Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: OT: Candidates For Shakespeare Authorship (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Why would someone steal a skull? Is it a "thing" that is done?

••

Oh, Robbie, the "things" that are done...!!

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 2  

I suppose so. It just seems so...random and pointless. Some people have far too much energy and time on their hands!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 3  

Some people have far too much energy and time on their hands!

••

A neat summation of why so many bad things happen in the world. As someone I used to know put it, a guy sits around for so long with nothing to do that eventually he starts to wonder what the neighbor's kid would look like as a lamp.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 4  

Perhaps the doctor thought it would be neat to cast Shakespear's own skull as Yorick in Hamlet.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Left in place of the skull was a map to the grave of Edward DeVere.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2016 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 6  

This is all just good fun:

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

The other day, Norwegian TV marked the anniversary of Shakespeare's death by airing a documentary called SHAKESPEARE'S SECRET, in which amateur cryptologist Petter Amundsen claim that the Stratford Man didn't write the plays, but that they were part of a Rosicrucianistic conspiracy led by Francis Bacon. The works are apparantly riddled with hidden codes and messages, with clues to the whereabouts of the Arc of the Covenant (!).

It's a not a new theory, but has been met with much scepticism and ridicule (and rightfully so, I think).

However, it seems that the idea of the Stratford Man NOT being the author is being summarily dismissed along with the more outlandish claims. While in reality they are two completely seperate issues. Someone else having authored the plays doesn't necessarily imply a conspiracy, yet claims are universally regarded as conspiracy theories.

There's an op-ed in a big daily newspaper today attacking not only the theories, but any claim that someone else wrote the plays. Edward de Vere is mentioned specifically.

I'd like to quote some of it (as it's in Norwegian and you can't read it):

Shakespeare’s plays bear signs of being written by a person from the country, with knowlegde of farming and craftmanship, and who knows the regional dialect of Stratford-Upon-Avon; while at the same time he must have had enough knowledge of the upper classes to describe them convincingly, perhaps through noble patrons of his theatre company. They are clearly written by a writer living closely to the theatre and Lord Chamberlain’s Men. They are written by a person with knowledge of grammar school curriculum, but without a university background – and who could take three names from a list including John Shakespeare and name smaller parts in a play.* They are written by a man who was more concerned with analyzing and displaying human nature than promoting political agendas. They are written by a person fitting William Shakespeare’s background and biography; a man who everyone in London recognized as the author of the plays.

When someone claims that it isn’t “proven” that Shakespeare wrote his plays, it’s hard to see what these people would consider proof. A letter from Shakespeare to his wife saying: “Dear Anne, I’m now working on Romeo and Juliet.”? It’s impossible to say. What matters for experts is that much is known, and that everything they know points towards the same man.
And De Vere:
The Earl of Oxford died in 1604, twelve years before Shakespeare and before Shakespeare had written "Macbeth" and "King Lear". Supporters of this theory claim that these plays are wrongly dated and were written earlier, but research show these theories not to be credible. The Earl left behind several poems, simpler and different in style than those of William Shakespeare, which were not particularily recognized in contemporary times.
Comments? Probably nothing new under the Sun in these arguments, but I'm keen to learn more.

* In1592 John Shakespeare was named on a list of Stratford citizens who had failed toappear in Church, along with three men named Bardolph, Fluellen andCourt. These three unusual names later appear as characters in “HenryV”.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

Once more, with feeling. . .

"The Earl of Oxford died in 1604, twelve years before Shakespeare and before Shakespeare had written 'Macbeth' and 'King Lear'. Supporters of this theory claim that these plays are wrongly dated and were written earlier, but research show these theories not to be credible."

There are no records of when any of the plays were written, only of when they were first performed. Significantly, topical references vanish almost entirely from the plays first seen after the death of Edward De Vere.

"The Earl left behind several poems, simpler and different in style than those of William Shakespeare, which were not particularily recognized in contemporary times."

It was De Vere's distinctly Shakespearean style which caused John Thomas Looney (pronounced LOH-NEE, but, ah, that unfortunate spelling again!) to pick him out of the various writers of lyric poetry of those times. Looney had not previously heard of De Vere, but once he started investigating him, he found he could not go ten paces in the man's life without bumping into Shakespeare. Two of De Vere's uncles, for instance, were acknowledged influences on the writings of "Shakespeare." Portions of several plays become closely autobiographical if De Vere is assumed to be the author.* "Hamlet" especially so.

Oxford was acknowledged in his lifetime as a fine poet and playwright, and "the best for comedy." Oddly, none of his plays survive -- at least, not under his own name.

In a listing of the greatest poets of the Elizabethan Age, published after the death of Elizabeth I, De Vere was placed at the top, and "Shakespeare" was not mentioned at all.

The key to all this, as always, is that any candidate must step into the role without any need for conspiracies. In the case of De Vere, that's a perfect fit, since nothing more is required than business as usual for Tudor times.

–––––––––

* This even includes cleaning up the family history. The Veres were on the wrong side in the War of Roses, and their prominent figures are prominently missing from the plays covering those events.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Byrne wrote:
In a listing of the greatest poets of the Elizabethan Age, published after the death of Elizabeth I

JB, do you happen to know the publication you are referring to? I had not known about this at all and wanted to give it a look. That is a very striking omission. Thanks in advance.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

Great thread! Thanks again for the book JB. It was a
fascinating read; however, right now, I can't find it.
My daughter must have placed it somewhere...

I am seriously considering the 900 page monster, though,
and look forward to reading about the other guy
mentioned a couple pages back. I forget his name right
now.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2016 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

Roger Manners
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member