Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Sanity in California (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think the anti-vaccination crowd tend to be more the extreme liberal than the libertarian: the nothing artificial crowd. The same type that rail against GMOs and want everything organic or don't drink milk.

There is an extreme on the left. It's not as vile as the right, but it is wacko.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

Btw, JB, you realize of course that the title of this thread may be an
oxymoron?

++++++
Huh? I lived in Ca for about 5 years, found them to be passionate, intelligent
and very progressive.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2015 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Lets say, just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, that some wrong mix of vaccinations at the wrong time could cause autism...

How offensive is it that a parent would rather risk their child's death than risk their child being on the spectrum? What message does that send to all of the people out there living with autism?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 4  

Yes, but Steve, that is giving credence to a scenario that has zero basis in scientific fact. The person that first postulated that scenario MADE IT UP from zero evidence.

He was discredited, he was sent to prison. And he has caused untold damage across the world. And therefore, we shouldn't be playing devil's advocate here because there is no need to.

What we need, is for people to be sensible and GET THEIR KIDS VACCINATED.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 5  

Lets say, just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, that some wrong mix of vaccinations at the wrong time could cause autism...

How offensive is it that a parent would rather risk their child's death than risk their child being on the spectrum? What message does that send to all of the people out there living with autism?

••

Risking a child's death is by you not (or less) offensive?

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 6  

I've never understood the anti-vaccine movement.  I used to live in California (from the 1980s up until 2001) and don't remember a hue and cry about it then. 

I had a great aunt who had polio (no vaccine available then).  She sat in a chair 24/7.  It was really sad.

The people saying that vaccines are dangerous honestly seem a bit unhinged.

Eric Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 7  

My kids doctor's office made it clear, if you refuse vaccinations, take your kids elsewhere.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 8  

The people saying that vaccines are dangerous honestly seem a bit unhinged.

••

Mostly misinformed. There is much the same mentality at work here as we see in those who say Evolution is "only a theory." Science is incomprehensible for many, and if there are "conflicting views" in science, and one of them presents a "threat" -- well, of course people will over-react. (We banned saccharine because it cause cancer in mice, and it took decades to learn ONLY in mice!)

This is the problem with the internet. Once information -- and especially disinformation -- is out there, it will stay out there forever, and it often takes a lot of effort to sift our the facts.

Consider: a while back I read that there was a proven connection between abortion and autism. Women who'd had abortions would later give birth to children who were autistic. I mentioned this to a friend, who is a nurse, and she said she did not think it was true. (She'd had an abortion herself, in her early 20s, and neither of the children she had later were autistic.) Back I went to the internet, and I had to dig down thru about fifteen "layers" before I found the story that revealed this "theory" had been completely discounted -- just like the autism/vaccines "connection."

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 9  

This is the problem with the internet. Once information -- and especially disinformation -- is out there, it will stay out there forever, and it often takes a lot of effort to sift our the facts.

So true.The amount of times a story has turned out to be a hoax or taken way out of context but because it was on the internet people automatically think it must be the truth. I can't pretend to not have fallen for it myself. I've learned to start researching things myself instead of relying on the net.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 10  

Brennan Voboril wrote:
 I used to live in California (from the 1980s up until 2001) and don't remember a hue and cry about it then.

That's because the "movement", such as it is, was in its nascent stages.  Kids were still getting vaccinated above the threshold that it takes to keep the herd safe.  Now?  Vaccination levels are going down at an alarming rate and we're seeing outbreaks of diseases that we haven't seen in a generation or more, so that's why it's an issue now.  Particularly so when one of those outbreaks was homegrown in Disneyland.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 11  

So true.The amount of times a story has turned out to be a hoax or taken way out of context but because it was on the internet people automatically think it must be the truth. I can't pretend to not have fallen for it myself. I've learned to start researching things myself instead of relying on the net.

••

And Wikipedia institutionalizes all that is wrong with the "information highway."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

SIGH

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version