Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Rogue One - SPOILERS begin on Pg 7 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2016 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 1  

I've watched a couple of the clips but not too many. The latest shows K-2SO and it's interesting that his eyes move. There has been discussion before in this forum about how CG characters feel flat, lifeless when their eyes don't make constant, tiny movements.

It's increrdible how these little movements make so much different, even in a robot where the rest of the face does not.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2016 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

Just got invited to a free Wed night sneak peek. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

Just a word of caution:

The press review embargo will be lifted on Tuesday, but some of the online comments posted to the Saturday Premiere Night news articles are giving away spoilers to events and cameos in the movie.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2016 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

I stopped reading articles Saturday night. I rediscovered the joy of going to see movies unspoilt with THE FORCE AWAKENS and been doing it since. Totally different experience that I love.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Just watched it...good wait for you all, I won't spoil !

Scott Morrissey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2016 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Was an intense film for Star Wars. Very unique and it does stand alone.
Parental caution advised.

Good little film though.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 7  

Well, I'll be going to see this with friends, probably on Sunday. I'm less hesitant about this one than I was about TFA. If it's a fun romp that doesn't mess with too much of the lore, then I'll be okay.

Still, I guess I'm gonna have to do this dance every year, now. Until the end of time. Sigh.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 15 December 2016 at 12:23am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm going tonight and tomorrow night.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 9  

I'll be seeing it next week. Pretty much not bothering with VIII and IX, so hopefully this closes the door for me on a high note.

Ivan Black
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

Watched it last night, looking forward to hear what you all think. Its PG-13 tag fits the bill. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Once the spoiler warning appears I'll say more, but for now, this is the only movie since the original trilogy that I can unreservedly say I enjoyed.  This is how a prequel should be done.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think that's a good cue to open this up for discussion to SPOILERS, especially since the release is imminent and the media reviews are being posted.

SPOILERS from this point on - you have been warned!

Drew Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 13  

Good movie, worth seeing if you're a Star Wars fan or even if you just like sci-fi war/action movies.

It took a while for it to "feel" like a Star Wars movie for me with no opening title crawl and no John Williams score (there are pieces of it and even hints of it throughout).

The opening third of the movie is a tad clunky in that it sets up the situation of why Galen Erso helps Krennic build the Death Star in the first place. I found his reasoning for helping a bit fuzzy since Jyn was successfully hidden from Krennic. If he wanted to sabotage the Death Star why not rig it to blow up when actually fired since he and the rest of the engineers weren't even on board when it was fired for the 1st time? (of course the REAL reason is that the weakness was already laid out 39 years ago in the original Star Wars).

The final third of the movie is where things REALLY pick up and it feels like a Star Wars movie to me at least with the small band of heroes fighting against impossible odds to complete the mission and get us to the point of A New Hope.

I liked all the new rebel characters we were introduced to and because you sort of know that they're on a suicide mission given that we've not seen any mention of them in Original Trilogy movies/supplemental materials you're not really surprised when they die. However, their deaths still have some impact, particularly the blind Chirrut Imwe. I was a bit surprised they didn't leave some possible "out" for Jyn & Cassian, but their deaths looked pretty definite as well.

I was expecting not to really like Imwe based on the trailers but was pleasantly surprised that his death made me feel the most sad.

K-2SO was another highlight and got most of the best lines in the movie.

The use of digital CGI or whatever so we could see Tarkin and Princess Leia was kind of creepy. It was certainly noticeable, but you kind of have to accept it because they almost had to do it to serve A New Hope.

I didn't care for the "cutsie" cameos of Dr. Evazan, Ponda Baba, R2-D2 & C-3PO. They took me right out of the movie especially since you have to just accept Evazan and Baba made it off Jedha before the temple ruins were ruined further by the Death Star and that the droids must have hurried up to get on the main rebel command ship so they could also end up on the Tantive IV at the end. They were just too "cute" for me. The Gold & Red Leader shots they used were fine with me however. You have to assume they were some of the best of the best pilots the Alliance had and would have been in this battle too. The Red 5 pilot getting skragged was a bit too "cute" too.

I'm surprised we got as much Vader as we did. It was nice to see him really cut loose on those Rebel troopers but you would think he could have just used The Force to get the plans before they could be handed off. There were pockets of applause when he did The Force Choke on Krennic (I was not one of them).

All in all a good movie. Certainly worth seeing. No post credits scene (not that I expected one, but I stayed after just in case).

Edited by Drew Hart on 15 December 2016 at 10:23pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 14  

QUOTE:
I found his reasoning for helping a bit fuzzy since Jyn was
successfully hidden from Krennic.

As I understood it, he thought that the two outcomes for Jyn would be
either that she was dead or that she was so well-hidden that he'd never
see her again. So putting himself in the position to sabotage the Death
Star was partially an act of vengeance. He knew that the Empire would
eventually figure out that they could move forward without him, so he
stayed so that he would not lose the opportunity to do what he did.

