Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Noah’s Ark replica setting sail (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 1  

There seems to be a lot riding on this voyage. Pun intended.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 2  

Nope, sorry, only ONE eighteen inch square window allowed according to Genesis:

6:15 And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.

6:16 A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Interesting to find so much different info regarding the length of a cubit. This replica ark seems off from the requisite 300 x 50 x 30 cubits in the bible. In the bible, the width of the ark is more than the height. This replica ark is taller than it is wide. Even if we disregard the height and only consider the 125 meter long / 29 meter wide measurements of the replica, it is too short by the biblical blueprints set down by dog.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 29 April 2016 at 12:57pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

Don't talk to me about Noah's Ark. I wish Moses, whilst writing that book, had filled in a few details.

I mean, so many questions.

Two of every animal, right (or was it seven)? Okay. Does that mean two foxes, two dingoes, two wolves, two dogs, two coyotes, etc? Or simply two wolf-life ancestors who would split into all those animals?

Did he remember to take flightless birds onto the Ark? I mean, some might have been fine (penguins can swim), but ostriches and emus might have been in trouble?

And, most importantly, did he take *any* dinosaurs onto the Ark?

For answers, I might check out the MANY flood myths that predated Moses' writings...

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

And where did he find Gopher Wood ?

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

Robbie Parry wrote:
And, most importantly, did he take *any* dinosaurs onto the Ark?

This article (warning: has autoplay video at top) provides a highly cogent answer to this (and other) important Ark question:

QUOTE:
One commonly raised problem is ‘How could you fit all those huge dinosaurs on the Ark?’ First, of the 668 supposed dinosaur genera, only 106 weighed more than ten tons when fully grown. Second, as said above, the number of dinosaur genera is probably greatly exaggerated. But these numbers are granted by Woodmorappe to be generous to skeptics. Third, the Bible does not say that the animals had to be fully grown. The largest animals were probably represented by ‘teenage’ or even younger specimens. The median size of all animals on the ark would actually have been that of a small rat, according to Woodmorappe‘s up-to-date tabulations, while only about 11% would have been much larger than a sheep.

There you have it. There were dinosaurs on the Ark. Truly, anything is possible if you fill your mind with nonsensical fairy tales...er, I mean truly believe in the glory of God.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

A "replica" of Noah's Ark? Surely, more of an approximation, based on conjecture!

Unless I missed the news story where they finally found the original real deal, intact and resting on some mountaintop, and used as a blueprint for this supposed "replica"...

Edited by Shaun Barry on 29 April 2016 at 7:04pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

There you have it. There were dinosaurs on the Ark. Truly, anything is possible if you fill your mind with nonsensical fairy tales...er, I mean truly believe in the glory of God.

•••

This is why I make the point that one cannot argue science against religion -- "God did it" trumps all rational thinking.

One must only argue religion against religion -- and not conflicting faiths against each other, but the inconsistencies within supposedly coherent beliefs.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2016 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

If you really want to frustrate yourself, read the comments section at the bottom of the article I linked to further above, wherein the author ("Dr" Jonathan D. Sarfati) uses incredible sophistry to refute every and any sensible argument.

One response of his I do like counters those who use the old "but it's not meant to be taken literally" Bible defense. Specifically this exchange:

Joe M.: "The concept of Biblical Literalism, as it is understood today, was foreign to the Church Fathers. Jesus told all sorts of stories to illustrate profound truths. So did Augustine and the other Fathers. That they were fiction didn't change the message. Noah is about sin and redemption."

Jonathan Sarfati: "I don’t know who these biblical literalists are, but I am a biblical originalist who follows the historical-grammatical approach. You also need to study the Church Fathers yourself, since they—including Augustine—accepted a global flood. Fathers like Basil the Great had no time for fanciful allegorization:"

I know the laws of allegory, though less by myself than from the works of others. There are those truly, who do not admit the common sense of the Scriptures, for whom water is not water, but some other nature, who see in a plant, in a fish, what their fancy wishes, who change the nature of reptiles and of wild beasts to suit their allegories, like the interpreters of dreams who explain visions in sleep to make them serve their own ends. For me grass is grass; plant, fish, wild beast, domestic animal, I take all in the literal sense. “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel” [Romans 1:16]. (Hexaëmeron 9:1)

Jonathan Sarfati: "Anyway, you have no idea how silly such ipse dixits sound to real Ph.D. scientists like me who are Christian believers."

So apologies to all those believers who want to wave away these ridiculous Bible stories as purely allegorical - a "real Ph.D. scientist who is a Christian believer" begs to differ with you ;)

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 10  

A replica of something that never existed. How does that work?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 11  

The story of Noah is one of the worst representations of God in the Bible. The Big Guy is a sadistic prick, just in general, but he's really getting his rocks off with this one. Even calculating the population of the Earth to be only a few million at that point*, he's still drowning thousands upon thousands of children, many of them babies, whose only crime was that they chose their parents poorly.

The story also presents us with a God who is utterly unwilling to accept responsibility for his own actions. He created us, yet any flaws we have are our fault. This is like a carpenter making a chair, doing a shoddy job of it, and then burning the chair to punish it when it falls apart.

Mind you, as I have often said, I would have a whole lot less trouble believing in God if it was the Old Testament version still being sold to us. Looking at the state of the World today, it definitely seems like something he'd have had a hand in!

_________

* I have seen estimates as hight as 10 million. This is based on the time between Adam and Noah being just over 1600 years, and calculating a doubling of the population every 75 years, as it has recently. So, start with 2x2=4, 4x2=8, 8x2=16, and so on -- tho I am not sure who the first two are supposed to be. Adam and Eve had seven children, according to the Bible, and that throws off this calculation considerably.

(When I do that math I get closer to 7,000,000, but arithmatic was never my best subject.)

And yes, yes, the second chapter of Genesis forces us into unavoidable considerations of incest, and for several generations. If only God, when dictating the Bible, had stuck with the version he gives in the first chapter of Genesis, where he creates Mankind in one sweep, not just one man (and one woman, as an afterthought).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2016 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 12  

What if the `Ark` was just a receptacle for DNA? Feeding the 5,000 was replicator technology? Angels were astronauts with illuminated helmets giving us halos? The star of Bethlehem a spaceship in orbit? The virgin birth a test tube baby?A much more realistic story!

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version