Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: John Bryne, what is your political leaning? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

Well,  John which way do you lean?  Right or Left?

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

Moderate Republican.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Mackey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

....sorry.. I clearly meant "Byrne"....very long day..

Mike Mackey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Fan of Sean Hannity by any chance?

Mike Mackey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have created the worlds first conservative comic.

My question is am I ending my career as a writer before it begins, with such a divisive subject?

(Here is a short synopsis)

America’s future has become an Orwellian nightmare of ultra-liberalism.  Beginning with the Gore Presidency, the government has become increasingly dominated by liberal extremists.  In 2004, Muslim terrorists stopped viewing the weakened American government as a threat; instead they set their sites on their true enemies, vocal American conservatives.   Terrorist assassins have thinned the ranks of the vocal Right.  The few conservatives that survived attempts on their lives have been forced underground by the oppressive “Coulter Laws” of 2007. In order to further their cause, they have joined forces and formed a powerful covert conservative organization called “The Freedom of Information League”, aka F.O.I.L.

The New York City faction of F.O.I.L. is lead by Sean Hannity, G. Gordon Liddy and Oliver North, each uniquely endowed with special abilities devised by a biomechanical engineer affectionately named “Oscar”.  F.O.I.L. is soon to be joined by a young man named Reagan McGee.  Reagan was born on September 11th, 2001.   Reagan has grown to manhood in an ultra-liberal educational system: being told, not asked, what to think.  With personal determination, which alienates him from his contemporaries, he has chosen the path less traveled…the path to the Right.

Two decades of negotiation with the U.N., and America’s administration of 2021 (President Chelsea Clinton and Vice President Michael Moore), has culminated in a truce with fundamentalist Islamic terrorists, or so America is told. The honorable ambassador from Afghanistan has come to NYC to address the U.N., his name is Usama Bin Laden.

Although, Ambassador Bin Laden has announced that he will publicly apologize for the “misunderstanding” of the events of 9/11.  In actuality, he intends on detonating a tactical nuke that is contained in his private diplomatic briefcase.  It is a race against the clock to save NYC from a nuclear holocaust and the world from liberal domination. Only with F.O.I.L.’s help, can “Liberality For All” once again become “Liberty For All!”

END

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hey cool, I'd be a villain.  Can I have neat powers?

The devil gets the good lines.

(edited for content)

Edited by Ed Aycock on 22 March 2005 at 2:08pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Mike, I support your right to write it and publish it, but I wouldn't buy it.
Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

That sounds quite atrocious.  I hope it's a joke of some kind.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Mike Mackey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Ed Aycock wrote:
Hey cool , I'd be a villain.  Can I have neat powers?

Sure, but you will either need to be in the UN or Al-Qaeda. 

But seriously, I think as a niche market I could produce a book a lot of people will enjoy but will an editor/ publisher look beyond their own political views and concern them selves with profit first? 

Both the Liberal Left’s Fahrenheit 911 and the Conservative Right’s Passion of the Christ were shopped around to distributors, but were viewed by short-sighted production / distribution houses as too controversial.  Each production went on to make fortunes selling wildly to their ravenous bases. Their wakes of success left many of the same production companies scratching their heads and regretting their refusal to see each production’s profit potential.

So what is first in the comic publishing industry? Profit or Personal Belief Systems

Mike Mackey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

Zaki Hasan wrote:
That sounds quite atrocious.  I hope it's a joke of some kind.

No joke, very serious project, I have thousands invested in.

Tell me how I can do a Google search on "conservative comic book" and get no results relating to a conservative comic book?  Do you know how many very conservative people there are out there?  If Michael Moore can make 100million spewing ultra lib propaganda, Why not something ultra-conservative in the Comic Genre?

Why has it not been done before?

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

Study your enemy a little better.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

I believe Passion, and to a lesser extent Fahrenheit, played beyond their "bases."

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 13  

It was done before - the comics of the forties/fifties were full of it - jap bashing/commie bashing/viet cong/ you name it...world's moved on, squire...

