Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Paris... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sadly, this is just bigotry for the sake of meaningless posturing.

Is it? I thought it was national security. Again, how are these people being vetted? What steps are being taken to ensure that no terrorists are masquerading as refugees?

Edited to add: The number of refugees Obama wants to bring in here is 10,0000 in FY16 alone. In FY17, the number jumps up to 100,000. That's a huge number of people, much more than in previous years (by many thousands -2,000 total here now). How do you realistically vet these people in a complete manner with current resources?

Edited by James Reese on 17 November 2015 at 2:42pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Neil Lindholm wrote:
Conrad Black: France must lead the way in destroying ISIL

Excellent editorial about what should be done in the Middle East.

Excellent?  I'd say filled with lots of tough talk and precious little specific ideas about what to do.  ISIL should be "exterminated"?  Wow, what a bold, innovative idea!  I suppose it would be too much trouble for Black to offer any ideas how we go about doing that.  It's quite easy to talk tough and pontificate in vague generalities, and criticize those in power for "not doing enough."  Absent concrete suggestions for what should be done differently, all that is just demagoguery designed to exploit a tragedy for political gain, which is shameful. 

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

James Reese wrote:
I'm not a swami, so I have no idea what if anything the US is doing to stop ISIS in Europe. Do we have Black Ops guys (CIA, Seals, etc.) in Europe assassinating people we suspect are affiliated with ISIS? If so, we should be more aggressive about killing these people. If not, we should start.

If you have no idea what is being done, how can you be so quick to criticize what is being done?  How was the administration "lax" about ISIS?  That implies not doing things they should have been doing.  If so, what should they have done that they didn't do?

By the way, are you suggesting the CIA go out and kill people simply suspected of being affiliated with terrorist organizations? 

QUOTE:
Side note: The Bern said that Climate Change is "directly" responsible for ISIS.

Actually, what he said is climate change is "directly related" to the growth of terrorism.  I think that's an extreme overstatement on his part, but it's not inaccurate to say that extreme climate conditions have contributed to resource scarcity which may exacerbate motivations for terrorism. 

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

By the way, are you suggesting the CIA go out and kill people simply suspected of being affiliated with terrorist organizations?

Yes. Should be right up President Drone Strike's alley. I'd actually be surprised if we weren't doing it already, but I have no idea since it would be Black Ops stuff that the public wouldn't know about since it would be classified.

Edited to add: World Leaders have to make tough decisions that result in the deaths of civilians in order to save lives of their citizens. The most extreme example of this I can think of is when President Truman dropped the atomic bombs on Japan. 70,000 civilians died, but hundreds of thousands of Allied lives* were saved by eliminating a lengthy and deadly invasion of Japan. Obama orders drone strikes and causes civilian deaths when bombs hit non-military targets. So, the killing of people that are likely either terrorists or in cohoots with terrorists via Black Ops operations, to me are as justifiable as some military actions by world leaders in the past.

* Truman said a million lives in an interview years later.

Edited by James Reese on 17 November 2015 at 3:56pm

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

How was the administration "lax" about ISIS? That implies not doing things they should have been doing. If so, what should they have done that they didn't do?

I answered this already. Build up a coalition of Allies to destroy ISIS in the ME and via clandestine operations around the world in tandem with said Allies. Neither of these things happened.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

James Reese wrote:
I answered this already. Build up a coalition of Allies to destroy ISIS in the ME and via clandestine operations around the world in tandem with said Allies. Neither of these things happened.

Regarding clandestine operations, you just said in your previous post that "I'd be surprised if we weren't doing it already."  Now you say it hasn't happened.

"Build a coalition of allies to destroy ISIS."  How do we know Obama hasn't been trying to do that?  How do we know exactly what is being done behind the scenes?  And once you build the coalition, how exactly do you "destroy ISIS"?  I doubt the CIA is capable of hunting down and killing every single suspected terrorist out there in the world, even if we were willing to pursue that morally dubious strategy.  There is not some simple solution that Obama is refusing to pursue.

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

If we don't have Allies in this, how can we do Clandestine operations with them?

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

Never said it would be easy. Obviously our current course isn't working, but you must be satisfied with Obama's actions in this matter given your defense of him.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 9  

Mainly, I'm disgusted that so many are trying to use these events to gain political advantage, offering vague criticisms and tough talk about doing things differently, without offering much in the way of specifics about what should be done differently.  When 911 happened, I don't recall there being a concerted effort on the part of Democrats to blame President Bush for what happened in the manner we are seeing now.

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

Democrats are criticizing Obama on this. Diane Feinstein criticized him in today's Washington Post saying ISIS is not contained and is growing in Syria and Iraq.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

I heard Mark Levin bring up Feinstein yesterday. I like how she all of a sudden has credibility among rightists. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2015 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

Containing ISIS is like trying to herd cats. This is not a nation, neatly contained in one place. This is an ideology, spread all around the World.

Welcome to the Future.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version