Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: The White Queen - Evolution? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2015 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Man she looks like Hilary Duff.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2015 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

Unfortunately, most young artist these days don't know who Faye
Dunaway. Which is very sad, she was one of the most beautiful
actresses. Loved her in The Thomas Crown Affair (loved her cameo in the
remake) , Bonnie and Clyde , Chinatown and Three Days of the Condor.
A classic beauty!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2015 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

When I was a kid, the skimpiest female superhero costume belonged to Wonder Woman.  Essentially, it was a two-piece bathing suit plus high heels.  The X-females followed a trend, earlier embraced by female rock stars, of functionally dressing in their underwear.  It was inevitable, given the culture and the times, but essentially it has been down hill from there.  I don't know what a young kid would make of sexualized comics today, but then, I'm not quite sure how parents cope with what is on the internet and television.  Some of the Vertigo stuff would have had the villagers circling the DC offices with pitch forks in the fifties.  Today, its ignored in the wider cultural pollution.  

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2015 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

And Emma Frost was based upon Faye Dunaway, a template later artists either were not aware of or ignored
++++

???!

I thought Emma Frost was based on Diana Rigg (Emma Peel)...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2015 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

The idea of Jean Grey becoming the Black Queen of an 18th century-style Hellfire Club was based upon an episode of the Avengers in which Emma did much the same thing, under the welcoming auspices of a character played by Peter Wyngarde. That being the case, if anyone was based on Diana Rigg in that scenario, it was Jean herself. 

Fortunately, I had to tear down a wall of boxes in my storage unit not long ago and dragged a few home with me. As it turns out, my copy of X-Men Companion II is right here. On page 74, Peter Sanderson is discussing JB's use of real people as models for characters. 

Sanderson: Now, I know that the White Queen was named after Diana Rigg's character on the show. Was there any attempt to get any of her features the way the character looked?

Byrne: No. The name came after. I didn't know what the name was until after I saw the published book. She was just this blonde lady. Actually, my visual imagery when I started to create the character was Faye Dunaway. That sort of Ice Queen-type.

He goes on to mention that he based his Moira MacTaggert after actress Hannah Gordon from Upstairs, Downstairs and saw elements of Max Baer Jr. in Colossus, Robert Walden (of Lou Grant) in Nightcrawler, Keene Curtis in Xavier, and his early Jean Grey was Raquel Welch (!!) In each case the resemblance was simply a "hook." There was never any attempt to match the actor's likeness exactly.

And he apparently based Kitty's mom on Mary Jo Duffy! :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

Robert Cosgrove wrote:
When I was a kid, the skimpiest female superhero costume belonged to Wonder Woman.  Essentially, it was a two-piece bathing suit plus high heels.
Two piece? Always seemed like a one piece to me, 

The bathing suit look seemed popular in the 50s/60s. Some of the early LSH ladies' costumes wouldn't have looked out of place at the beach.(sans capes and gloves) And of course the Cockrum costumes wouldn't have batted too many eyes on the beaches of the 70s. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 7  

The White Queen had about ten years of being a "good guy" before the Morrison/Quitely run of X-Men.  She'd already been softening a bit once she took charge of young students called The Hellions over in the New Mutants book, but the trauma from seeing them killed off put her on the path toward starting a new school with Banshee over in Generation X.  By the time Morrison started writing X-Men, I'm sure it had been at least a decade since she'd fought any of them, and her appearances as a hero far outnumbered her appearances as a villain.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 8  

Like that shot of Superman "sitting on a cloud," looking back over his shoulder at the viewer with a Pretty great, aren't I? expression on his face.
--

And for some people, that has become one of the defining Superman images and stories. Unfathomable.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 4:08am | IP Logged | 9  

I thought Emma Frost was based on Diana Rigg (Emma Peel)...

••

The costume worn by Jean as the Black Queen was heavily influenced by the outfit worm by Mrs. Peel in "A Touch of Brimstone." I say "influenced" because back in the Stone Age, I did not have the easy access to reference that exists today, so I worked from memory. The White Queen was designed as a counterpoint to Jean's look.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 10  

It's odd (maybe), but the Black Queen outfit seems far more overtly sexual to me than the White Queen's simply by virtue of the colour.

I remember one of my friends when we were about 10 or 11 referring to the Black Queen's get-up as bondage gear, though I don't think either of us properly knew what that meant.

Edited by Peter Martin on 30 July 2015 at 9:45am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 11  

It's odd (maybe), but the Black Queen outfit seems far more overtly sexual to me than the White Queen's simply by virtue of the colour.

••

Also -- at least in my day -- bigger boobs!

Amazed to this day that the Code let us get away with this cover:

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Yeah. They're pushed pretty high up, there.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version