Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Universe by John Byrne Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 1  

The Gods of Comics put a curse on my relationship with the Hulk from Day One.

I saw the first issue on a spinner rack and was instantly enthralled by the character. Unfortunately, my mother strictly restricted by comic purchases -- Age of Wertham still in effect -- and I spent a lot of time begging to be permitted to pick up the Hulk's book. Finally she relented in time to let me get issue 5. Lousy distribution meant I did not even see issue 6 -- and then the book was canceled!

I filled my Hulk cravings by attempting to build a model of the character out of clay. About eight inches tall. Everything that could possibly go wrong with it went wrong with it. Limbs kept falling off. The head fell off. Finally it was ready for "firing" (baking in the oven) where it fell over and smashed the face flat!

I was thrilled to see the Hulk show up in FF 25, but it turned out to be Part One of a "continued story," and it was literally years before I was able to track down the second part!

After I turned pro, I kept an eye out for any chance to work on the Hulk. I did a Hulk annual with Roger Stern, but the art was demolished by the inks. I shared a cab with Jim Shooter and told him some of the things I'd thought about for the Hulk, and he said "DO IT!" so I swapped titles with Bill Mantlo, ALPHA FLIGHT for THE INCREDIBLE HULK, and half a dozen issue in Shooter said "You can't DO this!"

Meanwhile, to amuse myself, I built another clay statue -- which fell over in the oven and smashed the face in.

I returned to the book as writer, years later, at the request of the penciler. Less said about that experience the better.

Clearly, ol' Greenskin and I were just not meant to be!!

Back to Top profile | search

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 2  

The inker in question on that Hulk Annual recently posted this on his Facebook page...

"This was the little project that was responsible for launching the careers of Roger Stern, John Byrne and me. Up until this one-shot, the three of us were basically second stringers. After Hulk Annual #7, we all got noticed-- big time."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 3  

I wonder if Wolverine's cigar will make the final cut for the cover.  Given the extreme edits and redraws I've seen on some of JB's art for trades, and given how easy it would be to remove the cigar, I'll bet it stays in.
---------------------------------------------
I'm rather confounded by this line of thinking...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 4  

"This was the little project that was responsible for launching the careers of Roger Stern, John Byrne and me. Up until this one-shot, the three of us were basically second stringers. After Hulk Annual #7, we all got noticed-- big time."

••

Uhm... no. My career got "launched" by X-MEN, which I'd been doing for more than a year when this Annual came out.

(Coincidentally, both have December cover dates, X-MEN in 1977, HULK in 1978.)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 5  

You smashed the Hulk, JB, twice!

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6  

I can remember picking up that Hulk annual at a hardware store (loooong gone) just like it was yesterday.
That was a great time for comics.
LOVE that Omnibus cover!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 7  

Not a fan of anyone's use of Zip-a-Tone except Terry on John. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

Not a fan of anyone's use of Zip-a-Tone except Terry on John.

••

Neal Adams was a master of zip-a-tone, which unfortunately inspired a whole lot of people who were NOT masters of zip-a-tone (myself included) to go crazy with it. (One inker with whom I was inflicted had a great fondness for a particular dot-pattern of zip that conflicted with the color plate screen. Little "flowers" bloomed everywhere. When I asked him to stop, for this reason, he said "I like the flowers!")

It truly became a nightmare when artists also fell in love with color holds (something else Neal used well) and started combining them with zip. Sometimes layers upon layers! One artist notoriously turned in a page on which a single panel had SIXTEEN overlays, combinations of zip-a-tone and color holds!!!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

Remember enjoying Hulk Annual #7 in my youth, but as an adult wished to see the pencils to that issue… especially for this splash:

Of course, JB's run on the Hulk's regular title was very good (and sadly shorter than I expected). Still, love the progression of JB's art at that time:

Again, I've found it pretty informative looking at the evolution of my favorite artist's career.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

"Meanwhile, to amuse myself, I built another clay statue --
which fell over in the oven and smashed the face in."

The third statue burned down, fell over, and then sank into
the swamp...

Carmelo Bazaco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

We actually got an Alpha Flight Omnibus in Spasin. It also includes all the relevant X-Men issues and Hulk Annual #8. And it is a very reasonable 60 euros.

http://www.paninicomics.es/web/guest/titulo_detail?viewItem= 729746

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2015 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

I've never fully understood the ins and outs of the difference between zip-a-tone and duo-shade, but loved your duo-shade stuff on Namor, JB.

I thought the art on your Hulk run rocked. Maybe one day you and ol' greenskin will come together in a beautiful and lasting way. Not holding my breath, but fingers crossed.

Maybe there could be a story involving a face getting smashed in an oven... 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version