Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Obama says Refugees are like Pilgrims (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2015 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 1  

JB, my job involves, in part, interviewing a good number of people each week, and I have in front of me a form in which, in pertinent part, they have indicated present address, place of birth, and whether they are US citizens.  So as I often have occasion to say, "belated congratulations."
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 2  

Peter Martin, we can debate whether Sessions was correct or incorrect in saying that 1965 law helped produce an unprecedented wave of immigration--I don't think an outlier spike disproves the existence of a wave, but it's pretty hard to look at the consistent numbers for the past ten years at least and say they are part of a "declining trend."  As a general trend, the United States has not been cutting back on legal immigration, and for the most part, there hasn't even been a public debate about doing so.  Rather, the debate has focused on what, if anything, we will do about enforcing existing immigration laws (border security, etc.), and what we should do about those who entered the country, and remain here in violation of those laws.    The recent migrations brought about in part by the conflicts ravaging the middle east have now added to that mix debate about the pros and cons of accepting "refugees," and whether and how it can be accomplished consistent with security concerns.

What does Canada have to do with it?  All conversations have contexts.  As you were apparently responding to me, I was, as I made clear, responding to the suggestion that the United States has a "horrible record on refugees and immigration."  So the natural question is horrible compared to whom?  Two natural points of comparison are our closest neighbors, Mexico and Canada.  [I don't purport to know the answer to the question].  Of course, if I now understand that it wasn't your intention to weigh in in support of the point I was responding to, but rather to make other points, perhaps the question might be better put to someone else.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 November 2015 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 3  

JB, my job involves, in part, interviewing a good number of people each week, and I have in front of me a form in which, in pertinent part, they have indicated present address, place of birth, and whether they are US citizens. So as I often have occasion to say, "belated congratulations."

••

When I went in for my citizenship exam, the young woman administering the test was hugely pregnant. "I see you have one doing it the easy way," I said. Fortunately, she laughed.

BTW, my memory failed me! I became a citizen in 1988.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2015 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

Peter Martin, we can debate whether Sessions was correct or incorrect in saying that 1965 law helped produce an unprecedented wave of immigration--I don't think an outlier spike disproves the existence of a wave, but it's pretty hard to look at the consistent numbers for the past ten years at least and say they are part of a "declining trend." 
--------------------------------------------------------
The US population has grown from 295 million to 322 million in the last 10 years (i.e. growth of around 9%).

The global population over that time has gone from around 6.5 billion to 7.3 billion (i.e. growth of 12%).

If we say that the two highest US immigration years were back-to-back in the 90s and that the number of immigrants has stayed consistent for the last 10 years against a growing US and world population, I don't see it as a growing trend. It looks the opposite to me, shrinking proportionately as the overall number of people rises.

Edited by Peter Martin on 28 November 2015 at 3:01pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2015 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

What does Canada have to do with it?  All conversations have contexts.  As you were apparently responding to me, I was, as I made clear, responding to the suggestion that the United States has a "horrible record on refugees and immigration." 
---------------------------------------------
A reasonable point. Googling it, it seems that Canada has an annual intake of around 250,000 immigrants versus a population of 35 million.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version