Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Avengers vs. FF vs. X-Men (#1) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
JBF Microes Master

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

I would have to go with the Avengers, as they have the Hulk.  He fought both of the other teams on his own, and did a fair job against each of them.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

Avengers - Hulk, Thor and Iron Man are a tough combo to beat in terms of raw power, especially given the power limits most of the FF and X-Men characters were under in their respective first issues.
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well, if Professor X went "full throttle" then he could single-handedly stop all of the other teams and/or know what they were doing as they thought it.  So that wouldn't be fair.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

Does Xavier have mass crowd control? I thought only single individuals.

My vote goes to Avengers due to their sheer power.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Earth's Mightiest Heroes. 'Nuff said!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

Well, since we *all* know Professor X and Magneto were best buddies who were just having a minor disagreement in X-Men #1, I'll have to give it to the X-Men starring Uncle Magneto.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2015 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 7  

The Avengers. Their lack of experience in team play at the time compared to the other two is an issue, but the sheer power of Thor and Hulk pretty much guarantees them the win.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2015 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 8  

"Teams as presented in issue number 1" - the X-Men. Specifically Professor Xavier. Once he mind controls Thor and the Hulk, half the Avengers are out, and I don't think the FF puts up much of a fight against that quasi-Avengers/X-Men group.

Discussion: Any comment about how surly and uncooperative the Hulk was can probably be echoed for the Thing; he was NOT a happy, team oriented member at the beginning.

JB: "Problem with these superhero battles is that nobody ever seems to let go full throttle. If they did, things would go quiet very quickly." This is why no Justice League story was ever written realistically. Superman, Wonder Woman, J'onn J'onzz, and Flash all have super speed; Green Lantern has a power ring. Similarly, if Professor Xavier just induced a mindless rage in his opponents so that they start attacking each other with no Comics Code limitations, that would end pretty quickly, I suspect.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 November 2015 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 9  

Professor X is powerful, but I very much doubt he could pull any of his mental whammies on Thor. Thor's is, after all, a mind of a totally different order from that of humans.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2015 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10  

"Your mind tricks have no effect on the Son Of Odin!"

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2015 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 11  

Professor X might not be able to affect Thor but he could prod Hulk into attacking Thor, thus tying up both of them (at least temporarily). The X-Men might stand a better chance against the Avengers than it might seem, but Thor IS a huge tactical problem.

As for the FF, that's a tough one. Ben might be able to stand up to the Hulk but he couldn't beat Thor--and he wouldn't last long at all against both together. Let's figure he's fighting ONLY the Hulk, which itself is a bad bet at this point. If Sue was able to block Thor's access to Mjolnir even briefly, that would put him out of the fight. Johnny could keep Ant-Man and Wasp (and their ant armies) busy. That would leave Reed needing a gadget to shut down Iron Man's armor--like a miniature EMP--but then, does Reed know that the armor keeps Tony alive?

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2015 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 12  

I agree about the "not going full throttle" thing, too. Mostly I chalk that up to the heroes not really wanting to go all out, because they know they could easily end up killing each other or causing some horrifying collateral damage (and fatalities among bystanders).

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version