Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Reduced for Reproduction (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2015 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

On the topic of Roy Thomas and Alter-Ego, he took an Alex Toth drawing of Wonder Woman addressing the rest of the JSA and used it as a wraparound cover, and spoke happily in his editorial about proud he was to offer this piece to his readers and how glad he was to have the opportunity to fix Toth's costume mistakes... 

+++++++

Roy Thomas: "1981 Justice Society of America illo we used as this issue's cover. Because of our mag's dimensions, we had to lop off Flash, Dr. Mid-Nite and Wonder Woman and Ye Editor wanted a couple of minor costume details added for consistency. So we made damn sure to print the entire drawing inside, just as Alex drew it a quarter of a century ago and as it saw print in Alex Toth Black and White. This was probably the first time Toth had drawn the JSA as a group since 1948, so why should he remember each and every crazy costume detail?" 

I question why Thomas used that art for the cover since he didn't print it as a wraparound but his editorial never mentioned anything about that cover. 
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2015 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

Not seeing any glee in that quote. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 3  

For my sixtieth birthday, Jim Warden commissioned a drawing of Captain America from Joe Kubert, something I had been wanting for a long, long time.

The drawing is gorgeous, but being unfamiliar with the character Joe got just about every major detail wrong. Too many stripes on the shield, for instance. Wrong boots. Wrong gloves. Wings too big and too low on his mask. And yet, when I looked at the drawing for the first time (and every time since) there was not so much as the whisper of a wish that I could "fix" it. And you know why?

IT'S A DRAWING OF CAPTAIN AMERICA BY JOE KUBERT.

Sometimes the thing itself is of greater intrinsic value than the subject matter. Like when ALEX TOTH draws the JSA, for instance.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 4  

I agree. If Roy had problems with the accuracy, use something else as the cover. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think that Roy has trouble stopping the editor in him from coming out.

...Mixed with a bit of anal retentive fanboy.  

Edited by Matt Hawes on 02 August 2015 at 1:32pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

More of the latter, I think. Love the guy's work, but he get lost in the minutiae. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

I don't see a problem with the changes for the use on the cover myself. A cover is a different beast and I don't hold them to the actual same criteria as I would photos inside. Artwork for publication is often a case of many people at different steps, making things correct for publication. Inkers have corrected how emblems are drawn or mistakes in anatomy. If it had been penciled and not inked, I would not hold it against the editors and publishers to hire an inker to ink it before coloring (this is often done with the Kirby Collector for example). The piece was colored where Toth's was not, much as the piece of the Avengers vs Defenders was not originally done with color in mind but is now in color.  I don't see how making some fairly small corrections to actual errors is more egregious than adding color (not to mention having to crop out half the pic to make it fit the proportions). And, Thomas did run the original Toth artwork as it was inside the book so people could actually see the original piece before the secondary work was done. It's not like he's covering up the changes or simply ignoring that some changes were made. He's all up front about it and still providing access to seeing a copy of the original.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think that Roy has trouble stopping the editor in him from coming out.

••

Roy's lawyers, please not I did not say that!!

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

-------

I will gladly lend you any of my Invaders or All-Star Squadron issues for a judge to read and dismiss any such case.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2015 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Damn. A Joe Kubert Captain America?

Damn. 

Jim Warden is awesome.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 11  

Me wrote:
... I think that Roy has trouble stopping the editor in him from coming out.

John Byrne wrote:

And I would like to point out to those lawyers I wrote "I think," which is not the same legally as saying "he is." :-)

Jeffrey Rice wrote:
...I will gladly lend you any of my Invaders or All-Star Squadron issues for a judge to read and dismiss any such case. ...

Yeah, it's hardly a state secret. Heck, I bet Roy would cop to it. He is known for being an uber-fan turned pro (if not the first comics fan turned pro).

Edited by Matt Hawes on 03 August 2015 at 2:00am

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version