Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Paris... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 1  

President François Hollande has declared this an "act of war" by ISIS. I hope other governments join in this, making it literally so.

Terrorists strike with nearly complete immunity in large part because they have no centers against which organized military strikes can be launched. Occasional random killings of "leaders" of terrorist cells has little to no effect. It is time the nations of the world, almost all of whom are at hazard from radical sects, made it clear to those nations that harbor such terrorist cells that doing so is an act of war, even if obliquely, and the responses of attacked nations will be wartime responses.

Back to Top profile | search

Richard Franck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 2  

I feel sad for my fallen fellow french countrymen, and I also feel disgusted with such a cowardice ...
I know there is war going on in the country where these cowards come from, but France has already suffered and fought for values such as Liberty and Freedom in the past, we will not let them win by closing our doors and Windows and locking ourselves in the fear ...
Those guys have not understood what Republic is !
The hard part is to explain these horror to my 2 children ...
It will not prevent me from going to see 5 Fingers Death Punch and Foo Fighters next week !!! unless it is canceled ...

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 3  

Despicable cowardly scum.The trouble is the enemy is within.This is why we need to control our borders in Europe,it`s not racist,it`s common sense.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

" It is time the nations of the world, almost all of whom are at hazard from radical sects, made it clear to those nations that harbor such terrorist cells that doing so is an act of war, even if obliquely, and the responses of attacked nations will be wartime responses."

I've heard some people in Spain say that in a few days Westeners will be back in our Disneyland lives. I tend to agree.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

I was pretty upset until the end of Stephen COlbert's show, where he remarked on the tragedy that had been unfolding while they were taping their show.  Then the next show came on, which began with James Corden talking about... the Oregon shooting tragedy.  It was a repeat.  Now I'm just numb.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

If Islam is supposedly a religion of peace, shouldn't Islamic extremists be extremely peaceful?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

If Islam is supposedly a religion of peace, shouldn't Islamic extremists be extremely peaceful?
-----------------------------
Maybe... Unless the religion of peace bit refers to the core of the religion and the extreme bit refers to the opposite of the core, you know, like the dictionary meaning of the word extreme, meaning the furthest possible point from the core. And then the extremists bit would mean the opposite of peace. Which is what we've got.

Funnily enough.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2015 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

James Reese wrote:
Hours before the attack Obama said ISIS was contained. I guess he thought those 50 guys had it under control.

ISIL didn't take Paris.  They gained nothing from this save mayhem.  Same for the Russian airliner, which is looking like a bomb more and more - as horrid as both of these attacks are, they're just craziness.  It's not a victory in any strategic, material or operational sense.  It wasn't an air strike; any of us with ten crazy friends could pull off the same thing.

Now, if he'd said that and then today they'd recaptured Sinjar (or Baghdad!), that would be much more sobering.

Edited by Kevin Hagerman on 15 November 2015 at 9:59am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2015 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 9  

Don`t forget the Charlie Hebdo attacks in January and the thwarted attack on a train a couple of months ago(thwarted by holidaying U.S. military and members of the public),France has been experiencing these attacks all year.I saw some `expert` on the news saying such an attack was unlikely in the U.K. as it`s much harder to get hold of guns here,he forgot to mention that the majority of casualties were caused by suicide belts detonated in a crowded concert hall.These devices are relatively easy to construct.

Edited by Bill Collins on 15 November 2015 at 5:35am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 November 2015 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 10  

•••

I find myself remembering THE FORBIN PROJECT, in which a supercomputer takes over the world. Having done so, it announces that it will now bring peace. It is, it says, up to humanity whether this is the peace of prosperity, or the peace of unburied death.

I also find myself more than usually concerned about the upcoming Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC.

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2015 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 11  

I can't believe someone tried to defend Obama's idiotic comment. I would expect Hillary to throw this administration to the wolves on ISIS very soon and the GOP candidates to up theirs.

The timing of this statement couldn't have been worse. It would be like saying dirigibles are the best way to travel the day the Hidenberg exploded.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2015 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 12  

I just read that one bomber was stopped from entering the football match,and detonated killing himself and one bystander,just think if he`d got in,the packed theatre was bad enough.We now have Christmas approaching,with cities crowded with shoppers.It`s also now emerging that at least one terrorist came into Europe via Greece as a refugee last month...how many more have we let in?

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version