Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Favorite Writer For John Byrne’s Art (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was thinking about this the other day while thinking about JB working with Roger Stern again. Roger Stern is one of my favorite writers that John Byrne has ever worked with. (And it seems like he's one of JB's favorites as well, though I can't speak speak for him.) I loved their Captain America run. It's some of my favorite Cap stories ever and I've noticed several of their issues make a lot of people's top ten Cap stories ever told. I wish that run had gone on longer. I also loved The Lost Generation and it's a shame virtually nothing has been done with those characters since then. Of course my favorite writer for John Byrne is Mr. Byrne himself (Fantastic Four, Alpha Flight, Omac, Generations, Batman/Captain America, X-Men: Hidden Years being some of my particular favorites), but if you had to pick someone you'd like to see JB work with again who would it be? It doesn't have to be as art robot like Legends or his Action Comics run with Gail Simone that Nelson kind of screwed up with his redrawing instead of just inking it. (Although it's still pretty damn good story-wise.) It could be co-plotted or co-written like Lost Generation or much of his Uncanny X-Men run with Claremont. 

Edit: I must be getting senile in my old age, because I've apparently asked this question before, although the last time I asked Mr. Byrne himself rather than the group and he mentioned Archie Goodwin as one of his favorites to work with. I am still interested in what everyone else thinks however.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 05 February 2016 at 9:45pm
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

Hard to see past Roger Stern.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Hard to see past Roger Stern.

I'd go with Uncle Rog, too.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

Chris Claremont

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

Roger Stern with out question. 

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

Uh, how about John Byrne?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

Hold the phone… Would Alan Davis drawing the covers for the GENESIS
miniseries make him eligible?

No?

I thought not.

Darn.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

Pete: Uh, how about John Byrne?

I mentioned John Byrne being my favorite writer for his own art in my initial post. Perhaps I should have made the title clearer with "Favorite Writer for John Byrne's Art (Other than John Byrne)". This was prompted by JB talking about how he thought writing Batman might be out of his wheelhouse so I was thinking of folks he might enjoy working with and the fans might enjoy reading as well, and even though Stern has never really written a solo Batman title either and tends to excel at the same kinds of stories that Byrne does so well, team books, action, adventure, and, as JB put it himself, smashing planets together, I think it would still be great to see a Stern/Byrne Batman.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 05 February 2016 at 9:54pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

Wallace, Alan Davis has written a few things I've enjoyed like The Nail, but I much prefer JB's writing to Davis'. Although it would be cool to see something with Byrne writing and Alan Davis art. I've rather enjoyed the stuff that JB wrote for other artists like JR Jr. on Iron Man and Jae Lee on Namor so I definitely would be up for him just writing something as well.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

Shane, I prefer JB writing himself, too. I thought this thread was about sharing
the names of other creators we would most enjoy seeing him work with again.

Davis' art is always great, and I enjoyed his writing on CLANDESTINE,
EXCALIBUR, KILLRAVEN, THE NAIL, ANOTHER NAIL and SUPERBOY'S LEGION.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

Now this has me thinking about how rare it is today to see the writer/artist in comics like Frank Miller, John Byrne, Alan Davis, Walter Simonson, Howard Chaykin, but then again it's always been kind of rare, hasn't it? I know of all the current comics I'm buying only one is done that way, Stray Bullets which David Lapham both writes and does the art for. Although I've been meaning to read Ragnarok which Simonson both writes and draws.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wallace, that's exactly what the thread is about. I was just saying if he worked with Davis I'd prefer it to be Davis on art. Although I'd probably still pick it up if Davis wrote it and Byrne drew it, because, hey, John Byrne art! But as for Davis' art, he's right up there with Mr. Byrne and Perez as some of my favorite comic artists. And thanks for reminding me about Clandestine and Superboy's Legion. I enjoyed those quite a bit as well.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 05 February 2016 at 10:24pm

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version