs are very accessible.
Heck, go to the stands and pick up ANY of the 12 issues of Surfer. I dare you to find one that is not accessible as a first issue to readers of ANY age.

And, c'mon, do you really think we're going to launch an All-New AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 without making it a good first issue for all new readers? C'mon.

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version