Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm not groaning. That's an interesting unexplored era and it's NOT the Abramsverse. At least it's got the potential to feel like one of the flavors of real Star Trek. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like that the setting brings us away from both the Abramsverse and the Berman spinoffs. Unfortunately, a great deal that was established in those franchise shows could be seen as being still "out there," still waiting to be discovered, ala' the Borg, Ferengi, or Holodecks on Enterprise, and therefore could be alluded to if not directly confronted. 

Also, the Berman era of the franchise went to great pains to establish that it was the Movie-era that they owed their allegiance to, not the original series. A couple of episodes got to play around with TOS material, but for the most part, Berman wanted to pretend the TV show never existed and only the movies provided the foundation for what he and his team were working on.

If this is going to more of the same, then that's not a point in it's favor. And again, it's still a Bad Robot Production with one of the three butchers who gave us the recent films at the helm.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 2:23am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Going to be honest, I am not really leaping for excitement about that one.
It has some of the same problems as Enterprise now, the hardcore fans know what can and can not happen during this period.

They can put in the Cardassian first contact I guess, some of the conflicts with the Klingons, and the incident with the Romulans, but nothing can be done that is really going to affect the status quo.

I am not even sure what would have worked for a new series.
One set directly after Nemesis? Again a show further in the future (problem with this one is is that as technology becomes more advanced  that the number of situations that could become a problem will be reduced, a new advanced transporter for example that can get around problems the original ones could not)
And if the situation in the 25th century is pretty much like in the 24th century it just shows nothing ever changes. There is always a Klingon Empire out there, and a Romulan Star Empire, and there is always conflict or tension between the Feds, Klingons, and Roms.

I am not sure what would be the best solution. Start completely fresh after The Undiscovered Country (sort of a reboot?)
Back to Top profile | search

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Tales of Enterprise C?

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

No, I mean, disregarding everything that happened after Star Trek 6 and treat it as new territory again.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I very much doubt that any true fan of TOS -- anyone for whom STAR TREK is more than just a title to be slapped onto any package -- will ever be satisfied with the new iterations.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Shaun - "Latest rumors now are that the new show will take place in the years between THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY and "The Next Generation."

Would you please provide a link to the source of this information? It's getting tiresome to see rumors repeated that end up having unreliable sources.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Certainly, Tim... it's being picked-up by a bunch of sites, so I didn't think to post any links, but here's one from TrekMovie.com:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/04/13/breaking-the-new-star-trek-t v-show-will-be-set-post-undiscovered-country-pre-tng/

It does seem misleading, though... all article titles seem to indicate this is a fact, but dig inside and they still refer to these as "rumors."

We'll see!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thank you, Shaun - much appreciated. TrekMovie has been pretty reliable, as is BirthMoviesDeath.

When this kind of information leaks, I tend to wonder if they are using the old political tactic of floating the rumor to see how the public reacts before making an official statement.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I very much doubt that any true fan of TOS -- anyone for whom STAR TREK is more than just a title to be slapped onto any package -- will ever be satisfied with the new iterations.

Unfortunate Viacom and Paramount think that everything with the name of Star Trek can be sold.
And the now seek to appeal to an audience that is quite fickle and has a new taste almost each month.

The brand has been tarnished on the screen so I am hesitant about supporting a new series.
I would feel better if Orci was kicked of the team.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2016 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marten, remember in the Bad Robot Abramsverse, the transporter can already, early in Kirk & Spock's careers, transport at high warp, transport objects quantumly across the universe ("Which is easy, by the way," Scotty reminds us,) and be incorporated into a single-user backpack device one can use to simply transport from Federation space all the way to the Klingon Homeworld, thereby eliminating the need for starships entirely from Star Trek.

What more Abrams & co. could do at this point to "advance" the technology, I can only imagine... Hey, as long as we're just makin' stuff up, maybe when you get there, you have a freshly prepared, hot grilled cheese sandwich in your hand to munch on! Or ice cream! Or Barbi Benton! (A transporter duplicate of Barbi Benton of course, each with an identical quantum signature to the original, yet infinitely replicatable...) We could also program a timer device into the quantum transporter field so that you arrive back home at the same instant you left, having already accomplished everything you set out to do, without ever having had to do any of it yourself! The events of the away mission would simply take place in another quantum reality which the transporter would then effortlessly fold into our continuum, easy squeezie! Think of the lives that could be saved! You could transport away for your five year hitch in Starfleet, arrive back home the moment you left, and never have endangered anything but a quantum possibility of yourself in the process! You could do it again and again, going on five-year missions for millennia, and do it all in a single afternoon, safe from the comfort of your living room, or wherever you have your portable transporto-backpack with you at the moment! No muss, no fuss, no difficulties whatsoever!