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 14  

John Byrne wrote:
Moderate Republican.

Me too.  Ah, how special.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 15  

I want to write Super Liberal. Able to smell BS from a mile away. Able to leap over right wing conservatives with a single bound. Wanting to help the poor and uneducated, while being accused of being too much in favor of big government. While his opponents abuse thier power in the government to over ride the court system in favor of their political gain. It's Super Liberal! His only weakness is women interns.

Super Liberal coming to a comic shop near you!

Edited by Paul Greer on 22 March 2005 at 2:22pm

Teod Tomlinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 16  

A great comic to be the bad guy in for sure. I would like to the wacky liberal that accidentally kills Shawn Hannity in my distorted attempt at finding his soul. I could become confused when I realize that he is not human but some strange robot that runs on pig excrement built by a brilliant right wing fringe group that plans world domination through bad comic books. You can call me “The Teodo”

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 17  

If the basic premise, as presented, is that America is being overrun by a liberal agenda such that "Usama Bin Laden" would be "the honorable ambassador from Afghanistan" then I'd have to say a) that's terribly insulting to assume that if Gore won instead of Bush, we'd not only be placating a terrorist who killed thousands, but allow him to be ambassador, and b) I don't know what America you're currently living in, with a two-term Republican president and both the Senate and the House run by a Republican majority...so why all the anger, bile and contempt for those who hold views that differ from your own?

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 18  

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 19  

Hannity's problem, or success I guess, is that he is one of those "whatever my side  does, it is right" kind of guys. He also uses rhetoric that is pretty extreme.

That works for him and has made him a lot of money. It can be entertaning, and he may sometimes bring up something that otherwise would be overlooked.

But, all in all, he cannot be taken seriously as a source to learn from or take too seriously.

....and that's the memo......

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 20  

Matt Reed wrote:
so why all the anger, bile and contempt for those who hold views that differ from your own?

Why did the Editor in chief of Playgirl get fired right after she announced she was a Republican? 

I thought he was just joking but I see your point Matt. But I still think it is satire

*Maybe she was terrible at her job, who knows I'm not that up on the doings of Playgirl magazine, but it looks bad.

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 22 March 2005 at 2:37pm

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 21  

Why did the Editor in chief of Playgirl get fired right after she announced she was a Republican? 

Maybe she was just a lousy EiC and happened to be mouthing off about politics while her professional situation was going down the toilet.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 22  

All else aside, I'm pretty sure you're proabaly about 65 years late with the
"World's First Conservative Comic."

...and maybe you might want to read Cerebus 150-300.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 23  

Rob Hewitt wrote:

Does your wife-to-be know you leaf through Playgirl?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 24  

Republicans publishing a nudie mag! My God! Were has the morality of this country gone? Next thing you know women will actually start buying Playgirl. When will this insanity end?

Mike Mackey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 25  

Matt Reed wrote:
If the basic premise, as presented, is that America is being overrun by a liberal agenda such that "Usama Bin Laden" would be "the honorable ambassador from Afghanistan" then I'd have to say a) that's terribly insulting to assume that if Gore won instead of Bush, we'd not only be placating a terrorist who killed thousands, but allow him to be ambassador, and b) I don't know what America you're currently living in, with a two-term Republican president and both the Senate and the House run by a Republican majority...so why all the anger, bile and contempt for those who hold views that differ from your own?

I don’t mean to insult Gore or those that voted for him (although that is an unfortunate result of the series), In my storyline, he is only one of many more liberals follow him. (think more John Kerry here)

Do you really believe that if UBL were to make an appeal to the U.N. promising an end to world terrorism,  That Kofi would not leap at the offer?  (At any costs.)

But I think you make my point.  Yes, the republicans are in power, but had to fight against the overwhelming mainstream liberal media to do it, and still the Republicans won; this proves a strong conservative base in America.  So by now you would think some one would have at least recognized the interest in a book with an extremely conservative message.

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version