Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Paris... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 1  

Presidents sometimes get ahead of things ... 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 2  

I just read that one bomber was stopped from entering the football match,and detonated killing himself and one bystander,
---------------------------------------------------
And it's said that the man who stopped him getting in and causing more death was himself a Muslim. It'd be nice to see this reported more widely to stop some of the anti-Muslim rhetoric that is flaring up again.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 3  

I just read that one bomber was stopped from entering the football match,and detonated killing himself and one bystander,

---------------------------------------------------

And it's said that the man who stopped him getting in and causing more death was himself a Muslim. It'd be nice to see this reported more widely to stop some of the anti-Muslim rhetoric that is flaring up again.

••

Maybe not: SNOPES

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 4  

Is there some policy or action that you believe Obama should be pursuing that would have prevented this terrorist attack in Paris?

I'm not a swami, so I have no idea what if anything the US is doing to stop ISIS in Europe. Do we have Black Ops guys (CIA, Seals, etc.) in Europe assassinating people we suspect are affiliated with ISIS? If so, we should be more aggressive about killing these people. If not, we should start.

We should also work with other nations (like the Russians) to destroy ISIS in the Middle East as well through Clandestine operations around the world. We need a coalition of Allies to do this. This Administration was very lax about "J/V team" ISIS for a very long time.

Why is Obama adamant about bringing these refugees into the United States? How are they being vetted? Can we ensure that no terrorists are masquerading as refugees? Say we let 10,0000 refugees in and 10 of them are ISIS, is it worth the risk for the potential damage these people can cause? I don't think so. At least 23 Governors agree with me (its expanding, so it may be more). ISIS said they were going to attack the west from within earlier this year and they did. They said yesterday that they will hit Washington DC next. Obama referred to the Paris attacks as a "setback" yesterday. Would he refer to an attack on Washington DC the same way?

Side note: The Bern said that Climate Change is "directly" responsible for ISIS. Does anybody on here actually believe this to be an accurate statement? I was under the impression that poor foreign policy choices by the United States led directly to the creation of ISIS (especially George W Bush's).

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 5  

One more thing: The problem with stopping terrorist attacks is your intelligence has to be right 100% of the time to be effective and the terrorists only have to be right once to do major damage. Acting with caution, dedication and resolve are what we need to effective and it needs to be absolute.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 6  

I read earlier that the mother of one of the scumbags was a good boy,and that maybe he was `stressed`...you couldn`t make it up(There`s none so blind as those who will not see)
P.S. i`ve seen no anti-muslim rhetoric,everyone seems to be agreed that it`s the act of a minority.

Edited by Bill Collins on 17 November 2015 at 9:45am

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 7  

P.S. i`ve seen no anti-muslim rhetoric,everyone seems to be agreed that it`s the act of a minority.

You must not be on Facebook.

I've been unfollowing people (some of whom I've known for over 20 years) in droves these past few days. Nothing brings out the bottom-feeders like a tragedy and the ugly, xenophobic, racist garbage they spew actually twists my stomach.    

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 8  

Yes,i`m on Facebook,not seen any,i must have decent friends!

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 9  

The comments section on any website even remotely political will show you a wide variety of hateful, anti Muslim rhetoric.  It can crush your soul to know you are surrounded by so many deeply mistrusting, dark hearted people.  

I understand the sensation of fear.  But too many of these people are simply riding the wave that has allowed them to say out loud what they have always wanted.

One of America's biggest threats right now is the small but very vocal (and politically influential) group of 'Americans' who are simply sick and tired of sharing this country with 'others'.   The election of President Obama lit their fuse and they have been pushing harder and harder non stop to shape our reality around their fears.  The hardest thing in the world will be for 'us' to resist the easy feelings of hatred and lean on each other in a way we are probably afraid to do.  

It's REALLY way past time for the world community to shed old fears and prejudices.  We have got to get away from our own little corners of reality, guarded by our individual fears and feelings about people who aren't like you and try to wrap our heads around a sense of acceptance.  

Its too easy to feel hate towards the 'other' person.  And its even easier to express those feelings to the world.

If we act according to those feelings and begin to shape our policies specifically to segregate Muslim peoples from the rest of the world community, then I think ISIS would consider that "Mission Accomplished".  

Don't they really WANT to see all Muslims suffer for they're actions?  It gives them the tools to recruit.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 17 November 2015 at 11:13am

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

The only hateful rhetoric I've seen on Facebook has been from the Republican presidential candidates, all of whom I follow. My friends list is pretty well-curated at this point, I guess, although I am surprised there aren't more racist crackpots among the Hollywood actor demographic (a few homophobes reared their heads in June). 

The liberal sanctimony about ignoring Beiruit is getting pretty obnoxious. In my defense, I only frenchified my profile pic because the tricolour on disco-era Boba Fett was too tasteless to pass up. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Germany vs Netherlands football match called off today after a 'concrete security threat' made against Hannover, where the game was to be held.

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

BILL COLLINS: P.S. i`ve seen no anti-muslim rhetoric,everyone seems to be agreed that it`s the act of a minority.

I would say that this qualifies: More Governors Seek to Ban Syrian Refugees After Paris Massacre

Sadly, this is just bigotry for the sake of meaningless posturing:  States Can't Ban Syrian Refugees But They Could Muck Up The Process

Finally, a relevant tweet from @owillis:  "if only we had a seasonally appropriate story about middle eastern people seeking refuge being turned away by the heartless"

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version