Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 81 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2017 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't think this show takes place in the Mirror Universe. (there's no mention of the Earth Empire, for example) 

However, I'm beginning to suspect it does take place in *a* mirror universe --  one of a multitude of 'close, but no cigar' realities.  Combine that with the theory postulated in Steve's link and we may have a winner.

One interesting thing shown in TNG's "Parallels" was the majority of universes Worf experienced were close enough to his home reality to have things like the Enterprise in the same area of space, and the layout of the Enterprise and the location of Worf's quarters were the same.   Again -- close, but no cigar.   Nothing was as drastic as the changes that happened to the ship in "Yesterday's Enterprise" -- but is an alternate timeline the same thing as a parallel reality in this case?   Perhaps an alternate timeline becomes a parallel reality if it's never corrected....

"Mirror Mirror" makes it's parallel reality close to the 'real' one as a storytelling convenience and doesn't dwell on the impossibilities of how a universe where everyone is trying to stab everyone else in the back has the same people in the same physical places at roughly the same times as it's counterpart.   It would be really neat if DISCOVERY were to actually come up with a plausible reason within STAR TREK lore for why these types of realities exist.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 04 October 2017 at 10:07pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Midnight's Edge roundtable on episode # 3:

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A few more observations:

*The Starfleet prisoner garb looks more like what I think a 2017 update of "The Cage" beige zip collar uniforms should look like. 

*So Michael is also Starfleet's first ever mutineer?   Really?  So in over 200 combined years of Federation and pre--Federaton history no one ever dared to stand up to starship captain and challenge an order?  I find that a bit suspicious.  Perhaps it's part of the Federation propaganda -- everyone seems to know who Michael is and what she did but weirdly not what she looks like (Tilly knows her name but doesn't immediately recognize her).

*Again, making her Spock's sister does a bit of disservice to both the character's of Spock and Sarek -- would they both not be some of the most shit-on people in Starfleet given their connection to an infamous mutineer?

*Suru's presence on the Discovery is interesting (if a bit convenient).   I wonder if he's the one who advised Lorca that she might be a good black ops crew candidate.

*The more I watch and read the more I think the 'Section 31' hypothesis will be correct, if a little too on the head.  Even the ship identification is screaming it.

*There are actually four types of Klingons that we've seen in the various STAR TREK series and films -- TOS smooth heads, Movie/TNG era ridgeheads, DISOVERY 'orcs', and the one everyone forgets -- the completely human looking Klingons like Darvin that are only detectible with tribbles.  The last group may be surgically altered or another TOS smooth head variant.   It's significant that Lorca keeps a tribble on his desk, in plain sight, and it's been hinted in various spin-off media that tribbles were designed as biological weapons.  

*I also have a feeling the 100 years of Klingon isolationism will help explain where the augment virus/smooth head Klingons are.  We've already seen the Klingon houses divided by familial lines and it isn't a big leap from there to divisions along racial purity lines.   Smooth head Klingons and possibly their completely human looking brethren are likely outcasts -- at least until the war breaks out, and then they are useful either as cannon fodder or as spies that can blend among humans.  I fully expect a 'human looking' Klingons as refugees episode at some point -- 'cause it's a hot topic, dontchaknow?

*Lorca's not above killing a few people to get what he wants.   The prison shuttle pilot, the hapless redshirt killed by Lorca's 'pet' -- and yes, I did read Suru's hair bristling as the prison shuttle went to warp that they all were disposed of.   The minute that shuttle lost contact in the cloud it was officially 'lost'.  Discovery was never there, and either way that shuttle pilot was going to end up dead, if not by accident then definitely by design later.

*Not sure what to make of Tilly.   She's either the most human acting person among this crew of sneering unhappy people or she's a token 'special needs snowflake' that could get very annoying.   Haven't decided which yet.

*Yes, I missed the blink-and-you'll-miss-it Gorn skeleton, Presever obelisk, Janus VI mining building, and Starbase 11.   Caught the tribble though, because everyone caught the tribble!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So Michael is also Starfleet's first ever mutineer?   Really?  
+++++++

Well, hey, gee, according to Spock in "The Tholian Web", there had never been a mutiny aboard a starship, up until that episode. So, I guess he was wrong...or Section 31 covered it up.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

*There are actually four types of Klingons that we've seen in the various STAR TREK series and films -- TOS smooth heads, Movie/TNG era ridgeheads, DISOVERY 'orcs', and the one everyone forgets -- the completely human looking Klingons like Darvin that are only detectible with tribbles.  The last group may be surgically altered or another TOS smooth head variant. 
+++++++

"Trials and Tribble-ations" confirmed that Darvin was surgically altered to look human.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Would the NuTrek variation be counted as a distinct type?

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote:
according to Spock in "The Tholian Web", there had never been a mutiny aboard a starship, up until that episode.

To be fair, at that point they were basically reserving the term "starship" for what we now call "Constitution Class" vessels. Also, arguably Spock himself committed mutiny in "The Menagerie."

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote:
"Trials and Tribble-actions" confirmed that Darvin was surgically altered to look human.
It's odd that they chose to do away even with the orange makeup and bushy eyebrows for Klingons in an episode that involved a Klingon passing as human. Judging by Koloth and his crew, unless Darvin was of the "shell head" variety (which he was in an issue of the comic "Klingons: Blood Will Tell"), all he would have needed to look as he did would ah e been a disposable razor and a dye job.  If ever there was a time to make the Klingons look a bit distinctive, it was then.

Edited by Luke Styer on 05 October 2017 at 2:28pm

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2017 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

-
 Brian Rhodes wrote:
Would the NuTrek variation be counted as a distinct type?

I'm not sure the NuTrek Klingons look all that different from the Discovery Klingons. The two types certainly look more alike than either looks to the pre-established phenotypes. But if they're distinct, then maybe they also exist in whatever timeline Dsicovery takes place in, or maybe they don't. Even if I buy that Discovery takes place in the "Prime" timeline, enough differences that predate the arrival of Nero have been established in the three NuTrek movies that I don't buy that timeline as a divergence from Prime taking place with that event, so they don't need to exist in both NuTrek and Prime.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Can we discuss sound design please? Specifically phasers and photon torpedoes?

I hate the sounds for the ship's versions of these in the first two episodes (not seen episode three yet, doesn't bode well as it means I'm finding other things more important than this already). There is just no depth to them at all. How can someone think those sounds are better than TOS sounds?

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Kurtzman opens his yap

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/06/exclusive-alex-kurtzman-on- pushing-edges-of-canon-and-planting-seeds-for-star-trek-disc overy-season-2/
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, Kurtzman certainly likes to say what he thinks others want to hear.   

You can pay lip service to your love of STAR TREK but if your actions don't match up then it doesn't really matter.  It's one thing to say that every prop and costume design goes through a filtering process but quite another to say it's in any way congruent to the visuals seen in 'The Cage' and TOS.  There is a happy medium to be had that satisfies both STAR TREK purists and the modern audience who apparently want the flashy, slick visuals -- however, it requires more work and energy than what they are willing to put into it. 

Hollywood and television visuals have always been a slave to the limits of the technology of the time.  I bet you any money that TOS was looked upon as 'flashy and slick' in it's day compared to other TV science fiction.  I've seen hundreds of modern interpretations of Mid-Century Modern decor and fashion and every single one of them has strong elements of the original design in it.  There was a golden opportunity here to take the (IMO) design missteps made in ENTERPRISE and show them in transition to something better resembling 'The Cage' while still looking modern and they wasted it.

Perhaps they need to actually hire a designer who has experience in both vintage and modern television production to get the best of both elements.

<< Prev Page of 81 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version