Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Today they confirmed that it is based on the McQuarrie designs, but also, more interestingly, stated that the new series takes place in the Prime timeline.  So the Abrams movies have officially been quarantined.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'll give it a try. We already subscribe to the CBS streaming service. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2016 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It looks like they glued a Romulan ship from Balance of Terror to a saucer.  Hrm. 

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That teaser is definitely trying to keep me away from this new series.  I hope this Star Wars inspired U.S.S. Discovery is not the real design.  If not, it's continuing a line of ugly designs since Enterprise E and NX-01. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

So, apparently this is a new world of television.  Les Moonves just announced that ST: Discovery is already profitable despite production not having even begun yet.  Apparently the money involved in their foreign distribution deals is already greater than the budget for the series.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

>since Enterprise E...

I like the design of the Enterprise E so i that regarding you are speaking for yourself.
For the rest, yes I also hope the eventual design will be something different because I do not like this design either.
But I also wish the show had not been set before the Original Series which I fear it could be from the looks of things.

Kind of worried that the 'fun of the original series' they want to recreate means that they might turn this show into a parody in an attempt to recreate the mindset that created the original Star Trek. ("Star Trek has to be cheesy, so lets make this cheesy as hell". No Star Trek wasn't trying to be cheesy, some ideas on how to portray science fiction was simply different in that time)

>So, apparently this is a new world of television.  Les Moonves just announced that ST: Discovery is already profitable despite production not having even begun yet.  Apparently the money involved in their foreign distribution deals is already greater than the budget for the series.

That I don't get. Like how there are already plans to make a Star Trek 4 when Beyond was not released yet as for some reason Paramount had some positive signals of how it will be received. (has Beyond earned its production and marketing costs back yet?), already Moonves is already talking about the show being profitable despite there not being one single episode being made, thus already perhaps considering ordering a second season.

What if the new series bombs after watchers hook off after a few episodes? Will he he say that expectations apparently were perhaps to positive in contrast to reality and that reality is forcing CBS to reconsider continuing the new Star Trek series because the costs were higher than the returns?

Just wait until half of the season episodes have been show and what their reception is before you start making future plans dammit.

One of the problems I think with this economy is that sometimes people are already planning to way ahead, already thinking in the future while not paying attention to the present to see if the positive outcome their projections have given them are true.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 04 August 2016 at 4:49pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What if the new series bombs after watchers hook off after a few
episodes? Will he he say that expectations apparently were perhaps to
positive in contrast to reality and that reality is forcing CBS to
reconsider continuing the new Star Trek series because the costs were
higher than the returns?

-------

Given the nature of Netflix and the apparently popularity of all things
Star Trek on Netflix, I don't think that'll be much of a concern. I think
enough current Netflix subscribers will stream it out of curiosity and
finish it just because they started it. The bigger issue is whether the
new series will be able to draw subscribers to CBS's own streaming
service in North America, and I think if that fails, they'll just offer the
series to Netflix in US and Canada as well.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Scuttlebutt I'm hearing is that this is a generational ship with each season set in different eras and crewed by descendants of the originals.  I'm sure there'll be an elder or two held over from previous seasons as well.

I'm also hearing that it's set in the 'Prime' universe but that may only be a technicality due to the first season being set before the divergence point of the 'Kelvin' timeline.

If this truly is a generational ship on a deep space mission then there's some very obvious story material -- crew signing up for a known one-way mission has some resonance to the present day with Mars One.  Any new STAR TREK is going to have to cowtow to the modern TV drama standard of characters who constantly babble about their relationship woes, cheat on their spouses/SO's, and generally pull crap that would get them court-martialled from a real world military.  See STARGATE UNIVERSE for more examples.  :-)  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Crewed by descendants of the originals? Like Kirk's great grandchild or Bones's great great great great niece? That's fucking stupid. 

I think it was officially announced at Comic Con it was set in the Prime universe. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2016 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Any new STAR TREK is going to have to cowtow to the modern TV
drama standard of characters who constantly babble about their
relationship woes, cheat on their spouses/SO's, and generally pull crap
that would get them court-martialled from a real world military. See
STARGATE UNIVERSE for more examples. :-)

------

At SDCC, Bryan Fuller was very big on how Roddenberry's message
with Star Trek was one of hope, diversity, and inclusiveness and how
he wanted to follow that with the new series. (While Trump wasn't
referenced directly, the emphasis on how we needed to see that more
nowadays felt like a reaction to him.) I don't think STARGATE:
UNIVERSE will be the model followed.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The generation-ship concept makes no sense in the context of STAR TREK and Starfleet. It's an interesting idea in itself, not to mention an old science-fiction trope, but why would a society with routine FTL travel send a generation ship anywhere? Because they can?

If the idea is for the ship itself to remain in service from some pre-TOS time period to who knows when...well, sure you could keep a ship around that long, crewed by the original crew's descendants...but why would you?

