Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Arf! Arf! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 1  

The February issue of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC has a two page article on the rise and fall in popularity of various dog breeds, as recorded over the last century by the American Kennel Club.

Starting with the 1910s they present a graph showing what were the top ten breeds in each decade up to the 2000s. If I am reading it right, only the Beagle had a presence in the Top 10 of each decade, not falling below seventh place, and hitting the top spot in the 1950s. (My first two dogs, in the early Sixties, were both Beagles.)

Currently, and for the past two decades, the Labrador Retriever has been top dog, followed by Rottweilers and German Shepherds in the Nineties, and Golden Retrievers and German Shepherds in the Oughts.

According to the compilers of the lists the single factor that seems to have the greatest influence on why Americans buy particular breeds is Hollywood. After the release of LASSIE COME HOME, in 1943, there was a spike in Collie sales, for instance. The popularity of that breed had been sliding over the previous three decades.

It's worth a glance at the graph if one is a dog lover. And let's face it, only soulless vermin who have no right to live on God's green Earth are NOT dog lovers!

Back to Top profile | search

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 2  

My wife talked about getting a beagle for years, so she came home with a black Lab one day. Yeah.  Me, being a cat person my whole life, never wanted a dog at all.  Which is why we have one now.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

In the UK in the 80`s the Rottweiller was the popular dog for thugs,now it`s the Staffordshire Bull Terrier,sadly a lot end up in dog pounds.There seems to be a surge of `handbag` breeds at the moment.Give me a mongrel any day!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

Interesting.

I can only talk about my own city. I see a lot of Labradors, quite a few Dalmatians and certainly a lot of Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

I rarely see my favourite breed (Great Dane).

As a kid, I saw a lot of Alsatians but it's so rare to see one now.

Oh, I assume Labrador Retrievers are the most intelligent breed, given they are often 'employed' as guide dogs for blind people.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

I read that the other night. A beagle took up with us when I was a teenager. She was a really sweet and gentle dog. If I were to get a dog, I'd seriously think about a beagle.

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 6  

Pembroke Corgi, the first "pure bred" dog I have ever owned.  It is smart, sassy, and our family's permanent 2 year old.   I don't have access to the list, but did the Corgi make it? 

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

We had two golden retrievers as members of our family. They were our first fur kids (and kids in general). Loved them to death and still am devastated by the loss...

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

I was just saying to my girlfriend the other day how it's interesting how many people have beagles as pets, when they don't seem as hugely suited to the pure pet role as some other breeds. A lot I see in the park are on-leash -- I've heard they follow their noses and bugger off at the drop of a hat. Their barking sound is... let's say unusual. Cute little things though.

I see a lot of dog breeds as I walk my dog in the park at least once a day. I see lots of labradors, German shepherds, boxers, golden retrievers. The breeds that seem to have taken off the most recently -- from my anecdotal evidence -- are golden doodles, labradoodles and French bulldogs. The former two seem to have benefitted from their non-shedding coats. This also is in the favour of poodles and Portuguese water dogs, of which I also see a fair few. Porties got a big boost from President Obama, I think.

My dog is a German shorthaired pointer. A lot of people here seem to have had one as kids but no longer have one -- lots of people stop me to say how they used to have one, or their Dad kept them when he was a kid, or something like that. 

Being where I am, I see a lot bigger dogs than I used to see when I lived in the UK. Newfoundlands, malamutes, mastiffs and great danes are not uncommon here (here being suburban Dartmouth, NS).

Edited by Peter Martin on 11 February 2016 at 1:54pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

By the way, this is my insanely athletic dog in action, doing her Krypto impersonation:

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

I wonder if any dogs are seen as not worthy of being homed due to superstition.

It's not the same, I know, but a recent UK news report stated that black cats (fully black, no white fur) are in many cat homes/pounds because superstition dictates that people don't want them. Which is a shame, really.

I wonder if any dogs have a bad reputation right now, based on superstition or media representation.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Robbie,when i have visited the local dog`s home in search of a new companion,it was as i said in my previous post,`90 and `93 there were a lot of Rottweillers,then in `09 there were a lot of Staffies,not due to superstition,but because they are regarded as untrustworthy in temperament.I must add,that in `09 i visited The Dog`s Trust near Shrewsbury and Sunnyside near Wolverhampton,and the Staffies were prevalent in both.

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2016 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

My sister has a Golden Retriever and it's a sweet,beautiful dog,but tends to be manipulative.As my mother says 'it loves you,but on conditions'. Have always been around that breed growing up,i guess it's a sort of tradition.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version