Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Byrne Coloring Book (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2017 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 1  

I finished the third page today. Pens are taking a beating :)
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2017 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

I finished the third page today. Pens are taking a beating :)

Share them in the "Colored Pages From STOWAWAY…" thread or it didn't
happen.

(I kid. I kid.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 3  

Starting to look increasingly as if I was right up at the top of this thread. I really am making like Dagwood with this project, racing to catch the last car as the train pulls out of the station.

Put another way, not likely to be any more coloring books in my foreseeable future. Seems the fad has pretty much run its course.

Makes me wish I had jumped aboard a few years earlier -- tho if I had we would not have gotten STOWAWAY, so it's a bit of a win/lose.

Ah, well. Onward!

(As usual, this post is not an invitation to a flurry of helpful suggestions!)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 4  

Put another way, not likely to be any more coloring books in my foreseeable future. Seems the fad has pretty much run its course.

Really? Both my girls got more than one coloring book for Christmas a couple weeks back.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 5  

Really? Both my girls got more than one coloring book for Christmas a couple weeks back.

••

Never try to judge the macrocosm based on the microcosm. This is how people end up surprised when their favorite TV show is cancelled. "But I watched it every week!"

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 6  

Got my copy yesterday after giving away the three copies I got in December as gifts.  I confess that I peeked at the gift copies because I was too curious about the art.  I thought the art was amazing when I got a first look, but it wasn't until I could crack the spine and get a good look that I realized the richness of each page.  It's like a collection of comission pieces -- each one stands alone as a mini-story in and of itself.  We got sneaks of the first few pages on this thread, and it was so cool to see how that was just a tease for what was to come.  The space ship art is like walking into one of JB's spaceships from his Marvel days.  It also echoes what we saw in THE HIGH WAYS -- that series was among JB's strongest recent work, and had some amazing art that could exist in the STOWAWAY TO THE STARS  universe.  The joy of this is book is in the detail -- the coloring book format makes for a treat for the eyes.  The sci fi universe is a perfect fit for JB's talent for drawing big, lavish worlds.

While that art is surely the main attraction, I was even more impressed that the story is some of JB's best writing.  I had the impression that the story wouild be a nominal part of this experience - it's just the opposite.  Eliza's narration is my favorite part!!  She is a driven rebel with her head in the stars, and her voice is a refreshing voice for a sci-fi story.  Raspberry, Harris, and Soo are also stand out characters.

I will be coloring this for fun (I'm not an artist), but I have to say I really like this in B&W.  It freminds me of when I finally got to read JB's run on IRON FIST.  I first read it in the B&W ESSENTIAL edition -- now seeing that work in color just looks WRONG to me!  The only thing I may do off the bat is color in the blacks.

My bigest regret is that I didn't realize before that the main character is named Eliza -- I just got back from a long holiday trip, and half of it was spent with my girlfriend's young niece, who is also named Eliza!!  I am kicking myself for not giving her a copy for Christmas.  She's 13 - it would have been perfect.  Ugh!

Excellent story, JB!  What a fantastic book - highly recommended for fans of JB's art, and all also for all the Elizas out there!

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Seems the fad has pretty much run its course."

Certainly disappointing to hear.  But I am curious as to your basis for this thought.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB, while the coloring book might not see a repeat, how do you feel about doing a comic book in this style with Leonard O'Grady colors?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2017 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

Unbelievable hand cramp from colouring the star field of "LAUNCH"...

BYYYRNE!!!

:)

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2017 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

Got my 3 copies today!... Yeah!... Now where is my Pencil sharpener?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2017 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

•••

I don't think it would be altogether inappropriate to color over the stars and then use some form of white-out to restore them.

Mark McConnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2017 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

•••

I don't think it would be altogether inappropriate to color over the stars and then use some form of white-out to restore them.

I've heard that JB does that for inking his own work even!

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version