Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Scripting and Pacing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2015 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

Obviously, the storytelling is so good that it might as well have been a silent issue!

But, I will play devil's advocate here. First off, I think thought balloons are ok. In this case, Kitty's internal monologue of the chase added a sense of anxiety to the story. Also, the balloon placement here is really deft, it helps your eye run over the page nicely.

Claremont's verbose style really put the reader inside the X-Men's heads...and it was always a pleasant read... I don't think any supergroup was ever as loved by their readers as the X-Men were in the 80s!

And as much as it was because the Byrne-Austin entity made them and their world look just perfect, a lot of it was from seeing them in their Claremont moments, having picnics, holidays or going out on the town!

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 26 July 2015 at 7:24pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2015 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've always read comics as the pictures being snapshots of exact moments in the story with the dialogue being continuous. I've never thought that all the words had to happen within that split second glimpse that we see in the panel. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2015 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've always read comics as the pictures being snapshots of exact moments in the story with the dialogue being continuous. I've never thought that all the words had to happen within that split second glimpse that we see in the panel.

•••

Most of the time, there is no need to do so. As I said, mostly we assume elapsed time before and after a panel.

But a sequence in which Clark Kent is at his desk in the first panel, heading out the door in the second, ducking into the supply closet in the third, and flying out the window as Superman in the fourth cannot -- or should not -- be dialogued the same way as a scene in which Superman darts about the Fortress of Solitude at super speed. Both scenes may fill half a page or so, but their internal time is different.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 4  

I like to read my comics as well as admire the art. I agree 100% about the differences in pacing, but when I buy a comic and read it in record breaking time, like happens often nowadays, I feel cheated as a reader. 

The caveat is, it gets old when the writer states the obvious when the pictures say all you need.

Seems to me to be a pretty tough spot to be in, for a writer.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 27 July 2015 at 12:29am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 5  

Also, the balloons crowd the art. It's particularly detrimental in panels 3 and 6. 

Edited by Larry Lawrence on 27 July 2015 at 9:20am

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 6  

While Kitty couldn't possible say all that dialogue out loud, all those thoughts could rush through her mind. In a novel, this would be understood better, but on the comics page it seems like there might be a guideline to keep in mind-- a hunt for an ideal balance.

As a humble reader, I was captivated by this page as it is-- if that's any consolation to the artist who has to suffer so many thought balloons laid over his work.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 7  

Also, the balloons crowd the art. It's particularly detrimental in panels 3 and 6.

••

A lot of writers, working plot-pencils-script, seem utterly unable to tailor their captions and dialog to the available space. The cosmic balance is struck, mind you, by the number of artists working full script who cannot shape their art to the amount of space they should be able to calculate the copy is going to take!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 8  

I want to add my admiration for the lettering and colors which seem to be working hard toward the same purpose-- despite the script being so word-heavy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 9  

And as much as it was because the Byrne-Austin entity made them and their world look just perfect, a lot of it was from seeing them in their Claremont moments, having picnics, holidays or going out on the town!

••

Not to take from Chris anything that is fully his, but those moments belong as much to me! When we jumped from 17 to 22 pages, I was quick to say this meant we could do more "X-Men go to the pizza place" scenes.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 10  

I want to add my admiration for the lettering and colors which seem to be working hard toward the same purpose-- despite the script being so word-heavy.

I presume the colouring was done by Glynis Wein. I adore her work.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2015 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 11  

For me, it's the last panel. 

"Now to see how smart you are."-To my mind, pretty much covers what is needed there.

It actually reads more like a list, designed to curtail any questions that might appear later in fan-letters.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 July 2015 at 4:08am | IP Logged | 12  

It actually reads more like a list, designed to curtail any questions that might appear later in fan-letters.

••

Or from Jim Shooter!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version