Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Irresistable Forces Meeting Immovable Objects (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 1  

I remember being shocked when I saw that Hulk v Superman. It was actually a let-down for me because I realized that Superman was just off-the charts in power levels. 

In the earlier Spider Man and Superman crossover I remember in the story that Superman said he could "juggle seven planets". Even as a kid in the 70's I can still remember rolling my eyes in disbelief. It was too much for me and my suspension of disbelief just wouldn't accept that whopper.     
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 2  

The Silver Age Superman had "infinite" power -- which created some problems in terms of keeping him at the top of the pyramid. After all, it meant that Supergirl, Krypto, Beppo ---- anyone from Krypton was exactly as powerful as Superman. Even as a kid I felt there should be some sense of scale to it. I mean, an average teenage girl is not as strong as an average adult male, right?
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 3  

Not sure of the other outcomes. But I think Juggernaut VS Destroyer would come down to Cyttorak vs. Odin. I know that Dr. Strange calls upon him in some of his spells but I don't really know Cyttorak's power levels. Is he more powerful than Odin?

I really want and need to see this battle - for visual reasons as much as the concept of it all.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 4  

Maybe a future commission in the works Robbie. I'd love to see that too!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 5  

On a wider note, this is sort of why I am so opposed to reboots, Year One retellings, relaunches, etc.

There seem to be so many stories that haven't been told. I mean, have the FF ever battled Juggernaut? Has a magical character like Dormammu visited the Negative Zone? How would the Defenders handle Galactus if the FF were away?

I'd rather see something new, like Juggernaut VS Destroyer, than yet another "untold tale" or Year One retelling.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 6  

I think in a Thor comic it was discovered that Asgard was actually floating in the Negative Zone. Bifrost I think was destroyed and Asgard was unhinged kind of floating around. 

I actually liked that idea cause it gave a sense of interconnectedness to the MU. But I am so unsure of the full details now. It's been over 20 years since I read it.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 7  

Interesting. :)

There's a few Asgardian stories I'd like to see. Odin VS Dormammu would be one of those dream stories for me!

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 8  

I think it was around Thor #402 or #403. Not positive. Some pretty cool battles too. I think there's a face-off with Annihilus going full-force against Odin with his Cosmic Control Rod. These were some of the last comics I read before I stopped collecting.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 9  

I never tire of seeing Odin battle...anyone. I'd love to see him in Nightmare's realm. Or going toe-to-toe with Abomination. 

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

One of my favorite stories with Dormammu and Nightmare was in a What If Baron Mordo became the Sorcerer Supreme? It was really good artwork. The backgrounds for alternate dimensions were well done. 

In it Dr. Strange has to somehow find a way to defeat Baron Mordo, Dormammu and Nightmare, even though Dr. Strange has not been trained in the Mystic Arts by the Ancient One. It was a pretty epic story.

I find Dr. Strange to be one of those heroes that are subtly epic -- and on a cosmic scale. Like Dormammu he's a Sorcerer Supreme of an entire universe. That requires a lot of power to do that so he is able to take on some very powerful entities. 

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2015 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB: "Even as a kid I felt there should be some sense of scale to it. I mean, an average teenage girl is not as strong as an average adult male, right?"

Makes sense to me.

I think it's similar to your reasoning with Thor vs Superman. Since magic effectively negates his powers, hitting Superman with Thor's hammer would be like one very strong guy hitting another very strong guy with a sledgehammer.

In the case of the two "super people" probably the larger one would be stronger...because an average teenage girl is not as strong as an average adult male. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2015 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 12  

Here's an old fashioned throw down I would pay to see ;
Titus vs Doomsday

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version