Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well at the time Berman did a pretty good job but I think the guy grew a bit to comfortable in his role and position.
Plus there were the higher ups who wanted yet another Star Trek series after Voyager which already suffered from declining ratings.

That does not excuse Enterprise or Nemesis of course but Berman wasn't some sole destructive force of Star Trek.

Braga, well he could in general only write well when partnered with someone else to keep his more ludicrous ideas in check. I don't think he should have been made a producer to begin with.

I am a bit worried that the new team wants to make the new series a lot more political and military oriented as a lot of the books have become such as the TNG, DSN, Voyager, and Enterprise books.
That is one of the reasons why I stopped reading as the focus shifted almost completely from exploration, adventure, and mysteries to political and military crises.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Bryan Fuller actually got his start writing for television as a member of the writing staff on Star Trek:DS9 and Voyager. Judging from some of the stuff I've read, during his tenure he was treated quite poorly by Brannon Braga and Rick Berman and his scripts were messed with quite a bit. So here's hoping he gets to write the Star Trek stories he wanted to do the first time without micromanagement from the nitwits that ran Star Trek into the ground.

Unless you've read his original scripts, I'd say that falls very much under the heading of "be careful what you wish for!"

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Unless you've read his original scripts, I'd say that falls very much under the heading of 'be careful what you wish for!'"

Hahaha. A holodeck episode featuring villain Hannibal Lecter.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Before he did "Hannibal," Fuller did much more light-hearted fare such as Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, and Dead Like Me. "Dead Like Me" was not upbeat and cheerful at all times, but there was an underlying sense of sentiment, humor, and humanity throughout, elements entirely missing from "Hannibal" where twisted, bizarre ugliness and a sense of utter futility against evil ruled. 

He nodded at his previous work by having Ellen Muth guest-star ("Am I alive?") and, of course, Gretchen Speck sauntered through ("Lost the hyphen, kept the ring") only to wind up thrown into a trunk and buried alive on a drip of drugs and saline so her living body could be used as a grotesque mushroom-harvesting community... so I guess that's kind of funny... As for the note the show hit in it's final season, I suppose one could find auto-cannibalism amusing, if one were of a certain bent...

I no longer trust Fuller to provide something worthwhile, and Kurtzman is, of course, a complete creative loss. This show doesn't seem very promising at this point. 

Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Oddly enough, WONDERFALLS and DEAD LIKE ME, which are both favorites of mine, are reasons I can't see Fuller in this role. It's like asking me to do SPAWN. The sensibilities do not align.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was a big fan of Dead Like Me and Hannibal, but he did write 22 or so, I believe, different episodes of Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise. Okay, not the two best Star Trek shows, probably the two worst, but this quote gave me a bit of hope about the upcoming series:

On 2 March 2009 Fuller told iF Magazine that he is pushing for a new Star Trek TV series based on "old style" Star Trek. In the interview he stated that "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trekseries and have an idea that I'm kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the '60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin."

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 June 2016 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

On 2 March 2009 Fuller told iF Magazine that he is pushing for a new Star Trek TV series based on "old style" Star Trek. In the interview he stated that "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trekseries and have an idea that I'm kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the '60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin."

When directors and producers and writers say things like this, it is always a big red flag for me. I go back to the first SWAMP THING movie, which everyone concerned declared would be absolutely faithful to the comics. Things do not seem to have improved much, since.

(It's also a big alarm bell when someone refers to the "fun" of some past project or era. Almost every time, "fun" turns out to be something in their minds utterly different from what it is in mine!)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

New series is to be streamed on Netflix, along with all previous Star Trek TV series: LINK

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just read the 'excluding the US and Canada' line... Great.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

First look at the USS Discovery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

Cropped screencap:
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thought it looked familiar!  Very McQuarrie cut about the jib.  And Secondary Hull:

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Bryan Fuller stated at the Star Trek panel that this new series will not
be episodic.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I very much like the name Discovery for a Starfleet ship.

As for the ship herself...I was never that keen on the McQuarrie/Ken Adam delta-wing design, but I much prefer this one to the Ryan Church reboot version. Which, I admit, is not saying much.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Yeeeeeg. So not diggin' it...

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I can't say I like this design.
Perhaps it is 'retro' but I would not call it retro in a good way. (yes, I recognize it may take inspiration from the Phase 2 ship but I did not like that one, the Constitution Refit was definitely an improvement on the discarded design, and the Galaxy class)

I take the designs from the Original Series, TNG, DSN, and VGR over this one. Even the Earth starships design in Enterprise look nicer.
Designers for Star Trek media and fans have designed better looking ships.

Nothing wrong with the name though.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 23 July 2016 at 10:43pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

It looks as if they were trying to literalize the insignia shape into a Federation starship.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Other people like to compare it to a mix between Federation and Klingon/Romulan designs, but I think there is more of a Cardassian ship design in this. (the colors for one)
The secondary hull reminds me a lot of the Galor and Keldon class.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

And I'm out. . . .

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Mr Byrne, what do you dislike about this design?

If the rumors that are going around right now are correct and this series takes place before the Original Series my interest in watching it is also gone.

It is not that I don't like the 23th century but this like the reboot feels that producers and writers only want to work with what is known and safe.

I think this series, Star Trek Beyond, and the fourth movie (yep it is already planned) are going to determine if the Franchise will make it to its 75th anniversary.
My hopes for it are slim.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

First look at the USS Discovery:

*sigh* The NX-01 "5th Season Refit" looks a lot more "Star Trek" to my eyes than that.

Pass.

I'm just glad I have another rebooted space franchise to look forward for next year...

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 24 July 2016 at 7:21am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"Bryan Fuller stated at the Star Trek panel that this new series will not 
be episodic."

Um, I'm not totally clear what 'episodic' means. So the new Trek will be one long story told over the season(s)?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I don't mind the saucer section. The rest of the ship is terrible.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

According to TrekMovie, one of the producers was trying to make it clear that this was just a sample clip and not necessarily the final design of the ship. As for the non-episodic nature of the show, Fuller said that the program was going to feature one, large, overall story arc, which fans shouldn't worry about since the only way to see it will be CBS streaming and all of the episodes will be right there, at their fingertips. It sounds as if it's being specifically made to be binge-watched. I wonder if the individual episodes will hold up if you don't.

He also said some promising things regarding Star Trek's optimism and potential as an inspiration and guide towards a more hopeful future. 

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

"I'm out."

I think I was out when I heard CBS was trying to use this to get to pay $5 a month for a new streaming service of mostly CBS stuff.

I don't need more monthly subs and this doesn't make me feel like I need just one more monthly sub. 

It's weird, and I'm curious, but not $5 a month curious. Not for THIS + CBS stuff anyway.

Also the Phase II-like design looks like the Starfleet used the design work of a Klingon defector or something. Looks warlike, like the Federation wanted to have those crazy Star Fleet Battles Klingon fire-arcs the next time they went exploring for five years.

Edited by Emery Calame on 24 July 2016 at 12:09pm

Chris Blaise
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"Hey, if The Force Awakens can make 2 billion dollars using rejected Ralph McQuarrie designs, why can't we??!1!"

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version