Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: OT: Comprehending The Incomprehensible (Science) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

Roy Johnson: "Most people can't visualize more than 7 object in their mind's eye at a time..."

I'm surely not most people, but I can visualize the Justice League, or the Avengers, or a lot of the Legion of Super Heroes (not all... I'm not superhuman, after all! :) I can't imagine it's that hard for other people. I mean, one can visualize 10 numbers or 26 letters, I think.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

Most people can't visualize more than 7 object in their mind's eye at a time
----------------------------------
I think people viewing more than 7 items at once have trouble identifying quickly how many they are seeing in the same way as they might if they saw 2 or 3, but clearly most people should be able to visualise a dice roll showing two sixes, i.e. 12 dots.

That said, the human mind is not constructed to deal precisely with anything beyond small numbers. If we look at a field of sheep, normal people cannot tell the difference between 25 sheep and 27 sheep, for example, without actually going through and counting them out laboriously (though it should be noted, there are savants that have been able to instantly count large numbers from a quick glance). 

There is a tendency, for us to make a cognitive short cut if we see anything more than about 7 and label it 'lots'. This leads to cognitive biases such as recency bias -- where if given a long list of data, we allot an irrational amount of weight to the most recent 5 - 7 pieces of data.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2016 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've heard our limit of visualization was set at 3 at any one time and this was the test put forth.

Imagine a piece of cord.

Imagine twisting the cord so it has a spiral on it like a piece of string.

Now hold onto your awareness of the spiral while imagining coiling the twisted cord into a spiral. Now you're holding awareness of two spirals.

Now imagine that spiral extends and also coils into a spiral -- it is possible to hold this spiral in mind and still have awareness of the spiral on the cord itself-- three spirals in mind at once.

But try to go once more... without losing awareness of either the smallest or biggest spiral. We can get the biggest 3 or smallest 3, but the one on either end tends to slip out as you shift your attention.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version