Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 32
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Apparently, there are legal IP restrictions even within a Star Trek property.

Someone on a Facebook 3d modeling group is building the Discovery version of Pike's Enterprise, and did an overlay of the two.  The proportions are quite similar, though the details diverge a lot. Doubtless the source of the "25% different" mentioned in the article.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Or maybe not.
Update from CBS:

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Alex Kurtzman: Obviously [Discovery] looks more modern than The Original Series, because we are in a modern world now and if we made the show look that way people would not feel that it was worth the money. That being said, every prop and costume design is filtered through what existed at the time. And do we create the new version of it or do we augment the original design in very subtle ways or do we just leave it alone? And when I say every prop and design choice I mean every prop and design choice. So, I think you will see a lot of tips of the hat to devices to The Original Series and the timeline. But, obviously we wanted to create a more modern experience and that necessitated certain adjustments.

Ugh.   I don't know what's worse, the look of the 'redesigns' or the lame explanations for why they want to keep the ENTERPRISE aesthetic.   As I've always said, there was a middle ground to be had here that would have been compelling to both new and old fans, and they blew it.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2018 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A modern experience could easily have been created by adhering to the original design and aesthetic and simply showing it in greater detail than had ever been done before, ala' DS9's high-definition Enterprise from "Trials and Tribble-ations."

This simply smacks of "how can I pee on this and make it mine?"

Joie Simmons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Is Discovery without a captain at the end of the first season? I still
haven't gotten around to watching it, but I read it takes place after
The Cage. Is Pike going to transfer to the Discovery?

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Is Discovery without a captain at the end of the first season? I still haven't gotten around to watching it, but I read it takes place after The Cage. Is Pike going to transfer to the Discovery?

Er... I guess it's not a spoiler now, but yes Discovery no longer has a captain.  (technically, it never did if you think about it)   

Pike taking the Discovery?  An interesting prospect, but wouldn't that create an as-yet-unnamed Enterprise captain between Pike and Kirk?   Given the other 'additions' to the canon that DISC and ENT have made, I guess this would be fairly unoffensive.  They could slot Robert April in there and I'd be ok with it.

TBH, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Saru takes the chair during Season 2.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 19 April 2018 at 5:44pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There is some unknown person who is at least slated to be the Discovery's new captain.  They were on their way to Vulcan to pick him up at the end of the finale when they received a distress signal from the Enterprise.  There weren't even any clues as to who that new captain is, and of course, any number of things can happen where whoever it is doesn't end up actually becoming the captain.  
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just finished the first season.  A few thoughts:

- Overall, I enjoyed it.  Not my Trek, but I think that ship has sailed.
- Don't get the hate (Miller!) for Sonequa Martin-Green.  I thought she was fantastic.
- Didn't like the portrayal of Sarek.  Far too emotional.  Not in his overall arc, but in little asides like the last scene in the season finale where he says he never tires of seeing his home world.  Just doesn't feel Vulcan to me.  Sarek would never say that in a million years.
- Hate, hate, HATE the idea of a spore drive out there predating TOS.  So they have this technology out there that is now waiting for a nonhuman host to drive it...a tech that they apparently haven't found a nonhuman host for in any other iteration of the series nor 13 films.  It essentially was the driver for this season, but then put on the back burner once it's usefulness was at an end?  Lame.  
- Loved the cast of characters.  I thought it was one of the best, most complete first season casts since TOS.  We got to know a number of characters, even the lesser lights, through action rather than a story arc devoted to them which was totally fine by me. 
- Really hated the continued use of subtitles for the Klingons.  It was cute in the beginning, but became incredibly tiresome as the series wore on.  I don't think it lessens the integrity of the series to have Klingons speak Klingon to each other but we (the audience) can hear it in English even where there are no humans around.  It's just such a ponderous language that I felt time was wasted by enunciation rather than just getting the words out.
- For as much as I enjoyed the set up to the finale, I thought the final solution was inelegant.  I kept thinking that all someone had to do was kill L'Rell before she hit the button to detonate the bomb and the Klingons could have won the war.  Also, L'Rell said she had something to unite the Klingons, but never told them what it was.  We hear the chamber laughing when she says she can lead them, but they fall silent when she raises a handheld monitor.  Why?  How could they possibly know what threat lay beneath their planet?  It was just too easy a finish for something 15 episodes in the making.
- The effects were amazing.  Easily the best of any Trek series and they certainly rival the films.  
- Hated the opening theme and the credits.  Everything about them including the fanwank nod to the original TOS theme. Blech.

Overall, an intriguing but flawed new entry in the Trek Universe.  Outside of the first season of TOS, you can say that about every other first season of any iteration.  I'm willing to hang in there for a second go, curious where the focus is with Pike, but still have to color myself cautious as to whether or not I can fully commit.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

They've released some promotional set photos for Season 2, which includes a pretty good look at the Enterprise uniforms and Pike's back, possibly a bit of Spock as well.  They seem to be actively seguing from the first season DSC uniforms to the TOS uniforms.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 32
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version