Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: The Atlantic:The Trouble With Superman (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 1  

"I suspect a lot of people (me included) have a soft spot in their heart for Krypto."

i for one can say i totally do, as a dog lover most likely. i have a few comics im keeping just because i think Krypto was drawn so well on them, just the cover. one of the comics that had an immediate stimulation of sad feelings for me, maybe the number one comic for this, was the Superman by JB where Krypto gave up his powers to save Superboy. it literally bummed me out for a few minutes. that's how well written and drawn that part is. the panel of Krypto's face as he thinks of the idea will never leave my memory. having a dog (or pet of any kind, i know cats like this) that you love, that visibly loves you back is one of life's great rewards. the emotional pull and response (in a normal person) that an animal pet creates is a mysterious thing. Krypto fully embodies this, especially in that story.

back to the Atlantic article. its a good article and i dont want to think about it being wrong or right. and some of the comments below it were also well written and again both & neither wrong or right. the bottom line seems to be that Superman as a character has been dragged in too many different directions from the core ideals, and the comic is suffering. the current movie version of superman doesnt matter because its making money, and thats all the movie is for. its not permanent. i mean that no movie matters to its viewer as the 'correct superman' as much as a run of comics would to a reader that re-reads them from time to time. if you dont read comics but see Man of Steel, it served it purpose. its made for the current movie going market. that market will prob change at some point and superman may change with it. but the comic readers want whats familiar i think. updated stories that keep the core intact. 

did anyone read the link that lead to the Morrison/Waid/Millar proposed reboot in 1998? it was interesting...not necessarily good. Superman should be an easy character to write, but it seems like no version makes everyone happy.
and ive said it before and ill say it again. as far as 'film' is concerned, the best version of Clark's ideals and morals and struggles and even his life as a human alien itself were in the 10 year run of Smallville. i really think they got it right when it comes to a modern incarnation of Superboy without the costume... and a young Lex as well. the BEST Lex i think.

Edited by Robert Ingrao on 15 February 2016 at 6:22am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 2  

Superman should be an easy character to write, but it seems like no version makes everyone happy.

••

As the story goes, Mort Weisinger, when he was editor of the Superman titles in the Fifties and Sixties, used to ask neighborhood children what they wanted to see Superman doing. He would then tailor the stories accordingly.

That's one rare example, if true, of when it is good to give the audience what they think they want. Children, at least then, had a simple innocence, and that was reflected in Superman's stories. But as more and more fans have turned pro, the target audience has shifted. By the time I was hired to "reboot" Superman, DC was not even considering children, once by far the largest part of the audience. Indeed, the editorial focus of the company had turned more and more toward that part of the audience once considered the fringes -- the older, long-time, anal-retentive fans. The very ones who, when I came in in the Seventies, were mocked around the offices and seen as decidedly unhealthy.

In a very short span of time, tho, I saw office jokes about, for instance, the sex lives of the characters turning up as parts of the stories. These were considered "mature" stories, tho as one artist put it, they tended more to be sophomoric.

With each "reboot" and "reinvention" DC and Marvel have turned further and further away from the kinds of stories that were most successful in the Past. As I have mentioned before, when I started at Marvel it seemed as if people were saying "Remember how great those stories were by Stan and Jack and Steve? Let's not do that!" Is it mere coincidence, tho, that I tried very hard to do those kinds of stories when I was working on FANTASTIC FOUR, and my run on that title has been widely declared second only to Stan and Jack?

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 3  

JB, do you think that the best way to achieve an "all-ages" comicbook story is to at least initially gear it to kids and only afterwards add elements that adults would also appreciate?
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 4  

The hell of all the Millar-Morrison-ing of Superman and the rest of the DC Universe is that they can write basic, kid-oriented Superman stories and elect not to. Millar wrote several issues of the animated Superman Adventures title and they're a hoot to read. Fun, engaging, character-oriented... Around the same time I was reading those, I found he wrote a Team Superman one-shot, featuring the ancillary Super-characters gathering to rescue Superman from Mongul... who was torturing him, brutally, for days upon days... If nothing else, it was a bracing reminder of what sort of writer I was really dealing with here.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version