Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Writer For John Byrne’s Art (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

Roger Stern. He respects, pays homage to, and can ever-so-gently "modernize" classic characters much the same way JB did.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 2  

Stern & Byrne always seem on the same page and really seem to gel.  I hesitate to say Claremont since I've discovered that Byrne did all the X-MEN plotting I really liked, but I also have fond memories of their time on MARVEL TEAM-UP, which I assume WAS Claremont.  That one SECRET ORIGINS of the Doom Patrol written bby Paul Kupperberg was really good.

But what really sticks out for me was that David Michelinie AVENGERS arc!  That's one my favorites and I think it's somewhat of an unsung classic.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 2:47am | IP Logged | 3  

I say Roger Stern. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 4  

I loved that Michelinie Avengers run too, Eric. In fact, it was Avengers #181 that made me really get into comics as a kid. I was already a Spider-Man fan and had been reading comics for a bit and had several Spider-Man comics, but that issue of Avengers really grabbed me and made me want to know everything about the Avengers. At the time I didn't know anything about the creators but I knew I really loved the art, which was as I'd find out later when I started paying attention to the credits, John Byrne. (Nice George Perez and Terry Austin cover too!)

It's a real shame that writers like Michelinie and Stern aren't getting much work these days because they were two of the finest writers Marvel had in the seventies and eighties respectively. Stern is still really good but I haven't seen anything from Michelinie in ages. I think DC (or Marvel) would benefit greatly from hiring either of those guys, but especially Roger Stern who is one of my favorite comic writers ever. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 06 February 2016 at 9:54am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 5  

Most of my favorite writers from the 70's and 80's are gone, one way or another.  A lot of the good ones moved into television or writing novels, while others seem to have quietly retired.  (I can't find any info on what happened to Doug Moench or Don McGregor.)  DC seems to rely on all these British writers who feel the need to destory what came before to justify their career choice, while Marvel hires all these new writers and gives them carte blanche to do whatever they want to these national icons.

Michelinie and Stern are great!  So is Len Wein--one of the best!  Though I see his name here and there, none of it is a regular series.  It still angers me to think how little Steve Gerber was allowed to do his last few years.  I don't recall Byrne working with Wein or Gerber--did he?  I would have liked to have seen that.

Oh, and Michelinie and Byrne did the Scott Lang ANT-MAN 2-parter, right?  Another fun little favorite.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 06 February 2016 at 3:49am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 6  

Len Wein is actually writing the new Swamp Thing book for DC. I don't think JB ever worked with Wein or Gerber (although he may have done some covers for titles they wrote). And I had to Google the Michelinie and Byrne Ant-Man story you mentioned and figured out I have a hole in my JB collection that must now be filled, so thank you for that, sir. I'm looking forward to finding those issues of Marvel Premiere and reading that!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm with Wallace. I'd love to see a JB and Alan Davis collaboration. Both
have the same sensibilities on what comics should be and they both
love a good time travel story. It would be interesting to see JB ink Davis
as well.

Now to answer the real question. If I can't say JB himself, I would say
historically Claremont is my favorite. Their work created some of the
most iconic comics in the business. Like the Beatles they captured
lightning in a bottle for a short period of time. That work has influenced
many other creators (good and bad) and many have tried and failed to
recapture that magic.

(IMO) Claremont became so tied to that fame it
pigeonholed his career. Not that he didn't have a fantastic career. He
just became the X-Men guy and has never been able to shake that. JB,
however, has moved forward to find his own voice and showed his
versatility as a writer. Being able to try different titles and characters
made JB a more well rounded writer. Where Claremont stayed in his
comfort level.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 8  

I saw some words to live by, the other day: "Life begins where your comfort zone ends."

Fear of stagnation has driven me outside my comfort zone many, many times. Sometimes with great success. Sometimes... not!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 9  

An Alan Davis and John Byrne Elseworlds book would be something grand I think just based on their respective Elseworlds books. That's something DC really dropped the ball with when they quit doing them. Although the current continuity of the DC universe seems like a really bad Elseworlds gone horribly awry to most of their old readers and fans these days so maybe Elseworlds would be redundant.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 10  

Wallace, that's exactly what the thread is about. I was just saying if he worked
with Davis I'd prefer it to be Davis on art.

Gotcha, Shane. Hmmm… That's a tough call for me, but I'm leaning towards
JB writing and AD on art as well.

An Alan Davis and John Byrne Elseworlds book would be something grand I
think just based on their respective Elseworlds books.

Agreed! If JB is my favorite time travel comic book creator, Alan Davis takes
that honor for alternate realities.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

DC has a bizarre, dysfunctional relationship to continuity. They keep insisting they're done with parallel universes, Elseworlds, and such. They're no good. They've been hurt by them too many times. All of that is over and done with. Good riddance to them! Then, in a sudden rush, they fly back to them, falling all over themselves to do another 52 or Convergence, tumbling down the rabbit hole again and filling the stands with nothing but alternate continuities and parallel versions of the characters. 

Then, next morning, they look back and declare that was it. The last time. Never again. They're starting over, with a new Superman, a new Batman, a new Wonder Woman. It's a new day. No more of this bringing back the past or seeing other counterparts on the side. Really. They mean it. It's over.

Until it isn't again...

I suspect this new Movie/TV-verse they're concocting (because nothing on the stands can beat the proven sales power of Superboy the Comic Book, The Flash TV Special, and Smallville Season Eleven) will very soon yield "nostalgia" books, with crewcut Barry Allen and Green Arrow alongside Speedy in the Arrowcar. Valentines to the fans, you understand.

It's a little bizarre that Generations got caught up in all this. If I recall correctly, DC editorial felt in necessary to tag the project with the Elseworlds logo. Then, when they swept away all the Elseworlds, there was no possible way to do more Generations because, well, Generations was an Elseworld. It doesn't have to be, does it? It could come back without the logo, right? No, it had the logo, so it's an Elseworld. See?

No, not really... Especially when the latest Morrison "Map of the Universe" goes out of its way to include all of the Elseworld variant characters, including those from Generations, on their own... where have I heard this before?.. parallel Earths! That was the whole Multiversity thing that ran through DC's line of books throughout 2014 and 2015. The event that was supposed to finally tie everything together, complete with guidebooks, so that going forward, everyone knew where everyone stood, where everyone was based, and what the rules were going forward.

I assume that's all out the window now, right?

In answer to this thread's question, the only books I have by JB that I would never want to part with were written either by JB himself, Stern, or Claremont. While Cap 250 and 255 loom large in my psyche, I could never let go of the Savage Land saga and the Mesmero & Magneto stories leading up it, so I'll have to vote Claremont.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2016 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

Have to go with Claremont.
Those Marvel Team-Up issues will always have a special place in my heart!
A nice long Gruenwald/Byrne Cap run would have been a pleasure to witness.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version