Illogical stuff.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah I also have my doubts that the series will be about a generation ship.
It would be an interesting premise but I am not sure if it fits for Star Trek, plus what would be the goal? Colonizing another planet? Plenty of nearby habitable planets. A grand tour through the galaxy? The Enterprise and other ships in Kirk's time period needed refitting and upgrading from time to time despite have machine shops and other equipment for maintenance and repair, so I doubt that a ship from before Kirk's era would be almost completely self sufficient and capable of going a whole trip around the galaxy. Not to mention all the hostiles along the way.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

If they were going to go with a 'generational crew', they'd be better off going the route of Voyager and have the ship flung across the galaxy (or into another galaxy) as part of it's premise.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2016 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

"To explore strange new worlds... to seek out new life and new civilizations... to boldly go where no man has gone before."

I guess that would be a suitable mission for a generational ship, but I'm not sure it matches up with Starfleet's purpose (not its intention.)  Starfleet seems to be the military/diplomatic arm of the UFP. 

And unless they faced a crisis or catastrophe every week, it'd be kind of hard to keep people's interest. And if they did run into weekly travails, it would be hard to keep such a ship operational. I'm not sure that such a premise wouldn't trip over its own feet.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2016 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Crewed by descendants of the originals? Like Kirk's great grandchild or Bones's great great great great niece? That's fucking stupid. 

Sorry, meant that the subsequent crews would be descendants of the first season crew.  

Again, just rumors I've heard.  For a series that has not a frame of footage (production has not yet started in Toronto, AFAIK) and only had a casting call a few months ago there sure is a lot of contradictory information floating around. 

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 07 August 2016 at 8:00am

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2016 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

More details on the show:

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2016 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Interesting. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2016 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Hmmmm. 

I had a feeling this was gonna be some sort of TOS prequel, considering the new ship's relatively simplistic design and low NCC number. As for the pre-TOS event that it will depict, my guess is the Battle of Donatu V or some other early Klingon conflict. 

It would be very telling if that event was the Battle of Axanar, which would put the whole fanfilm lawsuit situation in a radically different light, now, wouldn't it?

Anyway, I can see this potentially going really well, or really badly. The talk of a "diverse" female lead makes me wonder if they're trying to chase the current popular trend in Hollywood, what with the major success of STAR WARS' new female lead, etc. And, while TREK long ago missed the boat to be relevant in terms of having LGBT characters, they look to finally be scratching that itch (Gay Sulu from BEYOND notwithstanding). 

My fear is that they'll go a bit too far down the path of chasing current filmmaking trends (the afforementioned feminist and LGBT stuff, etc.) in order to try and make TREK still seem cutting-edge in its exploration of social issues. And also potentially go down a more "liberated", R-rated path in regards to content, a la other popular online shows, like DAREDEVIL. STAR TREK has always been reasonably all-ages friendly, and I kinda think it needs to stay that way.

Whatever happens, this should prove interesting.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2016 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Everything that I've read so far I'm okay with giving a chance. The one thing be it right or wrong that could really sway me is the design of the ship. I hated what we saw of the Discovery. I do hope the design has changed into something more visually appealing.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2016 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Yeah, there was a reason they abandoned the "Star Destroyer" look for the overhauled Enterprise, back in the 70s.

Here's hoping that the look of the show has some very retro aspects to it, and skews more toward "The Cage" than ENTERPRISE.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2016 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I say this in complete fanboy mode. I would enjoy it if we got to see a young Gary Mitchell be apart of this crew for a while.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2016 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

My fear is that they'll go a bit too far down the path of chasing current
filmmaking trends (the afforementioned feminist and LGBT stuff, etc.) in
order to try and make TREK still seem cutting-edge in its exploration of
social issues.

-----

I think this is a weird comment in the context of Star Trek, which
included black and Asian bridge crew in non-token roles (as well as a
female first officer in its original incarnation). If any show should make
inclusiveness and diversity a part of its agenda, I would think it would
be Star Trek.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2016 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

What I'm saying is that they might go too "ripped from the headlines" and lay on the topicality a bit too thick. 

Of course, diversity has always been a part of TREK's agenda, but it should, first and foremost, be a solid sci-fi/drama series, with the social allegories and such as subtext. Since so many barriers have been broken by so many other shows in the past few decades, the TREK people may feel obliged to overcompensate and get really preachy, instead of just telling good stories.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2016 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

For me, Star Trek has always had a certain level of preachiness,
especially with regard to diversity and cooperation, and it wouldn't be
Star Trek without it. As long as it doesn't get TOO heavy-handed
*cough*LetThatBeYourLastBattlefield*cough*, I don't mind if some of
the social issues are a bit obvious.

Joie Simmons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2016 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

If I read the story right, I like how it is supposed to focus on a LT
Commander and not the captain. I've always wanted to see some
Star Trek that could maybe get away from the bridge a little bit.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version