Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Noah’s Ark replica setting sail (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 1  

If the Bible can be used to verify the veracity of the stories in the Bible, I think we could all make a good case for the existence of Superman using comic books as our proof.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 2  

What if the `Ark` was just a receptacle for DNA? Feeding the 5,000 was replicator technology? Angels were astronauts with illuminated helmets giving us halos? The star of Bethlehem a spaceship in orbit? The virgin birth a test tube baby?A much more realistic story!

•••

When just a lad, Paul Kupperberg's son compared the Bible and Scientology. Given what we know, he asked, which is more likely to be true, an invisible man in the sky, or aliens?

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 3  

And then God destroyed all them evil creatures, too. Those SOB caterpillars, those freakin' dolphins and porpoises, those cheating, lying elephants - and don't even get me started on the chickens! WIPE 'EM ALL OUT!!!

What did a pig ever do to deserve being extinctified? Or a cow? Or a penguin?

Edited by Eric Sofer on 30 April 2016 at 9:40am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 4  

If the Bible can be used to verify the veracity of the stories in the Bible, I think we could all make a good case for the existence of Superman using comic books as our proof.

Don't dismiss it, Thom. I *did* see that used as an argument online many years ago. Someone (quite seriously) equated Benjamin Franklin's autobiography with the Bible. He said that Franklin didn't waste time proving his existence, his autobiography was self-evident that he existed. Yes, this was used to 'prove' the Bible was really 'god's' word.

The flood (not an original story) sickens me. It's been sanitized. When I was at primary school, it was a cuddly book with a few cute giraffes and elephants looking out to sea. Bullshit! It's a vile story. Drowning or burning must be among the worst ways to die. Could the mighty Jehovah not have simply put humanity into a deep sleep forever? Or could he not have simply transported all those animals to another habitable planet? I mean, he is god, right? He can create planets. 

Nothing about 'god' or religion works on a logical level. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 5  

Don't dismiss it, Thom. I *did* see that used as an argument online many years ago. Someone (quite seriously) equated Benjamin Franklin's autobiography with the Bible. He said that Franklin didn't waste time proving his existence, his autobiography was self-evident that he existed. Yes, this was used to 'prove' the Bible was really 'god's' word.

••

There's an autobiography of Jame T. Kirk on Amazon.

≠≠≠≠

The flood (not an original story) sickens me. It's been sanitized. When I was at primary school, it was a cuddly book with a few cute giraffes and elephants looking out to sea. Bullshit! It's a vile story. Drowning or burning must be among the worst ways to die. Could the mighty Jehovah not have simply put humanity into a deep sleep forever? Or could he not have simply transported all those animals to another habitable planet? I mean, he is god, right? He can create planets.

••

This raises a question I've brought up before. The Creation of the Universe left the Lord pretty shagged out. Pooped. Had to rest for a day.

But, in order to get around some of those bits of awkward geological evidence, Creationists will sometimes argue that a "day" back then may not have been the same as a day today. Might have been more than 24 hours. Might have been a week. A year. A million years.

So... how long did the Big Guy "rest"? Notice how, after the Creation, God farms out a lot more of the heavy lifting. He shows Joshua how to bring the walls of Jericho tumblin' down, but he doesn't just squash the whole town flat.

So, too, the flood. He "opens" the heavens, which for him is probably about like us turning a tap, but that's pretty much it. He lets Nature do the hard part.

Is God still resting?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 6  

He probably is.

Yes, a Jehovah's Witness told me that the 'days' represent eras. I think they just make it up as they go along. 

I am still told that I am misrepresenting Christians when I say that Genesis 2 is a retcon. It is. Unless I am missing something. 'god' made the animals after man in the second chapter, but the animals came first in the first chapter. 

Getting back to the 'days', it is awkward. I mean, taking a break for a few centuries or eras between 'days' is rather lazy. It is, as you stated, a way to get around the awkward geological evidence.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 7  

I am still told that I am misrepresenting Christians when I say that Genesis 2 is a retcon. It is. Unless I am missing something. 'god' made the animals after man in the second chapter, but the animals came first in the first chapter.

••

Some try to argue that the first two chapters of Genesis are like a newspaper article. There, the first paragraph gives an overview of the story, and the rest fill in the details.

Of course, this would be as if the first chapter reported a bake sale and the rest was about a murder.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 8  

Getting back to the 'days', it is awkward. I mean, taking a break for a few centuries or eras between 'days' is rather lazy. It is, as you stated, a way to get around the awkward geological evidence.

••

There is a glimmer of hope in all that, tho. If the Creationists feel the need to EXPLAIN the geological evidence, it means some part of their tiny minds is actually ACCEPTING it. "Yes, those layers of rock DO show more than 6,000 years, but here's why. . . "

It's just a teeny, tiny chink in their armor, but if we keep chipping away at it. . .

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 9  

"Is God still resting?"

He's been hitting the "snooze" button for a few millennia.

Edited by Eric Smearman on 30 April 2016 at 11:14am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 10  

`Is God still resting?`
Maybe on his planet a day is a few millennia?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 11  

Of course, this would be as if the first chapter reported a bake sale and the rest was about a murder.

That made me smile. ;)

Yes, I've heard the "it's an overview" argument, but they clearly 'report' different things. Don't have the exact quote to hand, but something about Adam being lonely so 'god' made some animals for him. Whatever spin they put on it, spin that would make Donald Trump proud, the order of creation is clearly different in both chapters.

If I wrote an autobiograpy, and stated in my first chapter that I'd been given a dog as a child, but in the second chapter stated that the dog came into my life as an adult when I visited the pound, I'd be accused of a memory lapse, a lie, a contradiction. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 30 April 2016 at 11:36am

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm just gonna leave THIS right here.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version