Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: What’s Jose Luis Garcia Lopez’s best work? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 1  

One particular issue, has Superman flying/dancing in the sky with Lois, which is particularly nice (doesn't JB own that page?)

I own the page which immediately precedes that one, with Superman and Lois dining in a rooftop restaurant.

The thing that always struck me as odd about that page is that Superman is on a date with Lois -- as Superman! Where's the whole "I must have a secret identity to protect my loved ones" concept? Not to mention, why wouldn't he throw on a suit and tie (especailly since he expresses concern that everyone is "staring" at them. Well, duh!)

The page, as with the rest of the story, is beautifully drawn, but the underlying concepts point up so much of what was wrong with DC and Superman at the time.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hilsmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 2  

I think the problem I've had is that I haven't seen all that much of Jose's work, and that close study suggests to me he's got some awfully generic inking from time to time in the past. The New Teen Titans stories I mentioned above have a wealth of signs of offhand virtuosity the like of which is rarely seen in comics -- anatomy, facial expressions, an absolute mastery of drawing hands in motion and hand gestures (cutting a piece of steak in a swank restaurant, for example) but Thangal's inks have often been hit and miss with me in general. One of the reasons Terry Austin became one of my favorite inkers is that Terry always seemed to know not just his own limitations, but the limitations of newsprint printing in particular. Thangal's inks clearly, and not infrequently, drop out lines and lose detail in reproduction, and this is true regardless of the printing methods used or the pencilers he inks. Most of the time Romeo gets it right over Perez's pencils, but Perez still tops my list of the Most Oppressed Pencilers Of All Time when it comes to his inkers.

If anyone has scans of any of Jose's pencils, or work that he's inked himself, I'd appreciate a post or two on this thread. Trying to get a fix on the man behind the mask. I just remembered that JB and Jose collaborated on that Titans Annual, and am trying to track it down. Thanks for the responses, everyone. Issue numbers are always deeply appreciated.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dale Gonsalves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 3  

Ron Chevrier wrote:
      One particular issue, has Superman flying/dancing in the sky with Lois, which is particularly nice 

I got that isue when I was a wee lad and thought from then that Jose Luis Garcia Lopez was the best Superman artist ever, my thoughts on that has not changed, I have ammended it to he's the best artist currently.

I loved Curt Swan's art on Superman but thought it was too 60'sh. JL drawing Supes was it for me, imagine my distress when he would only pop up now and then to do an issue.

(edited to expand on my ramblings)

Edited by Dale Gonsalves on 20 March 2005 at 8:46am

Dale Gonsalves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 4  

http://www.geocities.com/rob_ff5/garcialopez.jpg

Did a little search online and found this at http://www.geocities.com/rob_ff5/garcialopez.jpg

Edited by Dale Gonsalves on 20 March 2005 at 8:53am

Dale Gonsalves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 5  

Found this one at http://www.comicsfun.com/gallery/covers/Tarzan250c.jpg

Dale Gonsalves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 6  

Some nice art from JL at http://www.theartistschoice.com/glopezcommercial.htm

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 7  

Nice Lopez work

Edited by Kevin Pierce on 20 March 2005 at 8:10pm
Back to Top profile | search

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 8  

John Byrne wrote:
One particular issue, has Superman flying/dancing in the sky with Lois, which is particularly nice (doesn't JB own that page?)

I own the page which immediately precedes that one, with Superman and Lois dining in a rooftop restaurant.

The thing that always struck me as odd about that page is that Superman is on a date with Lois -- as Superman! Where's the whole "I must have a secret identity to protect my loved ones" concept? Not to mention, why wouldn't he throw on a suit and tie (especailly since he expresses concern that everyone is "staring" at them. Well, duh!)

The page, as with the rest of the story, is beautifully drawn, but the underlying concepts point up so much of what was wrong with DC and Superman at the time.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

Kevin Pierce wrote:
Nice Lopez work

The cover of Detective 452 is by Ernie "Chua" Chan, not Garcia-Lopez

Dusty Abell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 10  

DOCTOR STRANGE FATE, DC's Amalgam title that was inked by Kevin Nowlan. I think Lopez is hands down one of the best comic book illustrators ever, and Nowlan's contribution does something that Jose's inks don't manage to do in my opinion, and thats really giving the art a crisp finished look. I really wish the road to perdition work had been inked by Kevin. Amazing artist that can simply draw anything well. First book I ever got by Lopez was his Superman Wonder Woman team up tabloid sized book back in the mid 70's when i was a kid.   

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

Deadman and Atari Force top my favorite list, but i'm also VERY fond of the Wonder Woman covers he did durring JB's run.

Andrew Hilsmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2005 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm afraid I'm largely unfamiliar with JB's Wonder Woman run (it was during my long weekend away from comics, you see) but could anyone give me a rough idea of which issue numbers Jose did the covers for? I'm certain this lovely cover is one of them, but the reproductions online often aren't large enough to read Jose's signature.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version