Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Speculators and a Digital Era (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

While I will always prefer a physical comic book to a digital one, I've found myself buying the digital versions more frequently. 

Digital comics have some very clear advantages:

Easy storage. Entire collections can be neatly stored. A plus for those who live in smaller homes and don't have as much room to spare.

Pricing. Most of the digital comics I've bought (admittedly, not a huge number) have been lower than the cover price. 

Accessibility. Since local comic shops have dwindled, at least in my area, I now have access to many titles I didn't before (I've given up hope of comics ever returning to the newsstands).

Mobility. Since comics can be stored on my tablet or phone, I can take them anywhere. It's nice to be able to read comics anywhere I go (I've even enjoyed them while waiting in long checkout line!)

It occurred to me that as the digital format gains momentum and becomes more of a mainstream outlet, the print runs on physical comics may dwindle. 

Then I had a frightening thought..

Lower print runs could make a physical comic more scarce, and could very possibly lure back the speculators. 

I figured so many online venues such as eBay and Amazon would be the final nail in the speculation coffin since retailers would have a much harder time hawking those old back issues at hugely inflated prices since they could be so easily found in other markets. 

But if there are fewer physical copies to begin with, there won't be as many to be found on eBay or anywhere else. 

I would love to hear some thoughts on this. Am I being paranoid?

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

"...Could very possibly lure back the speculators..."

They never left. Yes, after the comic market bust of the mid-1990s there was a period where there were less true speculators, but there will always be speculators in any market where a profit can be made by "flipping" it.

All those variant covers you see the publishers pushing out, who do you think they are appealing to with those covers? Anytime a movie or TV show is announced, and the sales of the comics that the movie are TV show is based on spikes up online and elsewhere, who do you think is driving those sales?

Speculation will never go away in any market where speculation can be profitable. The thing I encourage is for people who are true fans of comics is to not get caught up in it, and buy what they truly enjoy. If it goes up in value, consider that a bonus, but if not you will still enjoy what you buy.

I also would like to see publishers focus more on content than gimmicks. The publishers (and, yes, retailers) sell to anyone who is willing to buy the product, but the publishers need to realize that at the heart of the desire for a comic is the fact that someone out there truly loves the art and/or story, and characters, etc. In the end, what sustains sales is a genuine interest in the product, and not what it can profit a speculator in the short run.

It's funny to see publishers acting as if they aren't committing the sins of the 1990s with cheap marketing gimmicks so long as they don't slap foil on a cover. However, not all gimmicks are covered in foil. How many variant covers did Marvel's new STAR WARS comics have anyway? Hmmm...

Edited by Matt Hawes on 30 July 2015 at 6:36pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Funny thing, if I happen to drop one of my bound volumes, the pages won't go blank.

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

The only thing (except double page spreads) that I dislike about digital comics is that I find there isn't the same re-reading factor as when there are physical copies on a shelf or in a box that can be browsed and read when the mood hits. This could be corrected by a well designed app, but most of the apps are more focused on buying than reading.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

There is something about the touch and feel and smell of comics that the digital age can never reproduce though I do agree there are some storage advantages.  While I don't mind Netflix streaming for movies, I still want "physical media" for my comic books!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2015 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

The new Star Wars #1 sold over 900k copies and had 68 variants. 68. I think it's safe to say the speculators are already back.

Sam Parker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2015 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Lovers of print are simply confusing the plate for the food." - Douglas Adams

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2015 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

I am open to any new format that will possibly bring in new readers and energize the industry (not sure if the digital format will do that yet, but who knows). 

However, I remain 'old school' and will always prefer the physical print.

I feel the same about books/ebooks. I like ebooks for the same reason I like digital comics. But nice leather-bound books are things of beauty and I love the feel of a nice hardback book. 

I have faith that digital and print formats can successfully co-exist. 

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2015 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 9  

"Accessibility. Since local comic shops have dwindled, at least in my
area, I now have access to many titles I didn't before..."

And this is *eggzackly* what's pushing me to digital. It's great living
overseas, especially now that I'm in Italy, but trying to find JB's new
Trek series here? Ugh. That said, so far I've only tried here in Lucca
and in Viareggio, so I've yet to hit any major cities to look. If i have no
luck in say Pisa or Florence, I will indeed give up and get them digitally.
Small screen is better than not being able to read them at all, right?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2015 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10  

I will always prefer the thing in my hand, the book.  Nothing replaces the feel, the smell, the joy. 

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2015 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 11  

I feel the same way Brennan. But I do think that an additional format that would help sustain comics in a digital era and get them into the hands of new readers is ultimately a good thing. Also, comic titles that aren't doing so well sales-wise might have a better chance of being put out since it would cost publishers less to produce (I don't know this for a fact but I can only guess that it would cost less since there would be no ink, paper, staples, separators, etc). 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really trying to 'sell' anyone on digital comics. They have disadvantages to printed comics to be sure. You are reading something that relies on battery power and a device that could (as JB pointed out) be dropped or could simply "crash" or malfunction. 

But honestly, I love that I can have a virtual library of comics at my fingertips that I can read while on break/lunch at work, or at bus stops, waiting rooms, etc. 

I will continue to buy printed comics as long as they exist. But I only read a handful of titles now, this and the fact that digital versions often cost a bit less, I think I can afford to buy both a printed version and a digital copy. The average price for a digital copy on Kindle or Google Play is around $1.75 - $1.99. Not too bad. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version