QUOTE:
If he wanted to sabotage the Death Star why not rig it to blow
up when actually fired since he and the rest of the engineers weren't
even on board when it was fired for the 1st time?

His intent was to create a flaw that no one would notice unless they
knew to look for it. Presumably a Death Star designed to explode when
fired would show up in the prototype stage, if not uncovered before by
the other teams working on the Death Star.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 15  

I enjoyed the movie, but the storage and transmission of the Death Star
plans was a bit silly for me in the final act. The data center with drives
that need to be manually retrieved made no sense other than to provide
a set piece for the climax. I was reminded of the chompers scene in
GALAXY QUEST.

The Death Star plans required so much data that they were stored on a
big archival drive, and when Jyn and Cassian were unable to leave with
it physically, their only option was to use the giant transmission tower to
upload the plans to the Rebel Fleet. But once the Rebels had it, they
were able to copy everything to a thin data disk that would eventually
end up with R2-D2. So the Empire has bad Wi-Fi, while the Rebels
have superior Flash drives.

CGI Leia was scary.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 16  

CGI Leia was scary.

Yes, she was. Tarkin, however...

Edited by Brian Miller on 16 December 2016 at 7:39am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 17  

I greatly enjoyed it. There were some nice nods to the original film as well as some nice references to the original script. 

Vader's citadel looked much like what I've envisioned these many years, and the acolytes there were a nice touch. And Vader, himself, was most impressive. Back to the evil badass he was before ROTJ castrated him. James Earl Jones even seemed to shift the timbre of his voice to match that of the first film rather than the deeper feel it had in the two sequels. 

Really nice to see/ hear the nods to the REBELS tv show. That was great. 

As mentioned above, it took a while to really, really feel like a Star Wars movie, but once it hits, it hits big time. I guess it was done pretty well since I was really sad when they died. I was emotionally invested even tho, going in, I didn't think any of them would survive. 

If there's a movie fans of only the original movie would like, I would think this would be it. It features none of SAGA nonsense and serves as prologue for that film. 

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 18  

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I want more Rebellion War
Movies now.

CGI Tarkin was amazing I thought. Leia less so.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 19  

I really liked how they worked around the issue of the Death Star taking so long to complete. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 20  

As I mentioned above, this was the first movie since the original three that felt like a Star Wars movie to me, and is probably the only one of any of the sequels that really felt like the first film.  The zombie of Peter Cushing creeped me out a little, but since he's a villain, it didn't take me out of the movie. 

To me it was about the little things, like the fact that, as in the original movie, all of the rebels' technology looked old, beat up, and generally like they stole it from an imperial surplus depot somewhere.  It also felt like a war movie for the first time in a long time.  It really gave the feel of poorly equipped rebels fighting against all hope against a vastly more powerful evil Empire, and winning their victories at great cost.

And I liked that the comic relief came in a very dry, deadpan way, rather than silliness or goofiness at the expense of the characters or the universe. 

To me, the only flaws don't really count as flaws, because they're basically Star Wars tropes.  I.e. the stormtroopers go to all the trouble of wearing that armor even though it protects them from absolutely nothing, apparently no one in the Star Wars universe is afraid of heights because everything is built with these gangways and promontories extended out thousands of feet over nothing, etc.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 21  

Steve,i have often thought that The Empire must have pretty crappy health and safety at work officers,all those huge drops and no guard rails!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 22  

There's no OSHA in that galaxy far, far away. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 23  

The Onion is not convinced ROGUE ONE will wipe away the 2015 disappointment of the "Droids of the Resistance" 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle...

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 16 December 2016 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 24  

I thought the movie was ... fine.  My standards for a STAR WARS movie are awfully low, since I basically think four of the first six are garbage.  It doesn't take much more than a couple Tie Fighters and a lightsaber for me to be at least moderately engaged.  For the first two thirds of the movie, that's about all I was -- moderately engaged.  I can't say I found too much fun to be had, until the last act.

Double award for the Worst Plan and Worst Motivational Speech Ever (short version: we'll wing it until we're all dead).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2016 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 25  

They un-macguffined the original Star Wars macguffin.  There is a reason that Darth Vader is chasing the plans, they were the only copy, so without recovering them, they will never know if there was a flaw in the design somewhere?  At least that was the impression I got. 

It was The Dirty Dozen, with Star Wars, and that's not a bad thing.  I didn't like the score.  I didn't like just about any lines that Stormtroopers had, and I thought the Evazan/Ponda cameo was crap. 

I can live with CGI Tarkin, even if the voice wasn't always right, but I didn't think CGI Leia was necessary at all. 

They also spliced in Gold Leader and Red Leader footage from Star Wars, but gave them additional lines.  It made me wonder whether they used the original actors (some of whom are still alive) for those lines.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version