Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: QuizUp: my tribute to my favorite artist (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 1:44am | IP Logged | 1  

Fred, I can send you the (now) 214 questions if you just want to test yourself !
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 2  

The demons were not specific to ALPHA FLIGHT. My FF from this vintage is equally cringe inducing.

I'm going to be honest, here. I'm not a big fan of your X-Men and FF work in terms of asthetics. I don't think think they're bad but compaired to your current work, they're not as acomplished. Looking back I've noticed you've gotten better and better. I'd say from your Superman work up until today.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't think think they're bad but compaired to your current work, they're not as acomplished.

••

One likes to think that's a somewhat redundant statement! If the development arrow is not pointed always forward, there is something seriously wrong!

As I have said, there are times when I look at some of the superstar artists and envy the fact that they have been around for thirty years and their styles are very nearly exactly as they were when they started. Whether that's due to a lack of talent or shrewd thinking, it shows a brilliant grasp of the audience. So many fans want everything to stay eternally the same.

My personal pathologies would not permit this, of course, but I know there are many out there who wish I was still drawing today exactly the same way I drew when I was doing X-MEN -- and that an unchanged Terry Austin was still inking everything I do!

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 4  

My personal pathologies would not permit this, of course, but I know there are many out there who wish I was still drawing today exactly the same way I drew when I was doing X-MEN -- and that an unchanged Terry Austin was still inking everything I do!

I'm glad you chose to develope your skills to become a better artist. It definitely shows!

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 5  

Phillipe, most of the odd translations are fine but calling Iceman "Iceberg" did stop me in my tracks a bit. :)

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 6  

Leigh,

Oups, sometimes, I don't even think about it...probably the same with your french ;)

Corrected ! And up to 222 questions !

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 7  

…up to 222 questions !

••

I would DEFINITELY flunk this!!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 8  

It's multiple choice with only 4 options, so you might find your memory jogged sufficiently to sail through.

Edited by Peter Martin on 19 February 2016 at 9:04am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 9  

Well, it requires one to "sign up," so that puts it immediately in my no-fly zone.

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

and a final comment (as i guess its a thread drift):
to me, JB, your art has improved but still retained what makes it instantly recognizable as your art. NOTHING you have ever done is cringe worthy, thats simply not true (i was just bashing on a long time artist on facebook because i think his current art IS highly cringe worthy). sure, you drew it, so you can see the flaws from your view; and sure skill will change over time but i think its a strong point that your style has both retained its look AND improved. and im looking from the Charlton days to this decade. i dont want you to draw more like the X-men days (and i like varying inkers), i just want you to draw like you draw, and you always do, even if you think its sub-par.
better that than you suddenly change style completely (like Giffen or Miller) and it doesnt work out ...

and now im wondering who you mean when you mention " superstar artists ...around for thirty years and their styles ...as they were when they started"   
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dale Gonsalves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 11  

Philippe

Played it last night until 2am. Addictive.

Sat down this morning and did one on Jamaica with 50 questions and pictures (Jamaica- The Rock)

One question I thought had 2 answers: 

"Which female Superman kissed on the cover of Action Comics?"

I answered Wonder Woman and it told me I was wrong, answer is Big Barda.

Both answers are correct. you need to eliminate the question, or one of the ladies in your answer section.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 12  

On a similar note...BBC`s Mastermind(How apt!) quiz show had a contestant answering questions on `X-Men comics` last night,a few questions were from the classic J.B./Claremont run,i got 9 right! It`s probably available on BBC i-Player online.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version