Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: I have no words... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sadly, I'm reading the usual debates when the subject of gun control comes up....people hiding behind the 2nd Amendment and bashing those who would even THINK of supporting stricter gun laws. (People really ARE desensitized to violence even after Sandy Hook.)

Plus, idiots actually calling this tragedy a false story and a conspiracy brought upon by the media!!!! **sigh**

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2015 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

Time to start infringing on the civil rights of similarly batshit-crazy motherfuckers like him. Keep them locked up where the only way they'll see a gun is if they're being pistol-whipped by guards.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 3  

Stephen Robinson wrote:

We don't even recommend laws that would
require a reasonable proof of threat

How do you decide who should feel threatened? The woman being stalked in that gated community may feel really threatened. It sadly does take a bit more to get the police actively involved in a stalking case than it should. Not saying your idea doesn't have merit but I think the logistics of it would cause to fail.

Geoffrey Langford wrote:

make bullets illegal

let them keep their guns

That would only cause them to create new types of bullets not covered by the new laws. When I worked in corrections I was amazed at the stuff that inmates would turn into guns and bullets.

Charles Valderrama wrote:
Plus, idiots actually calling this tragedy a false story and a conspiracy brought upon by the media!!!! **sigh**

Who's calling this a false story? Could you send over a link? I don't doubt there are idiots out there that are saying that but I'd like to see their justification.

Brian O'Neill wrote:
Time to start infringing on the civil rights of similarly batshit-crazy motherfuckers like him. Keep them locked up where the only way they'll see a gun is if they're being pistol-whipped by guards.
Are you suggesting that we infringe on the civil rights of the ill people by locking them up for being ill? Or just allowing guards to beat on them? Either way, not sure I agree with you.. pretty sure I don't.

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 4  

It's a lot easier to keep passing laws to prevent "new bullets" from being legal than it is to go after the Constitution. 

Tax bullets, put a tarif on them -- make one bullet $1,000 retail.  Make reload presses illegal, gun powder, etc.

The right to bear arms means owning guns -- okay -- let them own as many guns as they want.  They will argue this "bear arms" bit includes ammo for the guns to make them functional.   Nothing in the constitution says the ammo must be affordable for a McDonalds employee.  Nothing says "the right to make your own ammo". 

When I was in law enforcement, all our ammo was supplied by unique contracted suppliers -- making it very difficult and completely cost prohibitive for the general public to buy bullets wouldn't affect the police staying armed, but it sure would cut down on the amount of regular crazy Joe's with shit loads of weapons, etc.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm not sure why we're even debating this - the NRA is totally right: we simply need to prevent the malicious, the clumsy, the very young, and those with a history of mental illness, or any likelihood of ever becoming mentally ill, or even temporarily insane, from obtaining guns. And since the list above covers just about everybody on this planet at one time or another, logically, this leads us to the conclusion that guns should effectively be banned for the general public!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 6  

the issue of guns for everyone or for no one (outside of law enforcement) is fairly complicated. but one thing i think is fairly obvious is that its time we made it so you cant buy guns from gunshows, dept stores, & pawn shops. guns should only be sold at one type of strictly controlled outlet type (maybe even govt run like booze was when i moved to WA state) - and there should be a limit to how many one can own, what types one can own and how many are manufactured every year. thats a start anyway. screw the NRA too. howver soon one will be able to print out a gun at home, so then what?

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 7  

Tax bullets, put a tarif on them -- make one bullet $1,000 retail.

Or $5000 according to Chris Rock (3:13 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0Y4qIZ4PA
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 8  

The "tax bullets" idea, whether intended seriously or not, breaks against the rocks of cowardice in our lawmakers. Nothing will ever be done as long as the gun lobby wields the power it does.

Just keep piling up the bodies.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 9  

I think allowing civilians to possess semi-automatic weapons is just
ridiculous. that just needs to go away NOW!

As for gun ownership, while I don't believe guns have any place in a truly
civilized society, how about this: after we do away with the semi-
automatic problem, require that all privately owned guns be housed at
highly regulated shooting ranges. Wanna get your rocks off and fire your
weapon? Cool...go do it at the firing range and hand it back in when
you're done. Keep the guns away from the general public.

And for crying out loud get rid of the ridiculously outdated 2nd
Amendment once and for all!!!

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 10  

Geoffrey Langford wrote:
It's a lot easier to keep passing laws to prevent "new bullets" from being legal than it is to go after the Constitution.

Sadly this is not the case. Last March the ATF attempted to ban the M855 ammo (which is a 5.56 round that has a steel core, not the normal lead. It's used mostly in AR15s). The ATF had over 80,000 responses from the public, most of which happened the night they turned on the ability. It took down the site at one point and unsurprisingly almost all were against the ban. Due to the public outcry, the ATF ended up backing off of the ban and the ammo is still widely available.

Robert Ingrao wrote:
its time we made it so you cant buy guns from gunshows, dept stores, & pawn shops. guns should only be sold at one type of strictly controlled outlet type (maybe even govt run like booze was when i moved to WA state) - and there should be a limit to how many one can own, what types one can own and how many are manufactured every year. thats a start anyway. screw the NRA too. howver soon one will be able to print out a gun at home, so then what?

I'm with you on controlling where someone can buy guns. Not with you on how many a person can own as they all have different uses (yes, guns are designed to kill but there are guns more effective at hunting than say personal defense.) There are a few laws detailing what you can own (contrary to popular FUD), so you've already won that point.

3D printed guns disturb me. There are laws on the books about being able to create your own gun, and the rules are very specific on the hows and whats. For example you can create a rifle but you can not transfer it to anyone else. Upon your death it must be surrendered to the government for disposal. It's still able to be traced via ballistics the same way a rifle bought of the shelf is. (after the fact by comparing bullets) You can file the paperwork to get it a serial number and then (IF approved) it's a normal firearm and follows normal (even if more lax) laws. Guns do require metal to be installed on them per the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988. Sadly outside of that, there's no law saying you can't create a 3D firearm, and that's a big oops. I get you can't stop someone from downloading the plans and making it anymore than you can stop pirated music. I think that will be address as soon as 3D printers become more mainstream. It should be anyways...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 11  

…require that all privately owned guns be housed at highly regulated shooting ranges… Keep the guns away from the general public.

••

Unfortunately, the Second Amendment guarantees the right to KEEP, as well as to bear arms. So any injection of sanity would require a constitutional amendment.

Good luck with that!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2015 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 12  

"Who's calling this a false story? Could you send over a link? I don't doubt there are idiots out there that are saying that but I'd like to see their justification."
••••••••••
Those ridiculous comments were made on Instagram and Twitter.

"The "tax bullets" idea, whether intended seriously or not, breaks against the rocks of cowardice in our lawmakers. Nothing will ever be done as long as the gun lobby wields the power it does."
•••••••••
We're headed into an election year; shouldn't it be ideal timing to push the issue more than ever? Are the gun lobbyists/lawmakers really THAT overpowering?? •sigh*

-C!

P.S.
Comic Jim Jefferies breaks it down just right:

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 27 August 2015 at 11:59am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version