Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Career Q’s for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

John you've been fortunate enough to have had a long career. You've seen the good and the bad come and go. Add to that you've been lucky enough to have made an impact on the industry.  

Though you may have to deal with the occasional "Bad Byrne Stories". There is something i'd like to know. Are you satisfied with the way things turned out ?

Knowing what you now know. Would you go back and change anything? 

edit to clarify..

JB the changes i'm talking about are work related not personal.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 03 July 2015 at 1:15pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

Though you may have to deal with the occasional "Bad Byrne Stories". There is something i'd like to know. Are you satisfied with the way things turned out ?

•••

To quote Edmund Blackadder. "The fact that I am not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhinoceros is a constant niggle."

That said, it is not in my nature to be content. Not in my work, not in my life. So, as I often say, no, I'm not happy -- but I can see it from here.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the response John.  I hope I word this the right way. Even thou I hope it isn't for a long time to come. By the time you decide to hang it up. I hope you achieve that happiness. 

I think it is only fair that you get back some of what you've given to all of us.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

I wish everyone happiness, but contentedness usually becomes placidity and I do not wish placidity on anyone. Please continue to grow and be challenged, either externally or internally. Learn new things, try new things, teach and show what you have to share.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

I wish everyone happiness, but contentedness usually becomes placidity and I do not wish placidity on anyone. Please continue to grow and be challenged, either externally or internally. Learn new things, try new things, teach and show what you have to share.

•••

Pretty much where the piano comes in!

("No one, on their deathbed, ever said 'I wish I hadn't learned to play the piano!' ")

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

How is it going with the piano ? Almost ready to entertain at dinner parties yet?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

How is it going with the piano ? Almost ready to entertain at dinner parties yet?

••

No, but my teacher says I am ahead of where I would normally be after a year of lessons.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's never too early to take bookings...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2015 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 9  

Speaking of pianos, I just had mine tuned a couple weeks ago and it's glorious!  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2015 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 10  

I have to get mine tuned about every four months, climate being such an issue here in CT. Having a humidity control gizmo installed has helped, tho I still start to hear a metallic twang to the notes a few days before I have to adjust the water level.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2015 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 11  

I have a humidity gizmo too. (Although an open jar of water does the same thing in the winter). I have mine tuned twice a year because of humidity -- we like the windows open. 

Recently, I discovered my neighbors could hear me practicing. I felt like apologizing cuz practicing ain't a concert. I've been playing through/ working/ remembering the score to ONCE ON THIS ISLAND, which is rythmically very complex -- the two hands are sometimes in conflicting meters. But my neighbor, like you John, has just started the piano in his retirement and says he finds my playing inspirational. That flattered me enough to keep the windows open. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2015 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 12  

I'm pretty sure my neighbors to the south can hear me practicing, but it frets me not, given the loud parties they seem to have every weekend on their back deck, not far from my bedroom window!

I think I mentioned in another thread that I strayed away from my teacher's progression of lessons and picked up a second hand book of "classic songs for beginners." Pretty complex some of them, and I settled on "Misty," mostly because of the elaborate finger moves. (I LOVE it when the thumb has to cross under!)

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version