Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 81 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I notice:

Several crew members seem to have cybernetic implants. 
Lorca collects alien species. 
In episode one, the Klingons were worried about being assimilated by the Federation. 

I have a theory. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

On top of everything else, we now know that the big research project that is Discovery's main focus...isn't going to pan out, because this is a prequel.

Not necessarily.  It could pan out but end up with Discovery being lost or (my own pet theory) be erased from the timeline.

But... space fungus... that gives you instant faster-than-light-travel?  Physics is biology?  Wut?

I think I need to lie down...

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I notice:

In episode one, the Klingons were worried about being assimilated by the Federation. 

I have a theory.

Obvious red herring is obvious.  They want you to think what you're thinking because they know you know your STAR TREK.  

I noticed Michael's identification of the 'lightning bugs' also included a species number, and the flat line delivery sounded very similar to another Star Trek character too.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2017 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I notice:

I have a theory.

No please don't.
Won't people be happy until they have deconstructed everything from Star Trek?
Not everything needs to be explained. Let fans keep something to theorize about.

But... space fungus... that gives you instant faster-than-light-travel?  Physics is biology?  Wut?

Yeah I am also calling bullshit on this one. Apparently the writers were inspired by some article on string theory that had something to do with seeds.
Pretty sure that they misinterpreted it.

Heh, I could imagine the following scene when the crew of the Discovery analyses the logs of the scientists.

* somehow the scientists have consumed or absorbed a lot of the mushrooms *

Scientist "Lo... look at all the colors!", "We are... are traveling faster than warp!" * with a slurred voice of course *

* we see various videos of the crew of the ship running through the corridors holding their arms in the air as if they are airplanes *

* at some point one of the stoned crew members opens the cage where the beast was kept that appeared in episode, absolutely not aware of what he is about to release *
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2017 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah I am also calling bullshit on this one. Apparently the writers were inspired by some article on string theory that had something to do with seeds.
Pretty sure that they misinterpreted it.

Another log to chuck on the fire here is an environmental/alternative energy agenda (in addition to all the other checklist agendas the show seems to have).

There's a spiritual Mother Earth/Universe everything-is-connected vibe being projected here that seems kind of out of place for STAR TREK.  I'd prefer my STAR TREK be STAR TREK rather than a second rate Dune ripoff crossed with Blake's 7.

Additionally, I got a whiff of the real world uranium versus thorium debate with the two types of warp technology, one of which has to be either lost or abandoned if STAR TREK continuity is to be preserved.

Traditional warp drive (uranium) was chosen because it could be used to make weapons and faster ships but ultimately was shown to damage the interstellar environment, leading to the "Warp 5 limit" imposed during the TNG era.

The alternative method (thorium) is apparently god's gift to warp travel, brings everyone together for a hug in peace and hedgemony and can't be weaponized.   In the real world thorium is supposed to be clean, easier to extract, plentiful but apparently no one can make a practical molten salt reactor that works a damn.  

If the Federation can make this fungus/biological travel technology workable they would have power and technology that would rival the Iconians.  

Or perhaps the Dicovery and her crew are the 'lost' Iconians.  
And the start of the Borg.  
And Spock's sister and Sarek's favorite child.

Bleh.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 03 October 2017 at 5:44am

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

In the 'credit where credit is due' department for episode 3...they went digging in the crates for this one:

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I can only think that the premise for this series is this:
THIS crew is actually the mirror universe (or a mirror universe) and when they travel to the mirror universe, it will turn out to be TOS universe.

Nothing else makes any shred of sense

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In the back of my mind, I've been thinking this, too. That sort of "pull the rug out from under the audience" tactic would be just the sort of thing to engage fan interest, and convince all the stragglers to subscribe to All Access and check it out.

There are also those bizarre rumors about trans-dimensional travel, and all of Mark Lenard's TOS characters actually being different incarnations of Sarek.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Even from someone who doesn't know much about Star Trek, there's something off about it. The Kilngons look almost unrecognisable (spell checker wants me to replace the S with a Z put i refuse to) and it seems more action orientated rather than cerebral than the few previous Star Trek series I've seen. I'm going to give it a few more episodes as I don't know the ins-and-outs of Star Trek to make too much judgement but it does feel off even if I can't quite put my finger on it.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This is a theory that's less wild, but has me pretty convinced at this point.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In the 'credit where credit is due' department for episode 3...they went digging in the crates for this one:

Wow, nice catch.

Sounds like one of these guys earned their pay:
https://www.flixist.com/star-trek-discovery-hired-fans-and-c anon-experts-to-stay-accurate-221706.phtml

It still begs the question, why all this energy put into getting small throwaway things like the above Lewis Caroll tidbit correct ** only to completely miss the big broad (dare I say, obvious) strokes?

**even more ironic, they are trying to be faithful to a series that's not considered wholly canon

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 04 October 2017 at 8:59pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've become completely convinced that all modern fandom(s) think they need are flashy visuals and lots of cute little Easter Egg-type references. It apparently doesn't matter if continuity, themes, and faithful characterization get tossed out the window.

I've read that a Tribble and Gorn skeleton make cameos in the latest episode. Except...humanity's first encounter with the Gorn surely wasn't until "Arena", and they also didn't likely know of Tribbles (widely enough that Kirk and Spock would have heard of them, at least) until "The Trouble With Tribbles". 

Unless the Enterprise's computer banks were greatly lacking in information about alien species, which might be of no small concern to a starship on an exploration mission where even the most minor data could be of life-or-death importance.

I have a feeling that "Secrion 31 covered it up" will be an ongoing excuse for breaking continuity in this show.

<< Prev Page of 81 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version