Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: New TV Series Gets Showrunner Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My (very) cautious optimism has now fermented into dread.

Akiva Goldsman is a terrible, terrible choice.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2016 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think someone did change reality but that was when Akiva Goldsman learned to write and wrote a lot of FRINGE and A BEAUTIFUL MIND. How that is the same person who wrote BATMAN AND ROBIN I have no idea

Edited by James Woodcock on 27 October 2016 at 10:28am
Back to Top profile | search | email

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2016 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd forgotten he wrote A BEAUTIFUL MIND, James...that is truly a mystery. He also wrote the LOST IN SPACE movie, which I didn't hate.

He'd have to win a few more Oscars, though, before I forgave him for I, ROBOT and the Schumacher BATMAN movies.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2016 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As noted, some of Goldsman's efforts aren't bad but this was Fuller's vision and his baby.  The fact that he's out yet Kurtzman remains cannot bode well.  I'll still look in on the pilot on free tv but am now expecting to witness a wrecked car by the side of the road.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2016 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Sounds like DISCOVERY didn't waste any time getting their very own Fred Freiberger, before they were even out of the gate!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

STAR TREK doesn't belong on network TV, says exec.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There is something to say about that, Star Trek series have in general not done that well.
TNG was a highlight I think but the number of watchers declined once the series had gone past its peak and was followed up by DSN, VGR, and ENT.

But I am not sure if it would help sell a streaming channel either as the people running it probably still want to draw in people who are not really into science fiction (thus a Star Trek show requiring non Sci-Fi stuff to entice those watchers, thus focus on personal relations and drama)

On another note, at first I thought this was a link to an article I read not so long back in which it was mentioned that someone wanted Star Trek to become a movie only franchise.
I think that would never work and probably make Star Trek even more of a Star Wars clone in order to draw in the audience of that franchise.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2016 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Its bad when a production wants to go back to a dried up well, and want to continue to rewrite the classic Star Trek series to make it their own.  Enterprise did it in nearly every episode and failed.  JJ Abrams created a new universe where writers had the chance to do whatever they wish, but these guys, @CBS, don't want to tackle it.

Starting fresh with a TNG type show would be a better approach to have, launching it on Nickelodeon, or MTV; an opportunity to bring in a young new audience.  This to me is better than trying to feed to an ever declining fanbase.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2016 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not sure if Nickelodeon or MTV would either be a good choice.
I am somewhat convinced that the SJW would hijack Star Trek on MTV, and on Nickelodeon it would probably become a kids show.

JJ Abrams created a new universe where writers had the chance to do whatever they wish

It was more like they wanted to play with the old toys again and pretend they are new while saying that they came up with these themselves.
The entire NuTrek franchise stinks of it including the ongoing comic.

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2016 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

What?! You wanted something original??? From JJ Abrams? Dream on...

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2016 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JJ Abrams created a new universe where writers had the chance to do whatever they wish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
In regards to Trek and Wars Jar Jar didn't create anything new. He put a new coat of paint on what was already there and called it his own.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes, J.J. Abrams helped create a "new" TREK universe... very BADLY, I might add.

The logic & jumping-off point at the start of TREK '09 is ridiculous.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2016 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

It is fiendishly clever though, since so many fans bought into it. It did exactly what it was designed to do--make fans think that all of e old canon still counted, while allowing Abrams and company to do whatever the **** they wanted. 

I've had more than a few conversations with people who immediately countered my objections to the Abramsverse by using two words: "alternate universe". As if that perfectly justifies everything. Of course, stop and actually think about the mechanics of the whole thing for more than a few minutes, and it all falls apart. Time-travel and alternate universes simply do not work that way, in the original TREK canon. And, the destruction of one ship could not possibly have such a far-reaching effect, with technology, births, and basic conceits of the franchise being altered. We're not talking "Yesterday's Enterprise, here. And the idea that the altered universe is trying to "right" itself doesn't wash, either.

