Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: There’s Only One B in Boo! - 10.10.2015 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Chatting with buddy (and Forum member) Paul Gibney the other day, and he said he thought the face on this piece was very "Seventies." Looking, he meant, much like the faces I drew back when I was getting into The Biz.

Which only makes sense, of course. As I worked on this piece, I had my Neal Adams WITCHING HOUR page at my elbow, for reference, and I could not help but channel Neal a little bit, just as I was trying so hard to do back when my career was starting.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If the fire's out, it's out. One has not choice but to and of course should respect that.

But this is what makes me so very sad...

QUOTE:
Plus they let me play in "universes" that no longer exist.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Chatting with buddy (and Forum member) Paul Gibney the other day, and he said he thought the face on this piece was very "Seventies." Looking, he meant, much like the faces I drew back when I was getting into The Biz."

Exactly what I noticed and was about to say : the cheeks are very  Doomsday+1like !
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Beautiful commission.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Funniest commission title ever.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Very nice !
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB wrote: "The reality is, after forty years, the fire has gone out. When it comes to drawing little pictures in little boxes, nothing really calls to me any more. The commission pieces satisfy the artist in me much more, now, than comics. Plus they let me play in "universes" that no longer exist. And let's face it, creator-owned projects notwithstanding, the sheer joy of comics, for me, was being able to play with those wonderful toys that had entertained me as a child."

---------

If that fire does indeed remain extinguished, I just want to say Thank You for the 40 years of memories and enjoyment it provided. I can look back directly to that old copy of Doomsday +1 that I found when it was new and say that was my introduction to comic books and being impressed with a particular art style. I've bought hundreds of other comics through the years and become a fan of dozens more artists in that time, but as I became aware of the names of the creators, there has always been one I've sought out over all others.
I know we've butted-heads here on occasion, usually because I've phrased what was meant to be a compliment improperly, or not made the context of a statement clear or some other misunderstanding, but I have been and always will be a fan and admirer. And I mean that sincerely.
From that first Doomsday +1, through the X-Men, Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Superman, OMAC, Next Men and everything else, thank you for drawing those pictures in those boxes and in many cases filling them with words as well. And if Star Trek New Visions is to be it for the foreseeable future,then Thank You again for making the Star Trek that I grew up with and the one that I love live again.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 October 2015 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks. Good to see some people GET it. (Meanwhile, the "John Byrne Draws" site, while continuing to ignore our Forum Decorum, took less than a day to wring a Big Bad Byrne story out of this.)

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2015 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, feel the same way as Mike.  I can't think of a single creator - with the except of Kirby - who's work I have gone back to as many times.  Thanks for all the memories. 

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Stunning commission JB. You sure nailed the horror vibe.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

(Meanwhile, the "John Byrne Draws" site, while continuing to ignore our Forum Decorum, took less than a day to wring a Big Bad Byrne story out of this.)

---

Obviously every JB fan would love to see some new story work. But we are not entitled to one damn thing. You don't owe us anything.

40 years doing comics is a staggering number. I'd like to see the writer of John Byrne Draws do ANYTHING for 40 years....and not feel the need to step away once in awhile.

If you you ever work on more comics, I'll be there. But in the meantime I am so glad (and lucky) you post your commissions for all to enjoy.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 13 October 2015 at 11:06pm

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2015 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB, I know you say you drew from Neal Adams' Cynthia, but I'm seeing
some Frank Thorne in this drawing. Not sure I can put my finger on
why. Beautiful work, either way!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version