Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Why do you enjoy comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2015 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne, Paul Smith and Michael Golden were the reason I got hooked on comics. They created worlds that were both fantastic and believable to me. Visually stunning artwork that always would make me want to pick up the pencil and draw.  Their depiction of the superheroes were based in reality but had a style that was uniquely their own and just so darn cool to look at. Byrne's Wolverine, Smith's Colossus and Golden's Doctor Strange - that is what comics are to me! Who needs words when you have such pretty pictures to look at. That is my sweet spot stirring my nostalgic feelings for the VISUAL medium of comics.

My LCS is really wanting JB to draw another superhero book so they can get to see me again : )

Edited by Steve Gumm on 06 October 2015 at 8:57pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 2  

My LCS is really wanting JB to draw another superhero book so they can get to see me again : )

••

How about if I make the Enterprise bridge crew start wearing capes?

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Just do one of those "primitive" worlds where the landing party has to fit in with the population while getting some mission completed ala "Patterns of Force". But on the planet there is a super hero society. =)

David Lowe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 4  

As a few people have said up-thread, I just love the synthesis of words and pictures and the way that great comics and comic strips can play with this combination to give something that can't be achieved as well with either the words or the pictures alone. So I'm definitely in the "loving the medium" camp rather than loving specific characters, genres, universes or companies etc.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 5  

I should have specified, but I do enjoy the comics created before the 1990's much more than anything after that point. And modern comics are little more than noticing how printing advancements have lead to such incredible detail in art. The medium was a great blend of inexpensive adventure. A good comic can deliver a great story with mind blowing art.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

I do, indeed, enjoy comics -- but when I say that, I mean the art form, the concept, the format. I do NOT mean what happens to be passing itself off as comics these days.

JB, I'll have to piggyback on that statement… comics from my youth excited me much more than today's books.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well my reasons have changed over the years. When I was a kid it was because they took me to far away worlds. Not just within the comics either. It made me dream about what it was I wanted to do with my life. Now that I am older.  My reasons are like JB's, I love the art form. I love seeing the craftsmanship at work.  If I could afford it I would snap up every Artist edition IDW put out. Along with any other kinds of books that are similar to that.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

The art and the writing.  To me comics are the perfect combination of pictures and words to tell a story. I also love reading about how comics were made which is one of the big draws of this forum. I love reading JB's stories of making comics. I got a Modern Masters in the mail today, the Alan Davis issue, and was telling my girlfriend what it was about and she didn't get it. I said, "But he's one of my favorite artists!" She said,"You say that about twenty different people." I said, "Because it's true!" 

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

"As I reader, I can linger on a panel at my own pace, go backward and forward in the story, and read multiple times, enjoying the artwork."

-----

Ditto. The major advantage comics have over television or movies is that I get to choose the pace of the story. It's just so much more relaxing knowing that the page isn't going to turn until I'm good and ready.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2015 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 10  

My reasons are similar to many already posted here - so rather than echo those very good comments, I'll add my own.

I like the "unlimited budgets" of comic art (in a sense). Not sure the 60s Batman TV series could have afforded to send Adam West and Burt Ward around the globe - but the 60s comics did.

I like the inspiration. Superman, Spider-Man and so many others are inspiring.

It was also (I don't really know the prices now) value for money. SUPERMAN VOL. 2 #9 (1987) was about 75p. I've re-read it many times over the years. Good value for money. A Blu-ray can be fifteen quid or more. Cinema tickets are expensive (especially if your nieces/nephews want popcorn!). Concert tickets are expensive. Books can be ten quid or more. Using the above issue as an example, 75p for a comic that has given me 25+ years of pleasure is great value for money.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version