Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

I will say this. I think it best for the future of the
line, that we as consumers support an in continuity title
lime this, if possible. It's a chance for us to put our
money where our mouth is.

The only way a title like this spread to other titles is
for it to be successful. The question becomes, does Marvel
put there best foot forward or launch a garbage title to
prove a point.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
He was at the retailers conference and the Marvel rep was saying how the book wasn't Marvel's idea. That Disney came up with it and are forcing Marvel to put it out.

"Forcing"?
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

We can count on Marvel to approach "Spidey" the same way as all their "all ages" titles. Amateurish creative team, sold nowhere where younger readers can find them, minuscule sales. "See, kids don't read comics". 

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

Spidey Super Stories

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

You maybe right, Joe. But thr only way Marvel will ever
change there line of books is if the all ages book they
have, sells extremely well. Money talks.

I'll be buying it for my son.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2015 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 6  

I think Peter Parker becoming a successful scientist and finally achieving personal success is the implied future that Peter will have.

His life should be building towards that.

In the meantime (what we the readers see) is Peter struggling to get to that point.

I think Peter's story ultimately ends a happy one, but that is the unwritten epilogue to his life.  In the meantime, in the comics, he's a student experiencing the hardships of life and ultimately becoming stronger for it.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 7  

You maybe right, Joe. But thr only way Marvel will ever
change there line of books is if the all ages book they
have, sells extremely well. Money talks.

While I do think that sales play a huge role in such a decision, I don't think that it is the sole deciding factor for whether or not Marvel would return to making all of their books all ages. I think that it also depends on the current editors and creators who are currently in charge of the books. These editors and creators need to (a) understand the true meaning of "all ages" (b) be able to produce layered stories that will appeal to and be suitable for all ages and (c) be willing to produce those layered all ages stories. For example, It seems to me that a lot of the fans turned pro who are currently working for Marvel either don't remember,realize,or want to admit that most (the exception being Marvel's magazine,graphic novel,and Epic Comics mini series featuring MU characters) of those Marvel comics they read from the 60's,70's,80's,and 90's were actually layered all ages comics. I mean when you have people like Quesada saying ignorant things like the "Dark Phoenix Saga was not an all ages story" you know that we have a problem.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2015 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't disagree, Rick. Still, without great sales, the
idea won't even get out of the gate. If the book sells
100,000+ copies, it becomes harder to ignore.   

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2015 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

About the Spidey book: I admit I was not a big fan of Untold tales of Spider-Man. Okay, I liked Kurt Busiek, one opf my favorites, but I always felt he didn't completely "get" the Lee style. Ditto for Pat Olliffe: a good artist, his characters looked so kind and polite, his art was so refreshing in those days. But I couldn't see any Ditko in his art. I think the big problem with UTOSM was that the title was a sort of "unpublished Spectacular Spider-Man", while maybe a "Superboy" approach would had been better. Am I wrong, or JB himself once had some ideas for a "Young Spider-Man" title? Something more similar to the classic "Superboy", with stories settled simply "in the past", instead of "between panel one and two of Amazing #**".
Marvel presented this "Spidey" book as something like this, so it may be interesting... but I'm afraid I won't to see talents I like involved. A book like this would be great, if offered by Roger Stern, or Tom DeFalco, with Ron Frenz! And the name itself, Spidey... I dunno, looks like they're inviting the readers at the kids' table. Sigh. Do you remember when every comic was "the kids' table"?.

Now, about Spider-Man:  I'm not interested in these comics anymore, or at least I'm not interested in what Marvel and DC call "comics" these days. I can't spend four bucks for 20 pages of stuff I don't like. The only books published from the majors I'm buying are Superman and, well... Amazing Spider-Man. I want to be honest, I didn't feel any "positive vibe" from the ASM #1 preview. I can't imagine "my" Peter Parker as a millionaire a la Tony Stark. With a Spidermobile. And Spider-Man as himself's bodyguard. No, that's not my cup of tea. Yet, I'll stick with ASM. Why? Because of Dan Slott. The guy proved so many times in these seven years his love for Spider-Man, his knowledge of the character, that I want to give him a chance. When Dan Slott jumped aboard ASM in 2008, I wasn't enjoying the character. He was not Spider-Man anymore. The last run I enjoyed was... guess what...? The Mackie/Byrne relaunch. When I was a kid, I was so naive: I could imagine I'd eventually read a bad story written by a bad writer, that can happen. But the concept of "out of character" was unconceivable, to me. I mean, these characters are plain and simple. Batman is "the world's greatest detective", Captain America is "a man out of time", Spider-Man is "the superhero who could be you". How can a writer don't get this? Yet, every writer after JB's departure from Amazing looked unable to get Peter Parker. And then came the Brand new day relaunch. I could recognize Peter Parker again. I was interested in Spider-Man again. Now, I can't believe that the same writer could write an "out of character" Spider-Man. Sure, things look so different, reading that preview. But, hey, maybe there's a story explaining everything. Maybe things will be fixed by Slott himself.
When JB was on ASM, Peter Parker got his dream job. That seemed a big change, but reading those stories you could see how he still was the same old, classic Peter Parker and he lost that job. At the end of the run, Peter was the same Spider-Man we all know and love, the same created by Lee and Ditko, written of course for the audience of the 2000s.

Shaking things is okay, it creates a sense of unexpected. The permanent change, the "this character must grow because I'm so tired to read his stories" approach, that's what I really loathe.

Funny thing, in Italy both JB and Slott runs are hated by so named fans, complaining because "the character doesn't grow!". Sigh.

Edited by Francesco Vanagolli on 16 July 2015 at 3:25pm

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2015 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Taking Peter and MJ out of university - just a couple of years after putting them back there - is one of the things I disliked about the 1999 relaunch. It's weird that so much time has passed without Peter being a student.

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2015 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 11  

Marvel lost the plot when stockholders became involved.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 44
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version