Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: 1982 DC Comics Style Guide (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 1  

i have never been a fan of Jim Lee, right from the get go.

Giordano was certainly in DC's top 4 artists i think...he was everywhere, even if most of it was inking

great link! thanks!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 2  

As a kid reader, I thought that DC's cover art, and sometimes interior art was fantastic. But the stories were usually boring, compared to Marvel of the 80's. Of course, that changed when JB's work showed up in Superman! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 3  

As a kid reader, I thought that DC's cover art, and sometimes interior art was fantastic. But the stories were usually boring, compared to Marvel of the 80's. Of course, that changed when JB's work showed up in Superman!

I'm pretty sure most people thought that. Marvel had like a 70% market share back then until MOS.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 4  

When I was breaking in, it was popular to say DC had the better characters, but Marvel had the better stories.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think that's still true to an extent (the better characters part I mean). Superman and Batman are IMO the two best characters in comics and DCs history when it comes to actually telling good stories with them is frustratingly inconsistent. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

That collection of images brings back memories. Also a little sad reminder of what's been lost. 

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Thanks for posting this, Flavio. Some of my earliest exposure to Superman was from these images and the work of Garcia Lopez. Wonderful to see again.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

Source:

Even back in 1982, in-house, he was being called Shazam?

I've never seen this guide before but wow what a great resource.
I'm probably stating something the rest of the world already knows, but George Perez must have drawn tons of inspiration from JLG.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 27 August 2015 at 5:35pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 9  

The character in the comics was still being called Captain Marvel, even if DC was not allowed to advertise him as such on the cover or in licensing agreements. The trademark for that name went unprotected long enough that Marvel was able to scavenge it for their character, as other companies had done before them.

With that trademark gone, DC went with the next best thing known about the character (thank you, Gomer Pyle) to publicize his adventures and smiling face. Why confuse retailers by calling the character something in the clip-art book they can't actually use? I find it odd that the book does make reference to Capt. Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel's names. They really couldn't do much with those either, could they?

As an old school reader, I retch at the final cave-in to a longtime bad situation by doing away with the character's original name entirely, and calling him by the wizard's name from here on in. The wizard is now just called "The Sorceror" or somesuch, isn't he? I know for a really annoyingly affected period in the nineties, Freddy tried to establish his street cred by taking the rap handle CM3 while Mary tried to strike a blow for equality by also calling herself Captain Marvel, since she had just as much claim to the rank as her dumb brother, which is to say... none.

It's just painful sometimes watching these characters being dragged, kicking and screaming, by clueless creators into "relevancy" and modern-day respectability. Like Superman strutting the Krypton Crawl painful...

The Nu52 "Shazam" is just the latest iteration of this ongoing exercise in tone-deafness.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2015 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

Next, they'll re-boot the character as a southerner, and spell his name as Gomer pronounced it..SHA-ZAY-UM(subtitled 'The Original Private Pyle', to distinguish him from the jelly-donut guy from Full Metal Jacket).

Clint Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Wait, wait, wait ...

Since Captain Marvel is called Shazam now, does that mean he can't say his own name?

Is there even a Captain Marvel Jr anymore?  Mary Marvel?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2015 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 12  

Even back in 1982, in-house, he was being called Shazam?

••

Since DC had lost the rights to the name "Captain Marvel" they used SHAZAM as the title of his book when it was relaunched. Even tho the character was clearly called "Captain Marvel" RIGHT ON THE COVER…

…and on practically every page inside, microbrained fans started calling him "Shazam" almost immediately.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version