have a view outside the mainstream. I prefer the more narrow position
that a troll just wants attention and shows up to attack and antagonize
(we've all been witness to trolls on this board, for example). I don't think
Trump fits that description. He simply attacks and antagonizes because
that's how he communicates.

If you go to a lot of bars in Averagetown, America, you'd be surprised by
how many people sound like Trump. And the "anti-intellectualism" and
dismissal of any consideration for others when expressing yourself as
"PC" that has become very popular is epitomized in Trump.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2015 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't think Trump wants anything but attention. Troll seems correct to me. He doesn't even earn the title demagogue.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2015 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

You don't think Trump just wants attention? Where have you been for the
last 10 years?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2015 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

Unless something monumentally stupid happens to Clinton between now and the election, and also based on the GOP field, she'll be the next President.  And the way the country's demographics are starting to lean, there may not be another Republican in the White House for a couple of decades.

If the various demographic groups vote the way we did in 2008 and 2012 (meaning the gross turnout numbers among demographics as well as the way each demographic voted) you're probably right.
Despite my unwillingness to support Mitt Romney in the last primary, and despite my certainty that he would lose the general election, as the general election polls began to come in showing Romney leading the incumbent among independents, middle-class voters and Catholics, I became convinced that despite his inherent weaknesses, Mitt Romney would win the election- in convincing fashion.  Obviously, I was very wrong in that regard.  But my conviction was based on historically rational criteria.  Prior to this last election, if you told me a candidate won independents by five points and the middle class by six, I'd tell you that candidate won the election; most likely in convincing fashion.

But that's not how it played out.  And this, I think, will be the most interesting question about the next election; can Hillary Clinton replicate the President's turnout model?  Is the winning voter coalition of 2008-12 the Democrat coalition going forward, or will it prove to be the Obama coalition; a unique response to a unique candidate?  I'm not even going to pretend to have the answer to that question, but I will be interested to watch.

But I will say this: Hillary Clinton is a far weaker candidate than the current President, and if there is even a small drop off in any of the President's key voter groups, the 2016 election will become very competitive.  I think both Walker and Rubio give Clinton more trouble than she expects, but Bush will lose going away unless the 2016 turnout looks more like the 2010-14 midterm turnout, than even 2000-04 presidential years.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2015 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ah, well, as long as it keeps Berkeley Breathed happy, we can put up with Trump for a little while, right?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2015 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

When Berkeley Breathed is happy, I'm happy. Especially since he started Bloom County up again.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2015 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 7  

i dont understand how anyone can take a man seriously that can look in the mirror daily and not see how terrible his comb over is. and then is surrounded by people who wont tell him that truth. that alone makes him look like a terrible president. right? or at least one that might be a little crazy. not seeing the obvious isnt a trait i want in a president.
that being said, i think it would be great to elect someone that isnt a washington insider, that isnt in anyone's pocket from donations, and is more of a 'cowboy' than Reagan ever was...
what a hilarious 4 years it would be. before we were attacked by every other country. he wouldnt be worse than Kim Jong Il though...

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2015 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 8  

Trump has sort of taken the role of this character, in the way he's been treating Republican politicians:

Edited by Joe Zhang on 22 July 2015 at 6:17am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcus Hiltz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2015 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 9  

Unless something monumentally stupid happens to Clinton between now and the election, and also based on the GOP field, she'll be the next President.

--

What a thoroughly depressing thought. And I'm not even a Republican!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2015 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 10  

Unless something monumentally stupid happens to Clinton between now and the election, and also based on the GOP field, she'll be the next President.

••

Cumulative effect doesn't count?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2015 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 11  

A Hillary Presidency doesn't excite me.  In fact it bugs me a bit more and more each day.  I have yet to hear her say anything that moves my needle.  

But any one of this crop of Republicans in office scares the living shit outta me.  

I just signed up to volunteer to help the Sanders campaign.  I might canvas door to door (as I did for Obama in his first election).  Don't slam the door on me if I show up at your door.   We can talk comics and stuff after I hand you my materials!

FEEL THE BERN!  2016!

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2015 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

Bernie Sanders seems like a very wise man...i only saw a few minutes of him on Real Time. if Bill Maher likes him then so do i.

the only point of Hillary is a woman in the office and then itll be Clinton shit as usual, but the US was flush during the last Clinton run. so it may be an economy boost.

pretty much every Republican looks like a jackass to me, at least slightly just because they're IN the party to begin with. they say the most stupid outdated racist religious shit (like arguing against climate change or even just good environmental policy) - i just cant remotely get behind any human that expects to run a mixed country according to the rules in the Bible. all they sound like is god fearing, scaredy cats afraid of anything they dont know, and anyone they dont understand. And its 10 times worse when they have THAT MANY people come out of the woodwork to run all against each other - shows complete party chaos. THEY'LL NEVER WIN any time soon. at this point, said to say they NEED Trump.

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version