That's why I'd argue--rather strongly--that Leonard Nimoy's Spock Prime is not actually "our" Spock, but rather the alternate future version of Quinto's Spock, and that NuTREK as a whole is its own separate entity. Although, I'm told that BEYOND features a specific visual reference to the TOS cast as they appeared during the original movie era, which kinda puts the lie to that idea. 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 November 2016 at 11:39pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2016 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

It does Greg - it is found in Spock Prime's artifacts.

I have made comments that one of my main issues is that clearly, there are differences in JJ's timeline BEFORE Nero arrives but JB talked about dominoes falling forward and backward. I'm not convinced by that argument to be honest and I think JJ has simply used Nero as an excuse to change whatever he wants with no rhyme or reason.

Ship technology/design in JJ-verse is clearly different to TOS before Nero arrives, Klingons look different etc.

It really is trying to have one's cake and eat it.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2016 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Something new floating around the rumor mill.

If She is indeed joining the cast. That's a plus in my book.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2016 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Agreed, Anthony!

It surprises me (and worries me, too) that there hasn't been any real casting news yet.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2016 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Two more cast members have been announced Doug Jones as Lt.Saru and Anthony Rapp as Lt. Stamets

I'm very pleased with these three castings. I'm hoping the delay in the premiere date is because the design of the Discovery is getting an overhaul.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

The entire JJTrek franchise stinks of it including the ongoing comics.

Marten, it does but in retrospect; I'd rather watch those 3 JJTrek movies than rewatching those horrible TNG movies, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise combined.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Marten, it does but in retrospect; I'd rather watch those 3 JJTrek movies than rewatching those horrible TNG movies, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise combined.

Each his own. I don't care much for the TNG movies but DS9, Voyager, and even Enterprise have some episodes I enjoy watching.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Okay I'm not saying there weren't bad Trek movies before Abrams. But even at their worse. They were still bad STAR TREK movies. Abrams weren't bad Star Trek movies. They were just bad movies. 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Okay I'm not saying there weren't bad Trek movies before Abrams. But even at their worse. They were still bad STAR TREK movies. Abrams weren't bad Star Trek movies. They were just bad movies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For me the best TNG movie was First Contact because I am a big Borg fan and because I love the design of the Enterprise E.

But looking back at it I realize the flaws with the movie, especially with Picard and his obsession with the Borg and getting revenge on them.
The plot itself also did not make sense, why would the Borg want to prevent the rise from the Federation? They want the advanced technologies and resources the Federation offers, and the Federation is hardly a threat to them. It takes a lot of ships just to take out a single Borg cube, and defeat of the Collective often depended on unorthodox solutions rather than military prowess.

(even in "Resistance" Kirk and the Enterprise crew could only defeat an already damaged Borg sphere by using an alien weapon system it had incorporated against itself)

A lot of the characters such as Riker were also rather wasted though I have no idea what they would have done with Troi otherwise.

Looking back on it, it is pretty average. I still like the new ship designs and the Borg stuff but I would only suggest it to people who watched all of TNG already.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2016 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

For me the best TNG movie was First Contact because I am a big Borg fan and because I love the design of the Enterprise E.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's easy for me to say that this one is my favorite movie. I didn't think the others were very good. If Captain Kirk weren't a part of Generations. I'd like the film more.

First Contact is one of my favorite Trek movies.  I became of fan of TNG with the episodes Q Who ,The Best of Both Worlds and Family. First Contact was a nice conclusion to those TNG episodes.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

More on Fuller's departure:

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2016 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

If memory serves me correct, ST-TNG was announced around the time of TREK's 20th anniversary in September 1986. A promo picture of the cast IN COSTUME was released as well. The TNG premiere was scheduled for a year later in Fall 1987. Also, TREK IV, which was released in November 1986, set up the naming scheme NCC-1701-A which was followed thru on TNG with NCC-1701-D. 

Despite advances in VFX and other technology, I find it hard to believe that this show will premiere next year, in a good way, with so much NOT released to the public...cast info...publicity stills...info is just coming out in dribbles...

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Well I guess this means Sasha is going to get killed off this fall.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version