And really, isn't that what storytelling is all about..?

David Strickhouser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB: Fuller brings a lot to the table as far as Star Trek is concerned.   Perhaps that's the point -- this isn't going to be like any previous Star Trek show, hopefully in good ways.

The quote I've seen from Fuller: new ideas.

They just signed Nicholas Meyer to the writing staff, and to serve as a (Consulting) Producer on the new show.

JB: Is this a glimmer that I see before me...?

This news made me cautiously optimistic, if still concerned.

JB: Rod Roddenberry's presence will come down to which of Gene's visions he feels he must protect, TOS or TMP.

Interesting point, JB. Besides some interviews I've seen on Special Features DVDs, I know little of his production knowledge or background or how vested he is in his father's legacy.

Faithfulness to the '60's philosophy, or the "humanist" philosophy of a decade later.

Above all this, what I'm not hearing from those involved is a feeling, like JB on New Visions, of this being a "labor of love" or at least a "labor of respect" for the franchise's history.

I understand it has to feel new, fresh; but remember always: good storytelling, compelling characters, and believability in the workings of that universe.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

JB: Fuller brings a lot to the table as far as Star Trek is concerned.   Perhaps that's the point -- this isn't going to be like any previous Star Trek show, hopefully in good ways.

Not something I said. That was me quoting someone else.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

TOS was all about gunboat diplomacy. That might not be PC in today's world, but without it -- and starting with NEXT GENERATION -- we don't get the real STAR TREK.

David Strickhouser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2016 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Sorry for the misquote.

TOS was all about gunboat diplomacy. That might not be PC in today's world, but without it -- and starting with NEXT GENERATION -- we don't get the real STAR TREK.

Maybe ... "cowboy" diplomacy? (Couldn't resist.)

I think of that along the lines of "Trust, but verify."

Or "Speak softly, ... but carry a big phaser rifle."

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2016 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The new STAR TREK series teaser-

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Unfortunately, tells us nothing!!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I did note the 'New Crews' plural.  I'm kind of hoping they might go an anthology route, with seasons or parts of seasons set on different ships, maybe even in different eras.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2016 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I was also rather taking note of 'New villains'.
Truth be told I was thinking "Why does that need to be mentioned?". If new crews run into new species that are hostile that is one thing, but it doesn't need to be used as a blurb to 'sell' the show.

It is not as if we specifically watched Star Trek to see which 'baddies' the 'goodies' will fight this week. (well only when I was younger)
Sure I love a good action packed episode if told well but I would good and fun story telling in the first place, dealing from to time with with complex issues, new concepts in in scientific knowledge and cosmology, and explore philosophy and ethic, and dabble with other genres like the original show did.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2016 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The new STAR TREK series teaser-

Which seemed to be in the same style as the Abrams-Trek movie end credits...

I also remember long ago of the hype about introducing the Ferengi to replace the Klingons as the "bad guys" of the Trek franchise...

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 May 2016 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I also remember long ago of the hype about introducing the Ferengi to replace the Klingons as the "bad guys" of the Trek franchise...

Was ever a bit blown so badly? And so soon?

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Ooh the Ferengi
Do you want to have to deal with the ... FERENGI?

Ferengi appear
Man, that's it?

Granted, I think the fact that they hadn't built a bridge set for them damaged the intro but after the build up, to get what we got was just pathetic.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2016 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

But what about those Ferengi electro whips? Eh? Nothing says "major villain race" like fur vests and whips.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2016 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Here's a bit of an interview with Bryan Fuller.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Bryan Fuller actually got his start writing for television as a member of the writing staff on Star Trek:DS9 and Voyager. Judging from some of the stuff I've read, during his tenure he was treated quite poorly by Brannon Braga and Rick Berman and his scripts were messed with quite a bit. So here's hoping he gets to write the Star Trek stories he wanted to do the first time without micromanagement from the nitwits that ran Star Trek into the ground.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version